GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
Very sad .

Prayers sent .

I live in the lighting capital of world ( brevard county )

You must be very careful with that .

·
Registered
902 Posts
Wondering if atgatt would have help the dude..NAW when it your time your ticket gets punched.They just had to say that he wasn't wearing a helmet but we know that they weren't pushing a agenda.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If he had been wearing a helmet Thor couldn't have seen him. Lightning scares the crap out of me. I still ride in it but I'm scared the whole time. That's why I wear a helmet.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
It's sad. I try to avoid riding when there is lighting in the area. This isn't the first I've heard of a biker being hit by lighting!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Lightning going across doesn't concern me........It's the stuff that's heading toward the ground.

·
IronMan
17,852 Posts
Niece was engauged to a guy- was out riding with freinds n storm came up waited under bridge till it passed sky was clear n he walked out to look around n bam rite in the head dead on the spot - freinds said lightning came from miles away sometimes its yourtime niece wont even ride in rain now remarried

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'll bet that was a shocking experience.

So sad!

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
I am pragmatic when it comes to riding while it is lightning. Your odds are far greater that you will hit a deer or get T-boned by a car at the next intersection than getting hit by lightning. If that won't get you off the road, why would lightning?

I have respect for the potential hazards of lighting, and I don't go play out in it if I don't have to. But I don't live in fear of it either. Reading about something like this is no doubt sad. The random nature of lightning is more than a bit eerie.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
It is very possible that the lightning only injured him to a certain degree (no pun intended), and the lack of a helmet was the factor that killed him. But still sad that someone is dead.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I saw a Youtube video of a guy that got hit by lightning and after getting up, he took 7 steps and got hit by lightning again! Twice within about a minute. He got up both times! What are the odds?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Sorry to hear of the fellow loosing his life, prayers to the family at home!

We live on a mountain top and when it's Thunderstorming in the area (within 10 miles) we don't even walk out to the barn. Better safe than instant cremation before it's time!!

While riding (anywhere), Froggs on for rain, ride stops for lightning!!!!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Last time I was in SD during Sturgis, every report of a motorcycle accident included if the riders were or were not wearing a helmet
IT seems that is how things are reported out there.

Unfortunate for this guy to have been killed either by the lightening or by a crash.

On the given day of the crash, I wonder how many people died from:
motorcycle crashes
car crashes
airplane crashes
prolonged use of tobacco products
choking
firearms related

The possibility exists to be struck and killed by lightening but the probability is quite low....yet people are very concerned about this....seeminlgy over concerned.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. I haven't really considered lightning that much. I will have to be more attentive. Thanks

·
Registered
686 Posts
I saw a Youtube video of a guy that got hit by lightning and after getting up, he took 7 steps and got hit by lightning again! Twice within about a minute. He got up both times! What are the odds?
That video has convincing evidence (lighting patterns on the vehicles and objects nearby the victim) of having been staged -- including post video'ing/filming creation of the lightning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts