GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

Today I was purging old brake fluid and bleeding my brakes. And becoming very frustrated with the OEM bleeder valves. They have to be opened fairly wide in order to work, the nipple seems like the wrong size for the tubing I have, and the 10mm black ones had too much sealant on them and had to be cleaned out.

Pulling new fluid through with a Mity-Vac went O.K., but then trying to do that final air bleed by myself was just impossible. Bubbles everywhere!

I had purchased a set of speed bleeders about a year ago (with the best of intentions) but had never installed them. So I ripped out the OEM valves and installed the speed bleeders.

Man! What a difference! I had the entire bike bled and bubble free in fifteen minutes - without any help. True one person operation.

I cannot believe I have been doing brakes the old-fashioned way all this time. I'm now a big fan of speed bleeders.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Man! What a difference! I had the entire bike bled and bubble free in fifteen minutes - without any help. True one person operation.

I cannot believe I have been doing brakes the old-fashioned way all this time. I'm now a big fan of speed bleeders.

I ordered mine right after watching Fred do the bleeding sequence in the video. I am not as flexible as him & as easy as it makes it to do the better chance it will get done each year

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I installed them last year before my brake and clutch fluid change. Wow, did they ever work great! I got the bleeder bag as well! A great combo! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I installed them last year before my brake and clutch fluid change. Wow, did they ever work great! I got the bleeder bag as well! A great combo! :thumbup:
Where did you buy this package....

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've seen speed bleeders at my local auto parts store but don't know the correct dimensions for the gold wing. Does anyone have the screw dimensions? Thanks.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Thanks T A R!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I went to Direct Line Parts and searched, but could not find speed bleeders.

I wonder what the price on full kit (to include all bleeders on the front and rear brakes and clutch slave cylinders) would be if they carried them?

I hope less than other sources..... I probably would be if they bought them in bulk and put a set in a small zip lock bag instead of carding them individually...

Just planting a seed.

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
HDL usta have them, if they do not now. There are some of the OE bleeders that are easy to reach and I see no reason to install speed bleeders on those if the money is of concern.

prs

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Greetings!

If you go to the link I provided, you can buy the SB8125L for $7.00 each. You need seven for the brakes, one more if you want to do the clutch.

At these prices there is no reason not to do them all, as you will never again need an assistant to bleed your brakes.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Greetings!

If you go to the link I provided, you can buy the SB8125L for $7.00 each. You need seven for the brakes, one more if you want to do the clutch.

At these prices there is no reason not to do them all, as you will never again need an assistant to bleed your brakes.
:thumbup:

I also installed Speed Bleeders & bleeder bag last summer and... WOW!
I makes the process so easy.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Be CAREFUL screwing them in.
Unlike the OEM the nut will not be flush against the caliper. You will see a couple of threads above the caliper when you should stop!
As soon as you feel the resistance - it means that it bottomed out (seated).
It is NOT the thread lock giving you resistance (like I thought) and they snap REAL EASY!

Don't ask me how I know .......;)

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
THANKS for sharing the speed bleeder info ! am i the only one wondering why this thread got moved from the tech board to the general board ? :thumbup:

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
Be CAREFUL screwing them in.
Unlike the OEM the nut will not be flush against the caliper. You will see a couple of threads above the caliper when you should stop!
As soon as you feel the resistance - it means that it bottomed out (seated).
It is NOT the thread lock giving you resistance (like I thought) and they snap REAL EASY!

Don't ask me how I know .......;)
just curious did u buy the regular steel speed bleeders or the more expensive stainless steel version ?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Greetings!

Why so many to do the brakes?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Has anyone tried the check valve in-line with the tubing so you only have to buy one check valve? Seems even easier than installing a bunch of valves.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP5101-One-Brake-Bleeder/dp/B00158OCR8[/ame]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts