GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me out here? Is a line isolator adapter the same as a GLI, or not?

I was told I need one of those, rather than a GLI, but when I Google "line isolator adapter" the results that come up are GLIs.

The problem I'm having is engine whine through the Sirius radio I have run through J&M's MP3/ipod/bluetooth unit I've mentioned in a couple of other threads. It does NOT run through the bike's aux line.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Can someone help me out here? Is a line isolator adapter the same as a GLI, or not?

I was told I need one of those, rather than a GLI, but when I Google "line isolator adapter" the results that come up are GLIs.

The problem I'm having is engine whine through the Sirius radio I have run through J&M's MP3/ipod/bluetooth unit I've mentioned in a couple of other threads. It does NOT run through the bike's aux line.

You need an isolator that goes on the audio line

A GLI goes on the power

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any suggestions?

I have myself so confused on this deal, I don't know which way is up any more.

And thanks for all your help and suggestions.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Yes that will work but if it does turn out you have noise on the power line then you will need the GLI also

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that makes sense to me.

Thank you for your help. I'll stop and get one today, and report back on the results.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have both the Electrical Connections Power Noise Filter and the Ground Loop Isolator and they have made no difference in noise when the intercom is on. Local dealer is good with the mechanics of the Gold Wing but knows nothing about the sound system and will tell you that up front. They have checked the grounds and all the other suspects that I can come up with and no success at solving the problem. My opinion, the intercom system on the wing is junk. Everything works and sounds quite well unless the intercom is on. Two and a half year battle but only seems to get worse.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You need an isolator that goes on the audio line

A GLI goes on the power
Actually that statement is not correct. A GLI (or Ground Loop Isolator) is an audio transformer that goes in the audio signal line. It works by providing DC (that's direct current) isolation between the audio output of a device and the audio input of the following device. That is, it lets the audio signals get thorough but blocks any currents caused by ground potential differences (the dreaded "ground loop" noise) betweeen the signal source and sink.

Typically a GLI is all that is required to eliminate the whine that varies with engine speed in signals from 12V powered (even if they use a 12V powered supply to derive a voltage other than 12 volts) devices like a satellite radio.

And yes, a GLI is sometimes called a line isolator adapter.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Yes your right thats me trying to type too fast and getting my initials mixed up I of course mean a power noise filter PNF for the 12v line to filter out the AC noise caused by the alternator and an GLI audio isolator is for the audio line

Sorry for the confusion

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
RS item is th esame just has RCA not 3.5mm use the Amazon unit

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so the filter from Amazon came yesterday, and is installed. All engine whine is now gone. $20 shipped.

The only noise left is the "white noise" when the intercom is turned on. I suspect everyone has that, but I don't know. It's not a lot, but I know it's there.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hello Viper 467, I'm curious if you lost any volume (ie had to use a higher volume setting) after you plugged in the filter?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello Viper 467, I'm curious if you lost any volume (ie had to use a higher volume setting) after you plugged in the filter?
No, none that I've noticed. I typically had the volume on 20 when on a 2 lane before the filter, and did the same yesterday. Didn't notice a difference. If there was one, it wasn't much.

This is the exact thing I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAQTRI

·
Registered
87 Posts
Too bad I did not see this sooner...
I bought a similar item on ebay for about $6.
I used it with my zune.

No, none that I've noticed. I typically had the volume on 20 when on a 2 lane before the filter, and did the same yesterday. Didn't notice a difference. If there was one, it wasn't much.

This is the exact thing I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAQTRI

1 - 19 of 19 Posts