GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any tips about obtaining a motorcycle lift for the GL1800? I don't have the room for a full size platform lift. Can one of the underframe ones be used with or without bike modifications?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Lots of lifts out on the market, It all depends on how much jingle that you want to part with and do you want a manual or air over hydraulic model.

Bulldog

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lifts

Bulldog said:
Lots of lifts out on the market, It all depends on how much jingle that you want to part with and do you want a manual or air over hydraulic model.

I know about the large platform lifts, I want to know if anyone is using one of the small ones that jack from under the frame.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Lift

I had a Larin just like the sears lift it was OK I now have the Pitt Bull Air over Hydraulic the is a great lift very stable.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Re: lifts

NL7U said:
I know about the large platform lifts, I want to know if anyone is using one of the small ones that jack from under the frame.
Bulldog (above) sells the Pit Bull lift but is too much of a gentleman :wink: to try and sell you one on this thread. Drop him a PM, email or call him.

Here
is a link to his page that sells the lift. It is pricer than the Sears or Harbor Frieght, but you get what you pay for. His prices are very good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: lifts

.[/quote]

I know about the large platform lifts, I want to know if anyone is using one of the small ones that jack from under the frame.[/quote]

I guess I am not making myself very clear...what I want to know is if the lifts are going to lift the bike and not have it fall off. The bottom of the bike seems to be "not flat", so will the bike wobble like a weeble when it is on it?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Larry - I have been using the cheapest lift made - about like a Harbor Freight, but got it from Schucks for $39.95 - and been using it for about 5 years. They are rated for 1500 pounds, the bike weighs less than 1000, so it will hold it up. I have found that when I lift the bike, take it all the way to the top. That puts the weight of the bike on the steel lifting bars and the pivot pins, not on the hydraulic jack. The rear arms are under the pivots for the center stand, and they are far apart enough to keep the bike pretty stable. However, I do not think I would recommend getting on and off of it while up in the air. But, it is steady enough to work on.

And, yes, it fits without modification.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Like has been noted above, lots of lifts to pick from. Just for your info, my bike on the Sears lift. I didn't have the tie downs on in these pictures as I was just trying out the jack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts