GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife licensed all three of our motorcycles and our utility trailer yesterday. Montana went to a new system this year, and each bike cost $36.75 to license, but they never have to be licensed again :D

Last year, it cost nearly as much to license my 02 1800 as it did to licence all three bikes this year :!: The other bikes are a 1982 Suzuki GS 850 GL and a 1998 GL 1500 SE.

I'm frankly shocked and pleasantly surprised to see this......do any other states have such a licensing system?

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Never have heard of anything like this.....but I sure like it. I guess I can dream, but Calif. will never go to a system like that. When I retire in 3 1/2 yrs., I won't be able to pack my bags fast enough to leave this place.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Ed, what color is your GS850L? I have a 1982 black/silver model. This is one great bike. All that I need to do is put a new battery in it and clean out the carbs and it could be a daily driver again.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
That is a sweet deal. Funny enough, NY is pretty cheap. $12 per year for the Wing. Now my friends in California, have got to get a bank loan every time they register a vehicle. And don't forget the added costs to California motor vehicles for the emissions engines required.

NY ain't all that great a place, 2nd highest state for individual taxes, but on Motor Vehicle registrations, they have it right....Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bulldog

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
wisconsin is $ 24 for two years for each bike.

its about time someone gets a break on something.

but of course its never here in americas taxland.

loren

G

·
0 Posts
$20 per year here in I O W A ....ofcourse motorcycles are exempt from the corn tax :lol:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Arkansas - each bike is $7 a year :a13:

Of course, that's only the license and registration. To get that we have to pay personal property tax on the vehicle. It probably works out.

We can renew our registraions on-line, but to register a newly acquired vehicle, we still have to go to the revenue office.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here in Ga. I paid 132.59 for my tag on a 1998 R1100RT. Not got my Goldwing yet.

That seems high to me, people think that taxes in the South are low but not in Ga. our politicans just love to spend our money.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Taxachusetts went to a lifetime registration a few years ago. It was a real nice surprise. Two years later, they send out new registration renewal forms which in effect said "two years ago we were kidding" you have to start paying again. Last year they raised the registration fee.

The new governer won his election last time around on a no new taxes pledge. Has has since raised fees by a total of 1 billion dollars in this state, since fees are not a tax...ya right.

John

·
Registered
221 Posts
In Calif Gov. Arnold reduced the vehicle license fee back to where it was before Gov. Davis raised it last year and has also promised the same no new taxes but he will start adding Fees to things.

:yw1:

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Fees and taxes are the same thing, different words to me.

Arizonas new democrate governor put together a group to look at reform in our taxes and fees. Suddenly all of the fees are too low when compared to many other states.... LOL

AZ has a permanent license plate on most light trailers. My tandem axle car trailer has a permanent plate on it. AZ plates are a bit higher than most states. That is why there is a new task force to locate people that are legal residents with out of state plates. Lot s of folks are getting $300 - 500.00 tickets now. They don't beleive the MVD officers can write a ticket to them..... they can. My brother is one of these officers.

My drivers license is good till 2014, hopefully I will be too... ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
license

In KY it cost $17.50 to register my bike. But then I pay the personal property tax on it every year. Same as my car and truck. I have a little 2 wheel ramped trailer I keep around just for emergency pickups and last year I got my registration notice and they wanted th $17.50 plus taxes on a $500 value. Now I only paid $400 for the trailer 3-4 years ago. So off I go to the PVA with a complaint. The clerk asked my what the value of the trailer was. Being a smart a--, I said "Oh, bout a dollar". She said OK and changed it. I tried the same thing on my bike and car and she laughed at me as said nice try.
Matter-of-fact The plate is still hanging out in the garage and the trailer is sitting out at my son-in-laws farm. He airs up the tires every once in a while and moves it around to keep it outta the way of mowing.
What really gripes me here in KY is the tax on unmined minerals. I gotta pay that and then when the oil is pumped outta the ground I pay again. And there is a vein of coal that I am taxed on that will probably never be mined. At least in my life time.
Don't get me started on taxes.
BTW............All you guys keep paying those fed taxes so my retirement check can keep hitting the bank.
:duck:
Jerry

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
In South Carolina, it is optional to license
my Bustec trailer. If I do, it will be a once
only licensing. The Goldwing on the other
hand is the traditional every year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
South Dakota...$23.50 for 02 1800 Lic. Insurance $261.00 full coverage for year. 4-wheeler's not much more....Plus no state income tax....Good state to retire in if you don't mind only being able to ride 8 months a year on average with a couple of them being very iffie.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts