GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! Was wondering if anyone out there knows how hard it is to repair the lights in the handlebar switches. Several of mine are out. Thanks in advance. Rich V.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Are yours factory, or aftermarket?

I had a pinched wire that was shorting mine out. I did it when running some GPS wiring under the handlebar cover.

I thought I had "toasted" them, but a year later I finally got into the fix-it mode. When I corrected the short they came back on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are factory and not all of them are out. just some of them. i don't think it is the wiring but not sure.:shrug:

·
Registered
741 Posts
You don't say if yours is still in warranty or not. If it is, take it in.
Mine did that when it was in warranty. They fixed them, though it took about 3 trips because all the little bulbs in there are different and they didn't have all them. When ordered the ones they didn't have, I went back but by that time another one had gone out. Since then they have stayed on for about 3 years. Now I'm out of warranty.
They all have little wires on them and I don't know if they plug in or what.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is still under warranty. I didn't think that bulbs would be covered. I will check into it. Thanks Rich V.;)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Them little buggers are expensive too... to replace all the bulbs on both handlebars is about $80 bucks just in bulbs! Not too hard to fix but they are small, and the work area is tight. Would suggest working under a lit magnafying glass if available.

Cheers!

http://www.jimnlyn.com

·
Registered
161 Posts
I went to Radio Shack to buy replacements last year after I found out how much Mother Honda wants for her bulbs. I can't find the package that the Shack bulbs come in but after looking at their website I believe they are the 272-1092 which come two to a package for $1.79. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103780
There is some soldering that you will need to do, and the darned bulbs are small and kind of tedious to work with, but with a little patience and basic soldering skills you can get the job done and save some bucks.

Hope this helps,
Dennis

·
Registered
120 Posts
It should be under warranty.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I wonder how hard it would be to change them to LED's. It would seem like LED's would be better suited for this application, given the amount of work to replace them.
Dang, more Toe Videos! :lol: I would be interested in knowing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Fred,

I tried the smallest LED I could get my hands on at the time, a T-1 (3 mm), and it was too large to fit into the small channels that the bulbs go into. The little buggers that Honda uses are tiny. I agree that the LED would be the way to go, but I just couldn't get that fix to work.

Dennis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts