GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Wing with a Champion trike conversion with running boards. I cannot get my jack under the trike because of the low clearance. I want to change the front tire. Is it safe to lift the front forks of a trike with a Pitbull front stand or will there be too much weight on the bottom of the fork tubes? Will it be possible to remove the front axle with the stand in place as long as the pinch bolts are loosened ahead of time?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Dave

D

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
When I had a trike, I lifted the trike with my pitbull & then placed wood blocks under the rear tires & released the jack until the rear wheels touched the wood blocks & stopped & let the jack hold the front end while I worked on it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am talking about a Pitbull track stand that is used to raise the front end of a sport bike rather than a Pitbull jack.

Dave

·
Registered
582 Posts
My first thought is probably not a good idea but I don't know that for a fact. Can you get your jack under it if you run the front tire up on blocks or a ramp?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I’m thinking that you would want the front suspension hanging free to service it. A scissor jack would do it. I know you talked about clearance, but maybe make a wood ramp to drive the front wheel up onto to gain jacking clearance Would be the magic trick.

·
Vendor
16,026 Posts
I have a 2006 Wing with a Champion trike conversion with running boards. I cannot get my jack under the trike because of the low clearance. I want to change the front tire. Is it safe to lift the front forks of a trike with a Pitbull front stand or will there be too much weight on the bottom of the fork tubes? Will it be possible to remove the front axle with the stand in place as long as the pinch bolts are loosened ahead of time?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Your problem might be 2 fold. First is the low clearance and then, if it a m/c floor jack, the lift will hit the floor boards. If all that is true, here is what I do. First run the front tire unto a 2x4 to get the running boards further off the ground. Next, run the jack in at an angel like below.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts