GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a big bike cigarette lighter, sent a show chrome instead. Instruction were clear and after mounting to compartment tried to put back. NO WAY. The lighter body was pressing against harness (under vent). Worse if I plugged the wires to the lighter body.

Anyone have a problem with this??

Thanks

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
BB & Showchrome are the same people.

The simple solution would be move the harness up or down a hair.

If it has the comfort unit it has to be mounted to the right side of the box.

·
Registered
755 Posts
What model bike? Did you put it at the rear of the compartment or on the 45 degree angle at the right rear of the compartment?

'06 with comfort package has the toe warmer cable at the rear, socket has to go on the 45 at the right rear. Even then, it sometimes has to be "manuvered" to get it in and out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lighter

It is an 05 (sorry) and the instructions stated that 01 to 05 drill a 7/8 inch hole in the crosshair on the back of the pocket box. It could not have been clearer. I cannot move the harness. Major connections at this local.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It is an 05 (sorry) and the instructions stated that 01 to 05 drill a 7/8 inch hole in the crosshair on the back of the pocket box. It could not have been clearer. I cannot move the harness. Major connections at this local.
You have to angle the back of the socket in first then drop in the rest. I have same year bike and same power socket install. Didn't have any problem.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
You have to angle the back of the socket in first then drop in the rest. I have same year bike and same power socket install. Didn't have any problem.
This has been my experience as well. I installed the exact same power socket that you did, and at first I was concerned when I was having a bit of difficulty getting the pocket back in place. I did need to push by hand some of the existing wiring out of the way slightly and then it slipped right in. Just be patient and don't force anything.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I did the same thing. It is difficult to get the pocket back in there. I had mine out this weekend and it takes a little maneuvering but I got it in there. Mine is an 05 and I am sure the newer bikes with more options would make it worse.
Good luck.

I just went out to take a look at mine.

I used mine for an XM radio I used to have.

I now use the Garmin 2730 so the plug is no longer in use, I should just take it out and plug the hole. :yes1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts