GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I've been thinking about buying spare bulbs for my 04 1800. Without tearing the bike apart just to find #'s for each bulb I was wondering if someone out there has already done this and would like to share the info.

2. I'm also interested in BRIGHTER bulbs (led style) especially the rears. If anyone has info on these as well.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Common H4's for all four headlights ... available at any auto parts store and easy to replace on the road with no tools.

#7443 I think for tail lights ... also common at auto parts store ... also easy to change on the road ... no tools, just open trunk and pop off plug under tail light housing.

You've already got at least DOUBLE the tail lights/ brake lights of most cars with your 1800 ... you need more ??? I do have the spoiler with it's bright brake light and like this addition ...

·
Registered
812 Posts
headlight bulbs

On my 2006 the headlights are all H7's. H4's will fit, but most are designed for high and low beam in same light.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wayne Saunders said:
1. I've been thinking about buying spare bulbs for my 04 1800. Without tearing the bike apart just to find #'s for each bulb I was wondering if someone out there has already done this and would like to share the info.
if i'm just on a trip to nowhere in particular, i don't concern myself with carrying spares as the bulbs can be found at any well-stocked auto parts store.

Wayne Saunders said:
2. I'm also interested in BRIGHTER bulbs (led style) especially the rears. If anyone has info on these as well.
i've upgraded the low/high beams to these lights:

philips rally bulbs h7

they are 80w and they are for rally use only in the u-k, but i've never had any issues running these here. i've only been running them about 20k miles, but they are brighter and work really well. i have a few friends that have been running them for a long time with no ill effects of any kind. oh ya. they're expensive so i'm hoping they last a little longer than the stockers typically do. :)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Do your homework ... study the Internet ... 'BLUE' looking bulbs may APPEAR brighter while in fact they are only filtering out the yellow ... hence actually less light ... also more wattage may cause problems ... I had a nice bright 100 watt bulb in my GL1200 for a while and it actually scorched the chrome relfector housing !!!

·
Registered
812 Posts
80w H7 bulbs

JasonJonas: Have you experienced any problems with the wiring, mounting locations or relays, etc with the 80w bulbs? I am asking because I have often used higher wattage H4 bulbs in other bikes (Harleys) in the past without problem. When I first got my Wing I read horror stories and warning of problems with using them on the Honda. Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: 80w H7 bulbs

Analysttom said:
JasonJonas: Have you experienced any problems with the wiring, mounting locations or relays, etc with the 80w bulbs?
none whatsoever. and a couple of friends have been running them for a couple of years without any issues. these are plug-n-play bulbs. the hardest part is replacing the high beams. i have a set of fat hands. :)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You've got big hands, heh ??? No problem ... just grab some guy with little hands by the throat and "ask" him to help out !!! :lol:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Wayne - you have four headlight bulbs - all are H-7s.
Your stock stop-tail light bulbs are marked:
W21/5W Stanley 12V ED
(E4) 20W ... 13

I replaced the stock headlight bulbs with Sylvania Silver-stars - H7-ST
and am considerably more visible to oncoming traffic with them.
For rear visibility, I have a spoiler and lower reflector LED lights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts