GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to find a motorcycle lift for my father's 2001 GL1800. To my knowledge, he does not have a belly pan installed. What lifts will work with the stock GL1800? I saw the new Craftsman lift, but wasn't sure if it'd work. TIA! :beer2:

-Tim

·
Registered
117 Posts
Lift

If you can afford it go pit bull. He will love you for it :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will it fit the stock GL1800? That one is a bit pricey, but always an option. Anybody else with any other suggestions? Thanks for the response firemanrick :s27:

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
both the pit bull and the sears lift will work on the 1800 as well as most other brands but the pit bull is the cadilac a very high quallity lift, lifts higher,more stable,rolls easier and great warranty. no need to be concerned about the belly pan issue the lifts will work the same with or without a belly pan. I have a homemade lift and it works fine but a pit bull sure would be nice.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
SentraSR20 - there are a variety of motorcycle lifts out there that work quite well with the 1800. I saw a PowerLift at my local Costco a few weeks after I bought my Wing for $89.95 and bought it on the spot. It's not quite as fancy as the Sear's lift, but at the time I wasn't aware of their's anyway or I might have gone that route. Mine has a slightly lower profile so fits easier under the Wing than the Sear's model, which sometimes requires the user to drive the front of the Wing up on a 2 X 4.

Bottom line, it works great. I use it all the time and for a variety of reasons, and the bike is secure and quite sturdy while lifted. Like similar models it has 4 nice security lines to use as well. Sure, some of the other lifts would be much nicer, but the difference in cost paid for a nice set of Gerbing liners I just added to my list of goodies so I'm happy. A lift is great for a Wing owner and I wouldn't be without one.

DaleC

·
Registered
990 Posts
If you can afford it the pit bull is the way to go. I am going to purchase one at the bike show in New Jersey in January. I'll be saving the shipping costs. Cost will be about $375. Sears lift is O K, but I gave it to my son for his dirt bike, because it did not seem that secure with the Wing on it. Of course that's my opinion on the Sears lift. :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your replies, the suggestions are taken into account. Keep 'em coming if you got more! :wink:

·
Registered
891 Posts
My lift don't Travel

Why get a Cadilac,when a Hundi will do the job. This is A HONDA it won't,be on that lift too much.The Wing is my Cadilac,not my Jack.and I do travel well. I think it is hard to beat the Sears Lift for the bucks.I have the Larin,been haveing it for four and a half years,low maintance,not much use,but works for me. Also you should strap off any bike up in the air,so I see no problem with,the Sears Lift if that what you want,it's got a iron clad warranty,unlike the Larin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Pit Bull is the ONLY way to go. I know it costs a lot more, but it's not worth dumping your Wing with a cheap one like I did. The Larin lift I had broke after I got it all the way up and and put my bike on it's side on my garage floor. I could have bought several Pit Bulls for what that cost in damages.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried Sears and it worked ok, but I really wanted to be able to move the Wing around the garage and it could not handle that. The Pitbull has a larger "footprint", much larger and better wheels, raises higher, and is just a superior product. The handle makes it is easy to move it all over the garage. In fact, I have to make sure I screw down the stops or it will roll due to the very slight slant of the garage floor. I love it. JMHO

·
Registered
202 Posts
We've used (and own) 4 different brands of lifts. The Harbor Frieght, the Larin, and a couple of "no name" lifts. Some are more stable than others. The sears lift looks good.

Most of the lifts we've used roll nicely with the wing lifted up. We usually pull into shop forward, then after work, just swing the lift/bike combo 180 and ride back out.

The pit bull is nice, but just not worth the money. Take the footprint measurements of the pitbull and look for a similar lift. You'll be happy with the results.

ken

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The research continues.... 8) Thank you all for your help, it's appreciated! :capwin:

·
Registered
354 Posts
I bought a lift from Sams Club club. The first time I used it my only thought was, your lifting a $15000 motorcycle with a $90 lift. To say the least its not confidence inspiring. I still use it very carefully, but I wish I would have bought a better one. good luck choosing.
Steve

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Steve - your lifting capacity is considerably more than the weight of your Wing and it lifts it with ease. Check and see, I believe your's also has a safety latch too, but regardless, use the safety ties and don't lose any sleep (or worry) over it.

DaleC

P.S. The cost is relatively unimportant. I'll guarantee you that Pitbull did not cost $90. to manufacture.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Lifting the Wing

Not to get involved in the brand of the lift, but in the physical lifting of the Wing. It appears that for a flat area at the rear of the 1800 is to lift on the center stand in the folded position. If this is correct, is there any extra strain on the frame that would stress it? Or tend to bend the center stand?
I think I lie awake at night just thinking of weird stuff like this.
Bobnpaso

·
Registered
81 Posts
pit bull lifts

the pit bull can be used with a belly pan. if you don't have a belly pan pit bull has an adapter. I think that their best feature is their large base-very stable.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have an Eagle lift. It is excellent! Since I've had it several years, I'm not sure how the price would compare with a Pit Bull lift. When I bought it, it was about $300. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
81 Posts
size of the base of the lift

What I like about Pit Bull's lift, when compared to others, is the size of their base. Its huge when compared to many other lifts, and thats why their lift is so stable. I have used friend's lifts but currently do not own one. I am leaning towards buying a pit bull but what ever I buy it will have a large base. Its hard to describe the difference until you see it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts