GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Couple more views of the bike on the lift.

View attachment 50415 View attachment 50416
I too have the belly pan (not as nice as yours) and I'm wondering what is behind the pan at that point that's taking the weight at the lift point up front.
One other thing, you said....."When lowering the bike, chain the safety bar back in place so the lift will go all the way down, then QUICKLY press the foot release lever all the way. If you slowly push the lever to the full down position, you WILL end up with the bike rapidly going down as the rapid release position is halfway down on the lever."
Are you saying that you mash the "down" lever to get the bike to come down without and drama? :shrug:
BTW, I have the same HF lift.
Steve F

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
I too have the belly pan (not as nice as yours) and I'm wondering what is behind the pan at that point that's taking the weight at the lift point up front.
One other thing, you said....."When lowering the bike, chain the safety bar back in place so the lift will go all the way down, then QUICKLY press the foot release lever all the way. If you slowly push the lever to the full down position, you WILL end up with the bike rapidly going down as the rapid release position is halfway down on the lever."
Are you saying that you mash the "down" lever to get the bike to come down without and drama? :shrug:
BTW, I have the same HF lift.
Steve F
The other side of the pan is the lower case of the engine, and is fully able to take the lift. The pan is one of Macgyver0856's, and yes it is a nice pan.

Hold the bike when lowering, make sure the side stand is down.

And yes, mash the down lever so you bypass the "rapid lower" portion of the lift lower. The rapid lower is for when there is no weight on the lift, allows the oil to rapidly drain out the lift jack. And in a way it makes sense - which is easier - partially push a lever down for a slow speed, or just mash it to the floor?

The thinner pans make some creaking noise when jacking the bike up, but it really isn't an issue.

Hold the bike when lowering, and make sure the side stand is down.

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
1,915 Posts

Yes, exactly. If you want to lower the load quicker, ease off VERY SLIGHTLY to quicken. If you decide no to lower the load, take your foot off the pedal quickly.

Had the HF lift. Felt it was too "tippy" for a GW1800. Have a J&S. Run tie-down straps through the front and rear crash bars.

Easier and safer if you break the lug nuts loose while bike is on the ground.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The two acorn nuts that hold the belly pan and lower cover on each side are screwed to welded supports to the exhaust. The lower side covers have some slip on clips on the rear and upper part that slide on to small rubber wedges for a tight fit and the two acorn nuts attach to the bottom and a bolt comes in from the front.

You can see the lower cover support bolt brackets welded to the exhaust in the parts pic (left side exhaust pipe above the #4).

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053edcaf870021c54be4f3f/muffler-2

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Dynodon - good input but he normally lays it over to change the tire, but now he's farkled himself out of that option. So he's going to have to do the jack it up and drop the tire routine. He can't just put it on the center stand and pull the rear fender as he's got a trailer hitch back there.

Poor Eddie - all them toys to deal with. :lol::twisted:
A case of me not reading far enough....my bad, thanks for the gentle correction! :yes1:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Can you still remove the centre rear section and get it out that way?
For 2010 Honda moved the amplifier to in back of the rear wheel. The procedure for removing the rear wheel now includes unplugging the amplifier. In order to unplug the amplifier you have to remove the seat. I suspect that if you had an assistant to hold the amplifier out of the way you could still remove the rear fender and roll the wheel out. This is covered in Fred's video.

This case is different because there is a trailer hitch installed. If the trailer hitch is removable then that may be the solution. After the wheel is removed then joy of demounting and mounting a new tire is next. :joke:

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Jerry,
Once again you da man. Looks just like the jack I have and thanks for posting the pics. Man, That white stuff is piling up? We had our once every few years snow yesterday here and it snowed for about 2 hours and when it was over we had about 1/8 inch accumulation. Next trip to harbor freight I may pick up a snow shovel JUST IN CASE...They say next week we may have more flurries (whatever that is)...
Fast Eddie

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
For 2010 Honda moved the amplifier to in back of the rear wheel. The procedure for removing the rear wheel now includes unplugging the amplifier. In order to unplug the amplifier you have to remove the seat. I suspect that if you had an assistant to hold the amplifier out of the way you could still remove the rear fender and roll the wheel out. This is covered in Fred's video.

This case is different because there is a trailer hitch installed. If the trailer hitch is removable then that may be the solution. After the wheel is removed then joy of demounting and mounting a new tire is next. :joke:
Thought the op was referring to the '02 in the sig, and didn't know he had a trailer hitch to work around.
Thanks for getting me on track.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Jerry,
Once again you da man. Looks just like the jack I have and thanks for posting the pics. Man, That white stuff is piling up? We had our once every few years snow yesterday here and it snowed for about 2 hours and when it was over we had about 1/8 inch accumulation. Next trip to harbor freight I may pick up a snow shovel JUST IN CASE...They say next week we may have more flurries (whatever that is)...
Fast Eddie
There are certain words and phrases that we are no longer allowed to use on this board... However I am thinking of many of them in response to your comment above. :twisted::lol:

Glad the pics helped ya. I even had to remove the cover off the bike to do the demo. The efforts I go to for supposed friends - and then they go and post unkind comments. We may have snow - but you get fire ant invasions. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Mine is an 02 like in my sig? Fire Ants? We have found a use for our OLD chemicals that wind up unused in our shops. Or we just burn the lawns off once a year to make them move over into our neighbor's yards. Thanks again for the pics Jerry.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Not sure if you guys have seen this video on lifts...pretty good video.

John
​John, I think i know of the video you talk about - it was a sales video for a really nice (and pricey) lift. But unless you post a link to it - ain't nobody gonna see it :wink:.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Sorry Guys...getting old I guess :?: Here is the link.

ssncob...this might be the video you are referring to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avJ2a0oOvCU

It does look like a pretty nice lift IMO...John
Yep, that's the video I remembered. Nice lift, but waaaay out of my price range for as rare as I use a lift. The HF is a cheap lift (cost and construction), but it is sturdy enough to do what I need it to do when I need a lift.

And Eddie - this is what you need to do with the fire ant mounds. Showed this to my wife - she thought it was cool. Now she wants an ant mound in the yard just so she can have me make one of these sculptures. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJ2jMZ-gaI

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
For the mildly paranoid . . . put a Bungee Cord on the Kick Stand that holds it in the extended position. That way when you lower the bike, even if at an unintentionally rapid pace, it'll be guaranteed to make a three point landing . . . even on the second or third bounce.

·
Registered
222 Posts
SSNCob,

Thanks for the great pics, Dang it though!! Why did you have to wait so long to get them posted up!! I had looked at that same exact HF lift this last week and since I could not find pics of it in use, I had reservations about getting that one as it seemed that it would barely fit under the wing. So I ordered an OTC lift that folds down to just 3 1/2 inches. http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1545-Motorcycle-Lift/dp/B000OCHCIW/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

LOL Just giving you a hard time, but still thanks for the pics as they are a good reference point as to where to position the lift itself. Just finally getting serious about doing my own work on the wing rather than just taking it to a shop.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
You first

Cheap, portable and affordable. :joke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXRNH3T3P_E
Uh-huh - tell ya what - you go first and let us know how it works... :eek:4::eek:4: :lol:

Not to mention the hernia you'll have from trying to rotate a 1000 lb bike up like that. Can I have the parts off of your wing afterwords?? :twisted::tongue:

21 - 40 of 48 Posts