GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. Just got back from a trip to New Mexico. The day before I was to leave one of my buddies noticed my head light were not working. All other lights were working. Only headlights, high and low beam...Totoally kaputt! After fiddling for hours checking fuses wiring connections etc. nothing was obvious. Then I sarted the bike again and presto....Lights. I thought it was the key (ignition) I giggled it around nothing. Then they went out again after the bike was shut down. As long as the motor was running, if they worked when it was started then they would work, if they did not work when it was started, then nothing I could do anything that would make them work.
Finally I giggled the starter button, and they flashed. I restarted it, they did not come on, I giggled the starter button, and they came on.
I do not understand what is going on.
Something in the starter button is shorting out the light when the engine is started up.
Help! Any suggestions. I really need head lights.
Thanks for your suggestions. I have a 2003 GL 1800.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I believe there is a circuit that cuts off the headlights when the starter
is engaged. The purpose is to direct more current to the starter. Then
when the engine starts the headlights come back on. I don't know the
details of how that circuit works. Probably a relay. It sounds like it may
be malfunctioning. I'm sure others on this site will have more details and
perhaps a fix. Blessings.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
starter

Get some contact cleaner from radio shack don't use wd 40 use the little straw on the can and spray it in the starter button keep a rag wrapped around the switch so it will not drip on paint. work the button as you spray.This cured mine has worked fine for the last year.

·
Registered
309 Posts
CMABob said:
I believe there is a circuit that cuts off the headlights when the starter
is engaged. The purpose is to direct more current to the starter. Then
when the engine starts the headlights come back on. I don't know the
details of how that circuit works. Probably a relay. It sounds like it may
be malfunctioning. I'm sure others on this site will have more details and
perhaps a fix. Blessings.
You are correct... if the Wing is like my other Hondas. The main power for the left hi/lo beam switch runs through the starter switch. I had to replace one on a VTX... never had issues on the Valk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,
This was very helpful and makes a lots of sense. I will try cleaning the switch.
By the way I failed to mention that it left me at an Exxon station in Lubbock Texas at 5:00 am in the dark, stuck until sun up ( 7:15).
You guys are great. A true source of knowledge and experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.