GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations for a lightweight 2 man tent that packs up small and is very waterproof? I do a lot of bike/camping trips and am looking for something of good quality.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Any good sporting/camping store with have what you need. I have a 2 man North Face tent and it works well but I wish it was a bit larger. I would recommend a good air matress also. I have one with a built in battery operated inflation/deflation device and it is the best thing since sliced bread. A motorcycle camping friend has a tent that will just take a queen sized air matress and that's what I would get. Everything is off the ground. I use a small mummy bag that is both warm and packs small.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I found what I needed at REI. If there isn't a store near you, here is a link to their web site: http://www.rei.com/
In their store they have a large number of tents set up so you can crawl around in them and see just what your needs are. I would recommend getting one sized for at least one more person than you will need. Example, if just for yourself, get at least a two-man tent. That gives you room for all your gear. Also if in the market for sleeping bags, REI lets you crawl into them to see how the fit is. A self inflatable mattress is a good ideal too.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a North Face tent with mesh top and rain fly. It has lasted several years now with no problems. Can't remember the model name. You might check Campmor, I like REI but Campmor generally beats their price for the same merchandise.
http://www.campmor.com/downindex.html

·
Registered
561 Posts
As a general rule, if you want some comfort - add one to the "tent capacity" rating. If you want a two man tent, get a three man tent.

I had a Eureka Timberline, which was a fine tent, but I wanted more head room and eventually bought a REI Taj 3, which I like quite a bit. It has two doors, so you don't step over each other, and a huge mesh loft for drying and storing gear. Two, rather somewhat small vestibules are included with the rain fly.

·
Registered
884 Posts
As Stormbringer said"As a general rule, if you want some comfort - add one to the "tent capacity" rating. If you want a two man tent, get a three man tent."
I agree. I have a larger dome style Eureka that I use when my wife is along. I think it actually is considered a 5 person tent. I use a Eureka Timberline 3 person when I go it alone. Gotta have room for the "suitcase" also. Used air matteresses in the past but 2 years ago went to the thermarest pad. Self inflating and a couple puffs makes for great sleeping. I got the thicker (2"+/-) and full length.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Whatever you get for a tent, ABSOLUTLEY get a "Therm-a-Rest " self inflating air mattress. They come in different lengths and thicknesses and will keep you insulated from the ground.

As an example, 3 of us camped in the snow once upon a time. In the morning, there was still compact snow under my "Therm-a-Rest ", but there was only bare earth under the two that had conventional air mattresses. Their body heat was expended heating and melting the snow. My body heat was used to keep me warm.

Of course, if you camp in ideal weather, then it really doesn’t make any difference what air mattress you use. If you camp in wet and/or cold weather, you’ll never be sorry with a “Therm-a-Rest”.

·
Registered
249 Posts
we use a eureka mountain pass and love it.
-has 2 doors.
-door openings are round which means only one zipper to get in and out.
-2 full size therma-rests fit perfectly.

geek

1 - 8 of 8 Posts