GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been asked to rewire a bike (not a Honda) and I like the idea but wonder what the federal laws are and how to do some of it.
First, is it legal to have just the headlight on with out the tail light? I have seen many with what appears to be no more than a clearance light for the tail.
Second, 10 years ago, on my truck, I added a unit that had the headlights come on when the engine was running. It also reduced the intensity so I used it on the high beams as the factory installed units do.
Is there a place to get one of these as well as third brakelight modules?
Third, will a headlight modulator work with lower intensity lights?
Thanks for any help. If this works as planed I may use it on my bicycle. :doorag:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Check with your local police dept but I would guess that tail lights aren't required to be on during the day so you could have the headlight on and not the tail light, but why? The tail light draws very little power,

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Check with your local police dept but I would guess that tail lights aren't required to be on during the day so you could have the headlight on and not the tail light, but why? The tail light draws very little power,
I agree with wanting the tail light. Why in the world would you want to potentially reduce your visibility?:shrug:

Checking with your local PD is likely a good place to start. I'm not aware of any laws about requiring a running light on the rear, but at least in CA, a headlight is required ON at all times on newer bikes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
First, is it legal to have just the headlight on with out the tail light? I have seen many with what appears to be no more than a clearance light for the tail. :doorag:
I would think the answer is no. Any motor vehicle, as equipped by the factory, that has a headlight switch also uses this same switch to activate the taillamps. Therefore turning on the headlight turns on the tail lights. So if the requirement is to operate the headlights, it is expected that the tail lights should also be on based on how the vehicle was built. Is that nuance specifically stated in the laws, usually not.

While you might be able to get away with no tail lights because the law doesn't specifically require this, a LEO could still give you a ticket for faulty equipment, because if the headlight is on and the tail light is not, something is probably broken.

I know for a fact this set up would fail our state inspections here in Virginia.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
I've been asked to rewire a bike (not a Honda) and I like the idea but wonder what the federal laws are and how to do some of it.
First, is it legal to have just the headlight on with out the tail light?
YES, during daylight 1/2hr after sunrise to 1/2hr before sun set.
I have seen many with what appears to be no more than a clearance light for the tail.
Is there a question here?
Second, 10 years ago, on my truck, I added a unit that had the headlights come on when the engine was running. It also reduced the intensity so I used it on the high beams as the factory installed units do.
That is called DRL "Daylight Running Light. Car and trucks that use a headlamp bulb to perform the DRL function do this @ a reduced voltage. You might find a DRL unit in a salvage yard. Also, could you advise what factory units use the high beams as DRL-I know of none?
Is there a place to get one of these as well as third brake light modules?
Are you asking about a HLSL(High Level Stop Lamp?
Third, will a headlight modulator work with lower intensity lights?
Not sure what you want here either. Modulators are designed to switch from normal voltage to a lower voltage and back, repeatedly, using a 12volt system for power.
Thanks for any help. If this works as planed I may use it on my bicycle. :doorag:
Just one opinion on you questions. Hope some one with more knowledge responds.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As stated this isn't for my motorcycle. The module I inquired about for the DRLs uses the high beams at reduced voltage as do most factory installed devices. The high beam on 7 to 9 volts draws less amps than the low beam. And on an old British bike even the tail light is a lot of draw.

As far as a third brake light module they attach to the turn/brake wires to work the after market third brake light. This is for my own use and like the DRL I would prefer manufactured units over my home built. I'm not up on the new components available.

Not everyone rides the most tricked out GoldWing. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
First, is it legal to have just the headlight on with out the tail light? I have seen many with what appears to be no more than a clearance light for the tail.
:doorag:[/QUOTE]

Gonna be Haulin Moonshine are ya ??

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:doorag:
Gonna be Haulin Moonshine are ya ??[/QUOTE]

Used to. Had switches for tail & brake lights. :cool:

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

Lights are your friends. I'd run every light the law allows at all times.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have "03 and "04 Impalas. They use the high beams as DRL, at reduced voltage.

I have read that some lamps, specifically Sylvania Silver Stars, will have reduced life if used in a reduced voltage application.

HTH

Ronnie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts