GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Direct Lift have a sale on right now and I took advantage of this so I have added this to my stable of shop equipment.
I have updated my shop now with the tools to make the work and jobs easier and safer.
Between the two I like the PitBull for working on the bike ie. tire removal.

For cleaning the bike and doing other jobs, not tire related the Direct Lift is good. This lift also has the side extensions so I can put a 4 wheeler on it and even a snowmobile.
The back of the lift slids out for easy tire removal. Not so with the GL1800. The tire is right on the cress. I would have to move the bike back a little bit and use the black jack stand support.

=============================================
More pictures here.

http://www.pbase.com/djstefanik/remodel ... _warehouse

=========================================
PitBull lift from:

Bulldog

Pitbull Lifts / Condor Wheel Chocks

Direct Lift from:
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Motor ... ts_s/2.htm

·
Registered
230 Posts
Direct lift modification

If you want to modify your Direct lift to be able to remove the rear tire,Check out my Photos on Putfile.com/jimciampi.....It works great.and the bike is very steady....Let me know what you think.....Jim

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Nice Lift Don ?.......The whole shop is looking great. Between you and "That" guy from NY you make me very jealous........ :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim, my lift does have the drop out on it. It's just that you have to move the bike back out of the front wheel chock.

Thanks Mike.
Open house will be next June. Hope you can make it next year since you missed out on my BBQ last August.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Rick. Now I understand what those other holes are for.
I may try that.

As for the PitBull lift. The wing that fell off couldn't have been on one. Maybe a smaller version like the Sears or Cosco. But for it to fall off a PitBull...no way. Not unless they were very careless in the way they had the positioned.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Who's the short guy wearing a Cats-Cade hat in some of your photos?

Nice lift by the way, saw the sale price, I'm hoping Santa will bring me one like it.

Is the Black Jack really necessary?

It looks like the rear tire sits on the drop panel but couldn't the bike just be pulled up onto the centerstand?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Black Jack was free with the lift. For those HD types you need the black jack.

Putting on the center stand is a little more dificult on the lift.

Don't know no short guy :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This guy is the best thing that ever happened to me.
Oh...he is the one with the Corona.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Thanks for your quick response.
I hope to meet you in person one day.

You're right that short guy with the Corona is a hell of a guy.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your quick response.
I hope to meet you in person one day.

You're right that short guy with the Corona is a hell of a guy.
You are welcome to come visit anytime.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Don: Nice lift. How robust is the front wheel vise? would you use the lift without strappin' it on?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The front wheel vise is very robust. Though I would NEVER lift a bike without strapping it down. But that's just me :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts