GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass

The National Park Service is an important participant in the new Interagency Pass Program which was created by the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act and authorized by Congress in December 2004. Participating agencies include the National Park Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture - Forest Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management and Bureau of Reclamation. The pass series, collectively known as the America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass.

If you are 62 or over, it costs $10 and is good for your LIFETIME!!!! Pass also includes up to 3 passengers in your vechical.

Info avaialable here.

http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Great post...I knew about this and just waiting for the age....great deal for everyone....

·
Registered
522 Posts
Great post...I knew about this and just waiting for the age....great deal for everyone....
One more month for me. The lady at the entrance to Zion reminded me of this in September.
Nice lady and I should have asked her for a phone number.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've had one for some time. My wife becomes eligible this year, so if we have two of 'em, will the gummint pay us to visit one of the parks?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Not old enough for the best deal offered by the NPS, but when living out west getting the Golden Eagle Pass was an annual ritual.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not really recommending this, but I have 2 passes. Left mine in the camper one day and took a ride thru a park on the bike, cost me less to get another pass then the price of admission soooo now there is one always in the camper, and one in my wallet, cannot miss. By the way, I smile every time a ride happens to go thru a park where the other guys have to ante up just to traverse the park.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
the pass is totaly free at any age, if your disabled

i guess i will attempt to get one next time i am at a national park with fees

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The Access Pass is free for Veterans and other with disabilities.

Great to have! In a four year span, I bet my pass has saved us $200-$300 in National Park fees and camping fees.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got a pass last year and used it at Colorado National Monument, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Yosemite, Redwood National Park, Mt. St. Helens, and Glacier National Park. Best $10.00 I ever spent!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Can't beat $10 to get into national parks and stuff. 50% off on camping too. Wish it gave a break on user fees, those cost me $100 a year just for the Wayne National Forest.

Couple more years until I'm eligible.

In Ohio, the Golden Buckeye Pass will get you 50% off (on weekdays) at state park campgrounds. The state automatically sends you the card after your 60th birthday. We're going to take advantage of that starting this summer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Access Pass is free for Veterans and other with disabilities.

Great to have! In a four year span, I bet my pass has saved us $200-$300 in National Park fees and camping fees.
Gee, I guess I didn't read far enough down when I looked it up. I just stopped when I hit the one for 62 and over :shrug:. I guess that VA Disability they gave me may come in handy after all :eek:4:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't beat $10 to get into national parks and stuff. 50% off on camping too. Wish it gave a break on user fees, those cost me $100 a year just for the Wayne National Forest.
When I asked the White Mountain National Forest folks about it, they said it was good for fees in the National Forest too. At least they said they would waive the parking fees, not sure about other fees.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Got a pass last year and used it at Colorado National Monument, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Yosemite, Redwood National Park, Mt. St. Helens, and Glacier National Park. Best $10.00 I ever spent!
Nah, it's your marriage license - at least in my case.:yes1:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Last May, my wife and I went to Great Basin National Park which doesn't charge an entrance fee, but does charge for the tours of Lehman Caves.

While buying our tickets, the ranger asked if I had any passes. (I didn't)
He asked if I was 62 or older. (I was 57)
He asked if I wanted an Access Pass. (Never heard of it)
He said it is for people with permanent disabilities that severely limits one or more major life activities. (I really never thought of missing most of my right hand in that way. Just an inconvenience.)
He asked if my hand was permanently missing. (Huh? Yeah, I guess so)
He was insistent on giving me an Access Pass. (OK, I'm game)

At $0.00 it's not a bad deal. :smile: It has saved us almost $100 since then. Visiting the National Parks in southern Utah / northern Arizona this June will save almost another $100.

I love this thing!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Got mine in 2002 when entering Mt. Rainier NP at the recommendation of my brother. I can't tell you how many times I have enjoyed using it since. I am able to ride on the Skyline Drive (upper/northern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway) w/o paying a nickle to enter.

When I went to Mt. Rushmore in 06 I was charged $8.00. I questioned that charge because of having the pass, and was told that it was a parking fee as the Park Service outsources the parking garage. I was pleasant to the NPS person with whom I talked, but inside I was not a happy camper. However, I got over it pretty quickly tho'.

I share that info with you just to inform others that you may end up paying a fee despite having the pass for entry into the park. Have not experienced a fee anywhere else.

The pass is a wonderful benefit for U. S. taxpayers that like to travel and visit the NP's. I highly recommend that you get yours as soon as you are eligible. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I turned 62 last May, and on my birthday I went down and got my lifetime senior pass. I was informed that with the pass, entrance to all National Parks, monuments, etc., is free, and many of the other fees such as parking and camping fees may be waived or cut in half. I don't remember what we paid at Mt. Rushmore to park, but perhaps the pass gets you in the garage for less than the regular fee.

I'm glad to have the pass, though, and even on two motorcycles, they've never made us pay an extra fee for my wife to get in. In fact, in a couple parks we were a big group and the attendant in the booth waived us all in after the group leader presented his senior pass!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts