GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a curiosity for me. I have two Rtrikes and occasionally if I push it hard I can stand the bikes up on two wheels. Normally lifting the inside wheel a foot or so.
For the most part this is non intentional but it does happen especially if I power out of a turn.
I was just curious if regular trikes do the same?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Happens to me all the time. Can lift a wheel in just about any curve pretty much as I want to. I prefer to just lift the wheel up enough to break traction and squeal the tire. But that is just me.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Off the topic a bit but are any of those conversion kits geared such that you can do a clutch up wheelie from stop or while rolling down the road?

If so which conversion kits?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Like Rodger, I can get a wheel up in any turn at will, but not always a good idea.

Section168:
I really don't think there is, as the counter balancing when Triked just won't allow it. There was one kit that would, and that was a Motor Trike GL1500 ( first model I seem to remember ) and Motor Trike VOIDED many a Warranty ( again from what I was told ) due to Hot Dogging, which resulted in Twisting the Drive shaft in half..........:shock:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Like Rodger, I can get a wheel up in any turn at will, but not always a good idea.

Section168:
I really don't think there is, as the counter balancing when Triked just won't allow it. There was one kit that would, and that was a Motor Trike GL1500 ( first model I seem to remember ) and Motor Trike VOIDED many a Warranty ( again from what I was told ) due to Hot Dogging, which resulted in Twisting the Drive shaft in half..........:shock:
And would you have any personal experience in the twisted drive shaft?????????:joke::joke::joke:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
And would you have any personal experience in the twisted drive shaft?????????:joke::joke::joke:
Not me but a friend down in NOLA area does Twice, before MT Charged him dearly, and he got a nasty note telling that from that date on there was NO Warranty on his kit..... He was Pissed, but brought it all on himself. He is also a self proclaimed Sex-Annalist: If you know what that is,,,;)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Not me but a friend down in NOLA area does Twice, before MT Charged him dearly, and he got a nasty note telling that from that date on there was NO Warranty on his kit..... He was Pissed, but brought it all on himself. He is also a self proclaimed Sex-Annalist: If you know what that is,,,;)
No and I'm not sure I want to know....:wrong:

·
Banned
939 Posts

Section168:
JK51X, Thanks for the info. I have been toying around with buying an early model gl1800 and getting creative with the gearing amongst other things to play around with in the parking lot and improve my very modest shop skills and gl1800 knowledge.

Do you or does anyone else know of any trike magazines that have put their archives online via subscription or for free? Or perhaps a trike specific forum that you may recommend that is heavy on the tech side of things?

I would like to do some reading up on different things that have been done to date by conversion companies and or individuals.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Just 2 points I'd like to make..............

1. It's always the inside tire getting up. It's impossible to get the outside one up without crashing.

2. There are Federal laws protecting warranty rights. Sorry, but the motortrike was still under warranty until the time and or mileage excluded it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have been told that a trike will slide before tipping. Is that incorrect?

Ken

·
Registered
103 Posts
Trike

Not me but know of someone who locked up the breaks and flipped it, R I P.
I was not there but coming to me. Traffic stopped on freeway. Don't realy know circumstance but it happens

·
Registered
520 Posts
Depends on kit

I have been told that a trike will slide before tipping. Is that incorrect?

Ken
I think this really depends on the kit. Hannigan tald me that while the trike CAN be tipped over, one would really have to work hard to make it happen due to the width and wheelbase of the Hannigan. Not all kits have the footprint.

I can and have unloaded a wheel and squeeled a tire but thats VERY different from actually lifting a wheel off the ground. I think a lot of people confuse that. I have not tried nor do I think I will try to lift a wheel off the grounds but thats just my riding style.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I recognize that I'm gettin' older and that it definitely does not take as much to peg my thrill meter as it used to!:22yikes:

I'll say that I much MUCH prefer to keep all three of my tires in firm contact with the road surface. I agree that if you accelerate while negotiating a tight turn, it's fairly easy to unload the inside rear wheel enough to spin it a bit. I've done that a time or two at slow (parking lot) speeds, but never while negotiating a curve or turn at any kind of speed.

I think a guy oughta do what he thinks he oughta do, as long as he's prepared to deal with the potential consequences. My large drive area is a caliche/gravel type surface. It's possible to sort of hang the rear end out, as with a sporty automobile if you manage the clutch and throttle properlyduring a tight turn. Get's my wife's heartbeat stiring, and brings me a firm smack on the head/helmet!!

My RoadSmith is also of the wider footprint, longer wheelbase type of machine. It is very stable and gives no indication of getting squirrely if operated anywhere near rationally. I've never really pushed it hard, but have never felt uncomfortable with it's handling, even in some twisties here and there. Then again, I try very hard to make sure I'm slowed to the point I wish to be before I enter the curves/turns, and it's my practice to then be under slight acceleration as I negotiate them. I try very hard to never ride faster than I can stop in the distance I can actually see, especially on unfamiliar roadways. My wife and I really feel comfortable and secure on our trike. That makes riding a real pleasure!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well I'm a conservative rider (hopefully). I haven't discovered the limits yet, and I certainly don't want to discover them by tipping! OTOH, I don't know if I'm too conservative.

Ken

·
Registered
640 Posts
Like Dirty Harry said....a mans got to know his limitations....

I've seen and had the inside rear wheel off the ground at slower speed in parking lots when doing a trike course with a GWRRA group....

It feels like the faster your going the harder it is to pull up a wheel, but that may just be me....I'm not gonna really push it that hard and find out for sure...

Rip
2008 Motortrike

·
Registered
127 Posts
I caught a hard right-hand turn about a month ago that had fresh repair work on the inside berm area out about 2 feet. It must have been somewhat oily. Midway thru the arc of the turn the rear slid and the left grabbed suddenly. The right side lifted up abot a foot. I stay in the turn, just dropping the throttle enough to slow down. When the tire again came into contact with the road surface it barked a little. My wife is accustomed to occasional squeals on the twisties and didn't give it much thought. I was going too fast on an unknown road and got much more lift than i care to get into again. I did learn how to handle a two-wheel roll and to take it a little easier in strange territory.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I went to a three wheeler course and was taught to apply the front break while accelerating at slower speeds simultaneously. In this tactic you are encouraging the rear wheels to temporarily to loose traction power sliding the rear end around a corner. With tactic you are keeping the outside rear wheel from lifting. This is taught at a Washington state certified course. Of course yall know if your front wheel locks up under hard breaking you are to keep it locked to up til you stop?
You three wheel OP's are so lucky. If you want swap for a day I have 01 Wing 2 wheeler....Let's ride Side cars a da bomb

1 - 19 of 19 Posts