GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
Monk.... I thought that was your natural condition... :) I just saw your comment in your post to the new rider from Hot Springs. Seriously, I sure hope the cause of the condition is temporary and can be treated easily. Prayer up for you.

Thanks, I appreciate the concern. Thinking about this, I always come back to this thought" getting old ain't for the faint of heart". I'm experiencing what that really means. The bottom line that I keep coming back to is my heart doctor's statement, "we can fix this, we just need to know exactly what is going on". To find that out, I'm visiting the heart doctors so they can find out exactly what that is. The down side of this is how much time it takes to get all the information collected to make a decision and carry it out.

What I've discovered as I travel through this, my condition has developed over the past few years. It was affecting my riding, but not bad enough to cause me to feel like I needed to get off the bike. As it progressed it became apparent that something was going on besides old age, but visits to my local doctor wasn't helping. I was unable to describe and/or demonstrate symptoms that he could interpret for a diagnosis. Things have been very frustrating. In early August my doctor picked up on information collected by Randy @1potter1 when we were checking my blood pressure. That information told the doctor something that convinced him to send me on to a Cardiologist. They found an electrical issue that they believe is the root of my problem.

I know this is a lot of information to share here on the forum, but I feel as we ALL age and attempt to continue to do what we love, it is imperative that we pay close attention to what our body is telling use. We are not iron men any longer. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the concern. Thinking about this, I always come back to this thought" getting old ain't for the faint of heart". I'm experiencing what that really means. The bottom line that I keep coming back to is my heart doctor's statement, "we can fix this, we just need to know exactly what is going on". To find that out, I'm visiting the heart doctors so they can find out exactly what that is. The down side of this is how much time it takes to get all the information collected to make a decision and carry it out.

What I've discovered as I travel through this, my condition has developed over the past few years. It was affecting my riding, but not bad enough to cause me to feel like I needed to get off the bike. As it progressed it became apparent that something was going on besides old age, but visits to my local doctor wasn't helping. I was unable to describe and/or demonstrate symptoms that he could interpret for a diagnosis. Things have been very frustrating. In early August my doctor picked up on information collected by Randy @1potter1 when we were checking my blood pressure. That information told the doctor something that convinced him to send me on to a Cardiologist. They found an electrical issue that they believe is the root of my problem.

I know this is a lot of information to share here on the forum, but I feel as we ALL age and attempt to continue to do what we love, it is imperative that we pay close attention to what our body is telling use. We are not iron men any longer. :wink2:
Bob, Your journey with this issue sounds all too familiar. Some of the may be redundant, but in my case there were several reasons it dragged on so long: In the 1990s, due to a low pulse rate, a military doc referred me to a cardiologist who diagnosed me with Athletic Heart Syndrome. He explained in detail why it was not a problem; my interpretation, it was kinda like having a Buick motor in a VW. Several years later, as a civilian, symptoms became more complicated. So I was eventually referred again to a cardiologist, who tried pills (beta blockers), which did no good, so eventually I was given a halter monitor to wear for several days, then given a stress test on a tread mill. They still could not make up their minds, so finally I was put on a tilt table, which immediately told them everything they needed to know. Shortly after, a pacemaker was installed, and the problem ended instantaneously. This November will be 10 years with the PM, and that problem has never returned. Hope they get yours figured out soon.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
Bob, Your journey with this issue sounds all too familiar. Some of the may be redundant, but in my case there were several reasons it dragged on so long: In the 1990s, due to a low pulse rate, a military doc referred me to a cardiologist who diagnosed me with Athletic Heart Syndrome. He explained in detail why it was not a problem; my interpretation, it was kinda like having a Buick motor in a VW. Several years later, as a civilian, symptoms became more complicated. So I was eventually referred again to a cardiologist, who tried pills (beta blockers), which did no good, so eventually I was given a halter monitor to wear for several days, then given a stress test on a tread mill. They still could not make up their minds, so finally I was put on a tilt table, which immediately told them everything they needed to know. Shortly after, a pacemaker was installed, and the problem ended instantaneously. This November will be 10 years with the PM, and that problem has never returned. Hope they get yours figured out soon.

I experienced the Tilt Table early last week. I spent the first half of the test not experiencing any real problems. But they told me if that happened they would give me some nitro for the second half. And that brought things out. I didn't get sick or anything like that, but I did experience the exact symptoms that I had in early August during the Raiders Ride In.

Your heart rate comment got my attention. My heart rate is also low. In my young days, I would run three miles a day and had my resting heart rate in the mid to low 40's at that time. Now it is running in the high 40's and mid to low 50's. And I'm thinking that is some of my issue? I wear a fitbit which keeps track of my heart rate. During my early morning brisk walks, I've noticed an inconsistency. Some mornings while walking it runs between 100-120. About once a week it will jump up to 165 with no change in walking speed or distance. I'm thinking that ain't normal.

I guess heritage has a lot to do with this kind of stuff. I can remember in my teens doing some kind of project in Biology class where we were looking at heart rate and exercise. And I remember at the time mine was running 60 bpm. In comparison to others that was pretty low.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Hi Bob, I was wondering how you were doing. It sounds like they are gathering plenty of data and I sure pray they are able to get you 100% stabilized. On a lighter note, I made it home last week, and only today went out to my little MC garage to take my scooter out for it's exercise. Lo and behold, I have a brand new 709 sitting on the floor, so I must have bought two of them when Rocky Mountain ATV had their sale. I must say that it does make me feel good that I'm running on Donnie's tire for some reason. I rode Hwy 125 from 160 to Bradleyville at least 4 times, maybe five. Awesome stretch! Thanks again for all of your help and the very enjoyable visit.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I just came across this thread under "Active Topics." I can bring the sensation of being light headed upon myself by overdosing on anything that contains caffeine, such as coffee, tea, chocolate, and caffeinated soda. Besides the sensation of feeling light headed, the caffeine has also caused me to experience irregular/skipped heart beats and an increase in blood pressure. :NoCoffee::NoCoffee::NoCoffee:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
A short follow up on this! I got bad news and good news from the Cardiologists. They did all these tests (according to my family doctor) very extensive ... and found absolutely nothing wrong with my heart!!! Everything is normal!!?? So what is wrong? My symptoms where the result of my blood pressure dropping out and causing dizzy spells to the point of keeping me from being able to focus on what I was doing.

The Cardiologist first did a bunch of tests making sure by heart was working like it is supposed to. During this time he took me off my blood pressure medication. Which resulted in my symptoms going away. After a week, I had to restart that medication because I was seeing blood pressure readings of 180/103.

The bottom line ... this was caused by one of my medications (Flomax). I think the Cardiologist suspected as much from the beginning, but had to make sure through the testing that everything else was working correctly. He told me he had seen this before.

So best news ... there is nothing wrong with me!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
166 Posts
A short follow up on this! I got bad news and good news from the Cardiologists. They did all these tests (according to my family doctor) very extensive ... and found absolutely nothing wrong with my heart!!! Everything is normal!!?? So what is wrong? My symptoms where the result of my blood pressure dropping out and causing dizzy spells to the point of keeping me from being able to focus on what I was doing.

The Cardiologist first did a bunch of tests making sure by heart was working like it is supposed to. During this time he took me off my blood pressure medication. Which resulted in my symptoms going away. After a week, I had to restart that medication because I was seeing blood pressure readings of 180/103.

The bottom line ... this was caused by one of my medications (Flomax). I think the Cardiologist suspected as much from the beginning, but had to make sure through the testing that everything else was working correctly. He told me he had seen this before.

Uhhhhhh but what about your addiction??? The one affiliated with two wheels & curvy roads??? ............ really who needs a cure...enjoy sat & mon , looks like plenty of sunshine

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

This is awesome news Monk!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: CAWing and Monk

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I just came across this thread under "Active Topics." I can bring the sensation of being light headed upon myself by overdosing on anything that contains caffeine, such as coffee, tea, chocolate, and caffeinated soda. Besides the sensation of feeling light headed, the caffeine has also caused me to experience irregular/skipped heart beats and an increase in blood pressure. :NoCoffee::NoCoffee::NoCoffee:
I drink a Cuisinart Coffee Maker pot of coffee every morning...the 10 cup level is where I fill it to. That's about 4 1/2 mugs of coffee. If I have a Doctors appointment before lunch that same day, my blood pressure reading will be up to 20 points higher on the top number, and up to 10-15 points higher on the bottom number.

I always tell the nurse taking the measurements that I drank a pot of coffee, and she says "that explains it then".

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

Hey Monk,

Go to a good Urologist and get the "Roto-Rooter" job done. You won't need that Flomax anymore, and the BP will go down and no more light headed problems.

That's DR GOV5's recommendation! LOL!!!

After I had mine done, I told the Doc why didn't you get me to do this sooner? He said "you weren't in the right frame of mind." Actually, I was afraid of the minor operation. He was right. But it was a piece of cake. He said all the guys told him "I don't know why I waited so long for this operation". LOL!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts