GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Believe it or not, I did search this topic and "Sorry no matches found".

Anyway, my wife is having her third neck surgery which will plate her third vertebra on Wed. I know must be folks here who have had neck problems and have done the research on the lightest helmets available and have some good and bad details to share.

We are thinking modular but it can be full face if there is a significant weight gain to be had.

We are both currently wearing HJC CL-SP and when she last rode a week ago it was way heavy and caused tremendous pain in her neck. Of course she is pre-surgery so it hurts anyway.

So, what say you all, what's the best and lightest, pros and cons. Open face is not an option, she is a nurse and sees the accidents so we both want full face or modular.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,670 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Riff Raff,

I've thought about the carbon 3/4 as being the lightest but she is a nurse and sees a patient twice a year on the floor who is coming back for continuing re-constructive surgery after three years. He was wearing a good helmet and survived the accident but ground off his lower jaw in the accident.

I am not criticizing those who don't wear full face, (we both have two different 3/4 on the shelf we wear from time to time) but we have together made the choice to wear the full face or modular.

·
Registered
747 Posts
IMO the difference in weight between a light helmet and a realatively heavy helmet is not that great. I have suffered neck damage in the cervical area and in addition to the traction and the Chiropractic work, I underwent an extensive neck exercise program. Using Thera-bands has strengthened my neck to where which helmet I use is now a non issue. I suspect the effect the wind has blowing against any helmet is more of a factor than the weight of the helment. I believe exercising the neck will help solve the problem. Good luck getting her healthy.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I have an HJC Carbon FF and it's about half the weight of my old flip-front.
Get out of the wind blast too and make sure your suspension is good. Although my orthopedic issues have me sidelined from riding right now, a full Traxxion suspension kept me riding quite a bit longer than I would've ridden without it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish therapy and exercise was an option for her. 5 years ago she flipped her 4 wheeler, broke 6 ribs, ruptured two discs and herniated a third. She had a double fusion across the two ruptured discs. 7 months after the first surgery she in affect broke her neck while tubing behind our boat. Pulled the 6 screw plate loose and broke one of the fusions. A second surgery about 3 months after the tubing wreck to remove the loose plate which was causing a lot of pain.

Here we are a few years later and the disc that was damaged but not ruptured is not holding up and letting the vertebra rub causing bone spurs and lots of pain again. Wed the surgeon will plate across the damaged disc and smooth off the spurs.

When I told her she might not be able to ride again; her response I can't post on a family forum. I sure love this gal!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Riff Raff,

I've thought about the carbon 3/4 as being the lightest but she is a nurse and sees a patient twice a year on the floor who is coming back for continuing re-constructive surgery after three years. He was wearing a good helmet and survived the accident but ground off his lower jaw in the accident.

I am not criticizing those who don't wear full face, (we both have two different 3/4 on the shelf we wear from time to time) but we have together made the choice to wear the full face or modular.
The link I sent is for the HJC full face Carbon Fiber. Mine was the 3/4. http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/closed_face/hjc/fs_15_carbon_motorcycle_helmet.html Check it out. :eek:)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Although my orthopedic issues have me sidelined from riding right now, a full Traxxion suspension kept me riding quite a bit longer than I would've ridden without it.
I've read Traxxion could do a lot of things but, this one tops the list!

Yes, I do have Traxxion F&R

·
Registered
642 Posts
Interesting timing. I'm going to the IMS in Chicago tomorrow mainly to look at the HJC FS-15 carbon FF helmets. It seems ridiculous to me that helmets are getting heavier and heavier when other crash protection gear is getting lighter and more effective.

The modular (flip) helmets are over 4 pounds now. The Nolan N103 is 4lbs, 3 oz; the HJC carbon is 3lbs, 5oz. That's a significant amount, and bobbling around on your head for a long day's ride will take it's toll.

I'm thinking no more flips, and FF definitely offers better protection than 3/4. We'll see what the HJC looks like and how it fits tomorrow.

Helmets are a very personal decision, and the best helmet in the world is useless if it's at home because it's uncomfortable. I'm thinking that reduced sound levels and increased protection are worth the inconvenience of the FF design, y'all will make your own choices and that's fine.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Helmets are a very personal decision, and the best helmet in the world is useless if it's at home because it's uncomfortable. I'm thinking that reduced sound levels and increased protection are worth the inconvenience of the FF design, y'all will make your own choices and that's fine.
:agree:FF helmets sure makes the tunes sound better and the CB far more understandable. They slip the wind better as well. One can have the lightest helmet on the planet and if drags the wind, it becomes a lot heavier.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I was wearing a HJC Carbon Fiber 3/4 helmet the night I was creamed by a drunk driver. Super light weight and strong enough that I survived the 50+ MPH hit with no brain damage. Here is the full face version ... http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/closed_face/hjc/fs_15_carbon_motorcycle_helmet.html When the day comes that I'm able to ride again - it's another HJC Carbon Fiber for me. Light weight, TOUGH, and very comfortable.
With the way you were before the wreck, how will we know there's no brain damage?:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I'll be watching this thread for sure. I broke C-5 in 97 and cannot take the weight of a ff helmet flip or anything like it. We both wear 3/4 helmets.
I tried the nolan but I've never tried the new composites. I'd like to have more protection if I could get it, please post if you find one. :)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Believe it or not, I did search this topic and "Sorry no matches found".

Anyway, my wife is having her third neck surgery which will plate her third vertebra on Wed. I know must be folks here who have had neck problems and have done the research on the lightest helmets available and have some good and bad details to share.

We are thinking modular but it can be full face if there is a significant weight gain to be had.

We are both currently wearing HJC CL-SP and when she last rode a week ago it was way heavy and caused tremendous pain in her neck. Of course she is pre-surgery so it hurts anyway.

So, what say you all, what's the best and lightest, pros and cons. Open face is not an option, she is a nurse and sees the accidents so we both want full face or modular.
I'm having a discectomy at C3-4, C4-5, and C5-6 on 3 March. They are going to screw on titanium plate(s) to hold it all together. I plan on riding again, and lots of other things too! 30 years of being a paratrooper, etc has taken its toll. Hope your wife's condition allows her to continue to enjoy riding. I have a Harley FXRG carbon fiber full face that is pretty lightweight. It may be the same as the HJC. Try one at a local Harley dealer and see what you think.
Regards, A06

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I have two helmets I wear, both are Shoei helmets.
The lightest and most areodynamic helmet I have ever used is the Shoei X-11 fullface weighing in at 3lbs 2ozs and very quiet...
The one I wear the most is a modular Shoei Multitec,I really like this hellmet although it's heavier than the X-11

·
Registered
871 Posts
A full face helmet will be lighter than a flip face because of the flip mechanism. Shoei makes a Kevlar off road helmet but I don't know about their street helmets. I saw a device at my local Honda dealer that looks like it raps around your neck under your helmet to support your head. I beleive the sport bike riders use them, it is cloth with some padding in it and may help with whaterver helmet you get

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
go to www.webbikeworld.com
then click on helmet weight and it will tell you which are the lightest. my wife has a similar problem. here is the lightest in order
1. BMW Sportintergral carbon large weighs 1000 grms 2lbs 2 oz
2. hjc cl5 open face large 1301 gms 2 lbs 13 7/8 oz
3. shark rsx medium 1350gms or 2lbs 9 oz
etc

1 - 20 of 24 Posts