GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am planning a tour on my 2012, with 93,000 miles on the odometer. Okay ... I took the bike to Honda of Cool Springs today, to get an oil change and a new front tire. I bought my bike there back in 2012. They are a very good dealership, always straight up and fair!

"Feel free to wait in the showroom..."

DANG THEM! There it was, calling my name. So after a brief negotiation with the salesman and the sales manager, this beauty followed me home tonight.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
so now I have a thousand questions.

I bought the SENA headsets and two helmets. I have to figure out how to connect them to the bike's audio, connect the iPhone, and etc.

I could not figure out the NAV system, although I was able to drag the cross hairs to the exit near my home, and the GPS took me there, eventually. I left the dealership forgetting about the fact that the tank was nearly empty. Not knowing the area, and not having an iPhone charger with me for the new bike, I just followed a string of traffic into what seemed like outer Mongolia. Fortunately I ran across a cop who was monitoring traffic. He directed me to a gas station with apparently 3 miles of fuel to spare, according o the dashboard.

Then I rode the bike home, but I couldn't figure out how to set up the cruise, or get the radio station I wanted, or anything. At night, with bad eyes, it is difficult to figure out a lot of new buttons.

It is in my garage now. Maybe I can meet with someone who has one of these bikes, and they can walk me through the various functions??

I am returning tomorrow to bring the dealer the side panel for my 2012. I removed it to replace the battery, and did not pop it in, because it would make me late for the appointment to get the oil changed, and I had no idea I was coming home with a new bike instead.

I also will bring him a rear wheel without a "car tire" on it. I have two additional sets of these wheels, so I guess I will put them up for sale on eBay or something. The one off of the bike now has a really good Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP tire on it with about ... 18,000 miles left on it, based on the mileage of my last two identical "car tires."

Well, the adventure starts!

Joe

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sweet!
Congrats on the new ride.

Yes, lots to learn on the new bike.
Having a friend help guide you would be great, and sometimes the salesman or service man will help connect your phone and headset.
I just sat down with the manual and hunted down the most important stuff first.
Jefro.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Congrats. Ask the dealer to go over some of it with you today. It's all in the manual.
Crouse control hit the little speedometer button on the right handle bar, push the paddle down to set it, up to indeed speed, down to decrease.

·
Registered
605 Posts
When you sinc to the bike, sinc the phone to the bike, and sinc the headsets to the bike. You do not sinc the phone to the headsets, too. You got the best color, just like mine!

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
If that is a Shoei Neotech2 I would try and return your Sena and upgrade to the Sena SRL. It is built in for the Shoei NeoTech 2. Much easier to use. No tapping or rolling of controls needed

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
So I am planning a tour on my 2012, with 93,000 miles on the odometer. Okay ... I took the bike to Honda of Cool Springs today, to get an oil change and a new front tire. I bought my bike there back in 2012. They are a very good dealership, always straight up and fair!

DANG THEM! There it was, calling my name. So after a brief negotiation with the salesman and the sales manager, this beauty followed me home tonight.

Dang! Don't ya just hate that? You go in for a simple oil and tire change, and look what it costs nowadays. Prices are just totally out of line. When is this madness gonna end?>:)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If that is a Shoei Neotech2 I would try and return your Sena and upgrade to the Sena SRL. It is built in for the Shoei NeoTech 2. Much easier to use. No tapping or rolling of controls needed
Yeah, that is what I bought.

Joe

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dang! Don't ya just hate that? You go in for a simple oil and tire change, and look what it costs nowadays. Prices are just totally out of line. When is this madness gonna end?>:)
The problem is, my Escapade trailer is ... white. :surprise: Gonna get the tow hitch installed today, and then tow the trailer to a body shop to see about getting it match painted.

Joe

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Love it. Congrats. Did they give you a credit for your first oil change?
They did not, but I was happy with the trade-in they gave me on my last bike. I am not religious about keeping it polished, so although I did all of the maintenance, the bike itself sort of looked unloved.

You know ... those shiny aluminum wheels were BLACK. Scratches, nicks fro using my bike as a small truck, etc. The cruise control was acting up, it was time for brake pads. The Traction Dynamics 'Full Monty' suspension was due for a rebuild ... when I looked at all of the costs of keeping the bike, it only made sense to trade it in.

I probably could have received more money by selling it private party, but you know ... ads, answering calls, waiting for people who never show up ... a guy drops your bike on a test ride or worse, doesn't even return with the bike :surprise: Then he wants to haggle over the price, AND he knows where you live, so if he is a psycho, he shows up at your door every time something goes wrong, as if you were the manufacturer of his USED bike.

I needed this to be DONE, so I can get moving on tour plans, so a trade-in made the most sense.

Joe

·
Registered
376 Posts

congratulations on the new bike! You bought the best color in case you were wondering.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Congrats on your new ride :biker:

·
Registered
808 Posts
You mentioned you have an iPhone, so if I were you I wouldn't worry too much about the built-in nav. Once you've figured out syncing your bluetooth headset to the bike (as others have said, do NOT sync your phone directly to the headset), you'll be able to use Apple CarPlay for all your navigation needs.

1) Either use the Apple Maps app that came with your phone (it's not as bad as people make it out to be), or download one of the other options to your phone...

Google Maps - probably still slightly better than Apple Maps, and allows you to create routes with waypoints.
Waze - good for A-to-B riding in urban areas where you want to bypass traffic as much as possible. Also alerts you to cops!
Sygic - the grand daddy of iPhone GPS apps. Has offline maps, allows you to create custom routes with lots of waypoints. This will be my go to for big trips, but it does cost money for all the features.

2) Start the bike, wait for your bluetooth headset to fully connect.

3) Plug your iPhone into the USB port in the glove box.

4) Apple CarPlay should fire up on the screen, and you can use the handlebar buttons or scroll wheel when stopped to navigate around, select your GPS app, or music, or whatever else you want to do with it.

If when you plug in the phone the bike says, I can't remember the exact phrase but something like, "CarPlay did not start due to disconnected headset" then it didn't work. For me, when it does this it is usually because my Sena SRL didn't connect properly. Sometimes the headset will show as connected on the bike screen, but it isn't really. When this happens, I just turn the headset off and on again and it always works the second time.

One tip... it's easier to set your destination and/or route waypoints (depending on what app you're using) on the phone first, THEN plug it into the bike. Rather than using the CarPlay interface itself to set the route.

Enjoy my friend, you just bought a great motorcycle!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts