GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from Indianapolis(MAC TOOLS US NATIONALS) and during our trip(in our Accord) we came across a couple(seperately) of bikers who were wearing lime green jackets. The color really caught my attention even at quite a distance away. I'm curious if y'all know of any company(besides Aerostich)that make a high quality jacket in lime green? I currently wear a Tourmaster Ballistic Mesh in silver and am quite pleased with it, but that lime green really does get your attention!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Olympia motosports sells their All Season Touring (AST) in Hi-Viz yellow. It was just favorable reviewed in Motorcycle escapes.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep I know, but Aerostich is soooo blooming expensive and I've yet to see a sale in their catalogs that I receive!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
In the new MC Escape mag there is a review of the Olympia Moto Sports AST Touring Jacket that comes in that bright neon green. The Olympia add in the back has pictures of it as well. They have a list of $290 according to the mag, but I bet you could find one cheaper than that online.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
My wife is very happy with her brilliant lime green Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket. We bought it on a close out sale. I don't know if they are still available.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Have you considered going to an industrial safety supply store and getting the Lime Green vests with 2 inch wide reflective striping to wear over your Motorcycle jacket. There is also some really good goretex raingear available in Lime green with the reflective striping. I wore mine this June in Montana when I got caught in the rain. Rode for about 100 miles and stayed perfectly dry.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
papa benny said:
Yep I know, but Aerostich is soooo blooming expensive and I've yet to see a sale in their catalogs that I receive!!
It works well and lasts a long time; made in the USA too. Won't need another one for 10 years and all that.
The owner of the company is a real rider that you might meet on the BRP some day; he'll answer your emails and knows what he's talking about.
It's like Hal, a real rider. Eric Howell; I've seen his bike too. Lewis Preston has bike and mingles with us.
Some vendors and companies just have class.
Of the People, by the People, for the People. You know what I'm saying.

G

·
Last year I spotted a lime green jacket on a motorcycle website. It was touted as a motorcycle jacket. I bought it. When I got it all they had done was purchased a construction style wind breaker and doubled the price. It filled up with air when I used it and made me look like the Michelin man.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Some times Aerostitch does have sales. I get notification by e-mail. the problem is choice of size,and selection. I have a hiviz Roadcrafter siut,that I bought used in excellent condition for $500, and I really like it. With a white helmet,the stitch,and a yellow Goldwing, I have had very few incidences where I have not been seen. If you go to craigslist,you can find them on rare occasions. Also a study done I believe in Austrailia, showed a 24% lower accident rate with white helmets. Mark

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Help me out here...It seems like I read something a year or so ago somewhere that a brightly colored helmet is very advantageous because it is the highest part of the rider/bike combination. Anyone else heard or read this? Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
I agree, they will say they didn't see you,but I am convinced that high visibility gear will load the odds more in your favor of being seen.

·
Registered
399 Posts
One problem I have is that I don't sit high enough to see much of me except my helmet....I wear a white helmet with reflectors around the bottom, sides and back.....A yellow and black jacket with piping...and riding pants also with reflection......You can see me from the side.......but only my helmet (and maybe the top of my shoulders) shows from behind......joy

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think a good reason to wear some hi vis or reflective gear is the very real possibility that a deer might take you off the bike and if you are lying in the road with nothing but black leather on.. well you fill in the rest.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I purchased a yellow Shoei RF-1000 helmet, when I saw how very noticeable the color was on a two-up bike - especially in traffic, among cages. The yellow is much more apparent than white. It's similar to the GL 1800 pearl yellow color. A lime-yellow color helmet would be even more noticeable - just not very color co-ordinated with your bike color, but would, at least, match a similar lime-yellow colored jacket. Remember, that the helmet OEM's do NOT recommend painting helmets, since, the paint solvents can reduce the impact resistance of the formed shell.

I have a Cycleport/Motoport Ultra II Kevlar (Kevlar/Cordura/Lycra blend thread) lime-yellow jacket and black pants. The quality is absoloutely first rate. The abrasion resistance tensile strength of the Ultra II "MESH" (lighter weight & cooler in high temps.) is extremely high.

As I have previously posted, my suit literally saved my a$$ during a 65 MPH dismount from a deer strike, when I slid, then violently tumbled along the highway.

One important suggestion is to frequently spray the yellow color (red & blue also) with 303 fabric protectant (or similar quality) to reduce significant fading from the sun. Mine is faded and has lost the brightness of the 'flourescent' appearance of the lime-yellow color.

I know the nay-sayers will argue that regardless of our attempts for better visiblity, we are still very vulnerable. I do agree, but why not give yourself a possible edge at being seen. Sometimes, we aren't hit because something attracted the cage's attention, but we'll never know how close we came to becoming a statistic?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
The group we ride with has matching shirts that are Hi-Vis yellow. We really stand out when we go any where. Most of us also bought Hi-Vis yellow sweat shirts. We bought ours in a large enough size that we wear them over our jackets and coats. They are so bright!!! When it is dark you can see the tail lights and that bright Hi-Vis yellow from a long ways off. What Holly and I did was scotch guard ours to help repel light rain, wind and dirt. They were cheap $11 with a hood or $9 without the hood.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts