GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 02 and have have a couple GL1100's for backup but was thinking of a lighter bike for one up travels that would come close to the handling and low center of gravity of the 1800. I've had several BMWs (R75, R100RS, K75RTA) and found them to be great rides but a tad top heavy (being old that is a negative feature for me) . What would you chose for a backup bike to the 1800 if you desired something < 600 lbs but could run 500 mile days on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,789 Posts
Bought one of these as my backup, got to liking it so much that now the wing is my backup.

 

·
Squating Member
Joined
·
7,055 Posts
The Yamma 1300 or the Honda st1300 would make a nice backup....

Me, I'm looking for a 1994 Harley FXLR, say what you want, but I've owned two of them and they're one of the best handleing bikes Harley ever made.....go on, flame away.....I likes what I likes....

It's not a Wing, nor a Ultra, BMW or even a 1300....just a fun bike for around town, but I can ride it all day too.....

Trike stays put.....not for sale....just a "me" bike....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Texas Black Bird said:
Bought one of these as my backup, got to liking it so much that now the wing is my backup/img]
Nice ride but is it not a little top heavy?You look a lot younger than me and > 6' so I guess the weight and,seat height is a no brainer for you. Neil Peart seems to agree with you as he has a 1100, 1150 and a 1200 he rides. Last GS I rode was a 1100 and almost on my tip toes at a stop light. I just was afraid to try that on my trip to Alaska, but once > 5 mph like the Wing the height issue goes away. I was hoping for some lighter choices to check out. The Vstorm 650 looked nice but vibration would make it a hard 500 mile ride. Maybe I'm just looking for too much in a lighter ride. Thanks for the realistic answer to my question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KYBLUE said:
The Yamma 1300 or the Honda st1300 would make a nice backup....

Me, I'm looking for a 1994 Harley FXLR, say what you want, but I've owned two of them and they're one of the best handleing bikes Harley ever made.....go on, flame away.....I likes what I likes....

It's not a Wing, nor a Ultra, BMW or even a 1300....just a fun bike for around town, but I can ride it all day too.....

Trike stays put.....not for sale....just a "me" bike....
What about the weight on the FXLR? No complaint just a question.
 
G

·
Texas Black Bird said:
Bought one of these as my backup, got to liking it so much that now the wing is my backup.

That's a sweet looking bike. I'd love to take one for a ride sometime. They look so darn futuristic in a Mad Max sort of way! :)

PS. Is that a UFO hovering above your brake reservoir?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,623 Posts
wingnutzz

Is it my computer or is the picture of your FJR showing the wheels missing spokes ??? check it out !! Front wheel shows some missing and the rear wheel is showing only one.. :lol:

Could be my computer screen :cry:


JMHO 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,286 Posts
KA7W said:
wingnutzz

Is it my computer or is the picture of your FJR showing the wheels missing spokes ??? check it out !! Front wheel shows some missing and the rear wheel is showing only one.. :lol:

Could be my computer screen :cry:


JMHO 8)
They only have 3 spokes.. :shock:

later..Randy
 
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top