GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have come to the conclusion that it is very difficult to clean and get under my wing at any part below my ankles. And lying on the ground still ain't working. :banghead:
So this thing called a lift. How does it work? Where do you place it underneath the bike? Will it interfere with the center stand, muffler? And what should I get?

Guess you can tell I am a TC -technically challenged. :confused: So be gentle:lol:
Thanks in advance for you replies.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I went with a pit-bull lift. It is pricey but IMHO worth it for the peace of mind when the $20,000 bike is up in the air. Rear arm is under the center stand pivot and the front is where ever it falls depending on the width of your lift arms. So far no problems and I'm pleased.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How high off the ground is the lift? Do you need to place any type of padding to protect the underside?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
These are the two lifts I use... one is a table lift from Harbor Freight.....

This is a Pit Bull lift......

Each type of lift has capabilities that the other doesn't. I use the table lift when I need maximum height and I have to repeatedly raise and lower the bike. My table is air assisted, no pumping.... Pit Bull is nice for when I have to do work over many days and I have to park the bike on the lift till I can get to the next phase of work. There are cheaper and more expensive options, these work best for me..

http://www.pitbullmotorcyclelifts.com/

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94121

·
Registered
775 Posts
I prefer the one in my signature.

I also have a Larin, similar in style to the Pit Bull which I use only when I have two bikes lifted at once.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wish I had the space for that table lift!!!!:shock: The Pitbull looks more my speed and space level. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now Sunny that is one cool lift ya got there!

So if the Pitbull lift is limiting I guess you are stuck with having to purchase different lifts depending on the job at hand Hunzee?

B

·
0 Posts
I bought a Sears lift when they were on sale for $59.95. Made of heavy steel and a 1 ton bottle jack. Some feel they need to spend $500+ for the best jack money can buy to lift their Goldwing 2 feet in the air. I guess I just think differently. Both work as intended but my total cost is more than what you will pay in freight for a PitBull and I used mine the same day I bought it. It's your money, you need to decide what it's worth to you.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I bought a Sears lift when they were on sale for $59.95. Made of heavy steel and a 1 ton bottle jack. Some feel they need to spend $500+ for the best jack money can buy to lift their Goldwing 2 feet in the air. I guess I just think differently. Both work as intended but my total cost is more than what you will pay in freight for a PitBull and I used mine the same day I bought it. It's your money, you need to decide what it's worth to you.
Hmmm, a $20+K dollar bike being wrestled around on a $50 dollar jack built in some asian country. If you have one or two helpers then ya you might get lucky. Yes I have a friend who owns that very same Sears jack, and yes it takes two of us to safely move his bike around his garage. The first time his jack caught a pebble in the wheel he called me on the phone. I had to come over right away, he almost tipped it over, needed help. If you work alone and really need a jack with 24+ inches of lift and a really wide stance that rolls with the touch of finger, then yah you spend $500 bucks. However, if you watch e-bay and craigs list you can come by a Pitbull for much less. In my opinon a $50 jack is not very safe compared to a Pitbull. You are exactly right Bigdaddy, you get what you pay for....

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I use the ac delco works excellent
lift is about 4 inches high compressed
lifts the bike 22 inches

also be very sure when it is up to strap it to the lift front and rear for safety some may not , but safer
get 4 short ratcheing straps

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am using this lift made by Easy Rizer.
It is rated at 1650#'s
Does what I need it to
So far so good

·
Registered
775 Posts
28Wheels,
that's an interesting design. Looks pretty good for someone needing to save space.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I am using this lift made by Easy Rizer./quote]

That is a Euro made lift, I didn't see much in the way of state side distributors. Freight cost must be extremely high. Nice lift though....

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hmmm, a $20+K dollar bike being wrestled around on a $50 dollar jack built in some asian country. If you have one or two helpers then ya you might get lucky. Yes I have a friend who owns that very same Sears jack, and yes it takes two of us to safely move his bike around his garage. The first time his jack caught a pebble in the wheel he called me on the phone. I had to come over right away, he almost tipped it over, needed help. If you work alone and really need a jack with 24+ inches of lift and a really wide stance that rolls with the touch of finger, then yah you spend $500 bucks. However, if you watch e-bay and craigs list you can come by a Pitbull for much less. In my opinon a $50 jack is not very safe compared to a Pitbull. You are exactly right Bigdaddy, you get what you pay for....
+1 Well stated.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am using this lift made by Easy Rizer./quote]

That is a Euro made lift, I didn't see much in the way of state side distributors. Freight cost must be extremely high. Nice lift though....

Bought during Bike Week 2009
Free shipping out of Atlanta Ga.
No sales tax
Takes up very little space
Easy to move around

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
My Sears lift raises my bike up; my Sears lift puts my bike back down. That seems perfectly good enough for me, but then I don't wrestle my bike; I just work on it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My Sears lift raises my bike up; my Sears lift puts my bike back down. That seems perfectly good enough for me, but then I don't wrestle my bike; I just work on it.
You must have watched video
No wrestling with bike in my future either

1 - 20 of 83 Posts