GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.....

Just picked up a 06 Wing last night..... I think I'm gonna like this bike :)

Anyway, I noticed that some of the lights (radio button 4, 5 and 6 and one or two more) don't work.

I think what I need to do is remove the top shelter to get access to the bulb(s) underneath. Is this correct?

Assuming that is correct, is there anything else I should do? The bike has 17K miles on it so I'm guessing a new air filter wouldn't be a bid idea?

I also think a repair/service manual would be a good thing. Any suggestions as to which one(s) and where to get them?

And an owners manual..... are these available in digital form as well as hard copy?

Anything other words of wisdom from the gurus?

If all these questions have been asked before.... please accept my apology.

Now, let the journey begin.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Hello all.....

Anyway, I noticed that some of the lights (radio button 4, 5 and 6 and one or two more) don't work.

I think what I need to do is remove the top shelter to get access to the bulb(s) underneath. Is this correct?

Assuming that is correct, is there anything else I should do? The bike has 17K miles on it so I'm guessing a new air filter wouldn't be a bid idea?

I also think a repair/service manual would be a good thing. Any suggestions as to which one(s) and where to get them?

And an owners manual..... are these available in digital form as well as hard copy?

Regards,
Mike
Mike
Congratulations welcome to the site. Do an advance search may find information on past post. The more informed will respond soon.. Great site and people!!
Joe

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hello all.....

I noticed that some of the lights (radio button 4, 5 and 6 and one or two more) don't work.

Regards,
Mike
The bulbs are little "peanut" bulbs in a special twist lock holder, see item 3 in the link below.

https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053ed72f870021c54be474c/audio-unit-gl180006

I found some red peanut bulbs on E bay or Amazon a few years ago that fit just fine, what I did was to order a complete replacement OEM set for my 2013, installed them and then stripped out the OEM bulbs from the holders I removed from the bike and outfitted them with the red ones I bought, so next time I have to go in and change bulbs I can red ones in all around.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Yes, there are 6 bulbs. If any are out, I replace them all. Be sure to check your control panels on each side, and the handle bar switches. If you have radio bulbs out, most likely other are out too. The same is true for the others. In a switch assembly, if 1 is out, replace them all.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All, thanks for the input.

I agree.... replace them all when you're in there.

I found a thread where someone replaced their lights with red units and I really liked the way they turned out. Are the handlebar switches the same light bulbs?

Any suggestions for a source for red bulbs? Would prefer exact fit if that's possible.

To those that you have had their top shelter off, how long should I allocate for the job? And then how much longer to get to the lights?

Anything to wary about taking the top off?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I replaced my bulbs with leds (don't forget to add appropriate resistors!). Uses quite a bit less current.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I found a thread where someone replaced their lights with red units and I really liked the way they turned out. Are the handlebar switches the same light bulbs? Any suggestions for a source for red bulbs? Would prefer exact fit if that's possible.
I pulled one of the OEM bulbs and measured the OD and length with some calipers, then found some on the internet, as I recall the red ones were a long lead from China, that why I bought new OEMs , did not want to wait for that slow boat to arrive.

The red ones I received are 3.0 mm OD x 8.0 mm long, here is a link to them, http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-pcs-Red-...s-Long-Life-/263525598427?hash=item3d5b5984db

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
All, thanks for the input.

I agree.... replace them all when you're in there.

I found a thread where someone replaced their lights with red units and I really liked the way they turned out. Are the handlebar switches the same light bulbs?

Any suggestions for a source for red bulbs? Would prefer exact fit if that's possible.

To those that you have had their top shelter off, how long should I allocate for the job? And then how much longer to get to the lights?

Anything to wary about taking the top off?
Using anything other than replacing your bulbs with OEM ones, can make for a sloppy repair. The OEM ones are made for your Wing, they fit your Wing. You don't have to worry about them staying in place by using glue or silicone. They come with their own leads and connectors ... no soldering needed.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Using anything other than replacing your bulbs with OEM ones, can make for a sloppy repair. The OEM ones are made for your Wing, they fit your Wing. You don't have to worry about them staying in place by using glue or silicone. They come with their own leads and connectors ... no soldering needed.

All very true, but you will need to do the job again as the filament breaks (aka - bulb blows out). There are LEDs that are the same exact size as the OEM incandescent bulbs, fit in and stay put just like the OEM, and one source is pre-wired with the resister. This means you just need to cut the dead bulb off and solder the plug onto the new LED (check polarity!) and put it all back together. I never wanted to ever replace any of those bulbs again and went with LED's to accomplish that. I is nice to see all of the controls at night again.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Hello all.....

Regards,
Mike

A different way to go for your Radio. https://wingconnect.com/
And Fred Harmon has a great set of DVD's for doing everyday repairs to your bike.
Fred sells New or check the GL1800 Classifieds- 4 Sale by Owner, here on the board.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Surprising that any of the bulbs burned out with only 17,000 miles, my first radio bulb burned out at about 140,000 miles but I never replaced it, now at 544,000 miles there are 2 radio bulbs not working, maybe I should order some new radio bulbs and replace them next time I have the top shelter off.

Hello all.....

Regards,
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts