GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
What happens to the retailers?

It appears that one important group in this story was not included -- the retailers. The union's actions are likely to harm this group of people even though they're not part of the conflict. As I see it, it's a clear case of kicking the cat because you're angry with what the dog did.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just hope this is all settled before riding season.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I would like to know both sides of the story. As everyone knows ,every large company in the USA has jumped on the bandwagon to downsize /restructure, how ever you want to put it. In the process of all of this is the American worker. He/she is getting it broke off. IMO it seems that Corporate America isnt happy just making a profit. They want to make " Huge" profits. And could care less how they achieve it. And they are also trying to take away retirement benifits from workers who have woked for there respective company's all of there lives.
I.E. Delta Airlines, Delphi. I will agree ! To a point that the american wages at some corporations had goten out of hand, but I can see why also. Hey ! Let us share a piece of the pie per say. So I really would like to hear both sides of this debate/disagreement. It sounds like the company is trying to put the hose to the workers. But in reality I'm suspecting they are after a new wage scale like all of Corperate America.
This Country is changing and I do not like where it's going. The workers need this to settle soon, the longer it goes the worse it will get for them. Been There !........... :(

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Mike L said:
I would like to know both sides of the story. As everyone knows ,every large company in the USA has jumped on the bandwagon to downsize /restructure, how ever you want to put it. In the process of all of this is the American worker. He/she is getting it broke off. IMO it seems that Corporate America isnt happy just making a profit. They want to make " Huge" profits. And could care less how they achieve it. And they are also trying to take away retirement benifits from workers who have woked for there respective company's all of there lives.
I.E. Delta Airlines, Delphi. I will agree ! To a point that the american wages at some corporations had goten out of hand, but I can see why also. Hey ! Let us share a piece of the pie per say. So I really would like to hear both sides of this debate/disagreement. It sounds like the company is trying to put the hose to the workers. But in reality I'm suspecting they are after a new wage scale like all of Corperate America.
This Country is changing and I do not like where it's going. The workers need this to settle soon, the longer it goes the worse it will get for them. Been There !........... :(
I have come to the point of view that the American worker needs to take care of himself / herself. I have been self-employed my entire life & I have had success and failure (DL for example). When I fail, I blame myself and move on. When I have success, I try not to spend it all at once :lol:!

Too many Americans are living their lives in the 1950's when assembly jobs were the fashion and America was the world leader in most manufacturing areas.

I do hope the workers / Dupont work out a solution satisfactorily for both sides.

Merry XMAS!

Shane

·
Registered
730 Posts
Goodyear /Dunlop is going to be moving production over seas to keep up with orders...This I read in a Magazine while waiting for my new tires to be installed on my car..
Hey with all the off shore agreements we have all the big companies will move operations over the boarder or over seas when they are not happy with labor or goverment issues...Guess it is better to run than it is to face the problem and work out a honest solution..As far as the union going to the dealer base has its good and bad..The poor dealer is stuck in the middle he can not move his opperation overseas. So as far as the union labor going to picked there stores well it crazy.....

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Mike L said:
To a point that the american wages at some corporations had goten out of hand, but I can see why also.
What really upsets my apple cart is when the workers are asked to take a 10% pay cut then they give the top management 200% increases in salary and stock options.

At Delphi, as they were downsizing and filing for bankruptcy, they offered
upper level managers huge bonuses and stock options to stay. It just don't seem right to me.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Mike.. Although I do understad your point every person does have an option to have some of that pie. And most large companies even give some of that pie from those huge profits. The 401 K that many if not most large companies offer gives 50% on your money with thier matching contributions right off the top before you own the stock a day. Where else can you make that kind of interest on your money. Also if the company is making huge profits most end to have it show in their stock and anyone is welcome to buy that stock and cash in on those rewards. Employee or otherwise.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Hiyo... yes, no question on the bonuses and it goes several levels down the managment chain. Percentages change of course as it goes down the ladder. Every time the stocks hits and holds at a pre determined level for a given period they reap nice rewards. I understand the concept of enticing the leadership, it's the level of compensation that really seems out of whack sometimes.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I personnally think all this greed and big extreme profit making instead of making a decent profit is going to lead to very big changes in this country. Just one example is when Wally World decided to close it's fabric departments. They want to make $400 per sq. ft of floor space instead of the $100 the fabric depts were bringing in. Doesn't matter what there customers want it's the almighty $. It's all give and take on the part of management and employees. Management should treat there employees fairly and in return the employees should give a days work for a days pay.

Don't get me wrong I believe in making a profit but I don't believe in taking people for everything I can get out of them. If I believe that if I took a screwing from some one or company I sure don't go back for seconds, but will remain loyal to those that treat me fairly.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Just try to remember that the large and small companies that are publically owned are responsible to the stock holders. My guess (no I don't have the hard facts) is that most of us here on this board are stock holders in some companies. If you have a 401K or similar retirement plan, you own stocks. And guess what, we all want double digit returns on our money! Therefore, the large companies are expected to make double digit returns on the investment, year after year. In most companies, that means lean and mean. Outsourcing is rampant and will get worse until the Mexico's and China's economy raises the wages of those countries to the point that they are no longer the "low cost producer" in the world market.

The days are over for the American worker being taken care of by the company. We have to get competitive or perish.

·
Registered
694 Posts
©MMVI, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Huhhh Hal?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I definitely have the feelings of HiYo - compensation to the CEO's, CFO's and VPees is really out of hand.

But I don't agree with the concept of companies taking care of their employees. It is the employees that take care of the company not the upper management.

When companies realize that it is a two way street - you take care of the employees and THEY take care of the company! I have no facts but an employee that enjoys their work, feels appreciated, and is recognized will bend over backwards to help the company in bad times and SHOULD be rewarded in the good times.

The retirements are there because of benefits from IRS laws NOT from the good hearts of the company. I can't think of one company that exceeds the IRS benefit percentage in matching employee contributions. Why can't employees have stock options? ? ? ? It seems to be the golden parachute of the upper management. They cash their stocks in on the good times and hold them during the down times.

I agree that the Union steps to picket the dealerships increases the hardship on those dealerships who are blameless in this struggle. They have customers to satisfy. Hal has customers who want only Metzler's and others that want only Bridgestones and still others that go with the Dunlops. We each have an opinion of what we like on your GL's and yes we want a low price - but are intelligent to know that a fair price keeps Hal in business and grants up the opportunity to have that selection.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
There's generally a lot more heat than light in these kinds of discussions. I don't currently have a retirement plan where I'm working. I pay a pay into an IRA, but I'm not able to put away nearly enough.

But the bottom line is that a company doesn't exist in order to provide jobs. It exists to make a profit. It does that by providing a marketable, quality product made at the lowest cost possible, so that it can be sold at a competitive price.

It's the place of the employee to help the company succeed. It's in his self-interest to make himself a valuable asset, so that his managers would be foolish to let him go. As assembly lines become more and more mechanized, less training and skills are required to keep them operating. Heck, I'm facing the same thing as a computer tech. When computers were all multi-million dollar mainframes, it made sense to pay skilled workers high salaries to maintain them. Now they've been replaced by PC's, which are practically disposable.

However, if you've traded a lifetime of blood, sweat, and tears to a company for a salary and promised pension, the company certainly has an obligation to keep its promises. The problem is that keeping those promises makes it hard for older companies with higher overheads (including paying people who are no longer part of the work force) to compete with newer, leaner companies.

Chalk it up to corporate greed if that makes you feel better, but it's a difficult problem, with no easy solution.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Bipeflier said:
Just try to remember that the large and small companies that are publically owned are responsible to the stock holders...
I just wish the the CEOs and upper management would remember this. All they care about is their own bank accounts. Yes, they want to do what it takes to make the stock go up... TOMORROW! However, they have no concern about what the stock does 6 months or a year from now - when they - and the $millions that they've taken from the company - will be down the road to their next exploitation...

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
K7LVO... I disagree and know you couldn’t be more wrong. Give me some personal info to back that up and I will be the first to apologize.

I am a direct report to a CEO of a 35 billion dollar division. I work along side upper company execs almost daily although I am not one. (Not even close to ever being one, nor will it ever happen). I have met many large company CEO's, CFO, COB and never met one that matches your statment. I can say with out hesitation that your statement could not be farther from the truth for all but a minute number of people. There will always be a chance of a few bad apples at any level! I however have not worked for or known one first hand to date.

I have however known more than a few lower level managers that could care less about the employees and cared only for cutting the budget to make them selves look good.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
In no way am I an expert on what is happening at Goodyear - Dunlop.

I spoke with my Tucker Rocky Rep last Friday about this issue. He stated that they do not expect to have Dunlop tires of any quantity till sometime in August of 07. I have no idea what crystal ball he is using!

I believe that one of the main issues for Goodyear is the closing of a plant in TX. It is my understanding, that at that particular plant, they produce "off brand" tires for third party interests. It is also my understanding that this plant is not profitable at all and is costing the Main company large sums of money. On the other hand, the union has an agreement that agrees that no plant closings will take place and that employee jobs are safe. Therin, lies the conflict.

Another point: I feel that the union picketing Goodyear outlets and slandering the "brand" can not have anything good come from that in the future.

At some point, someone will have to compromise heavily. It boils down to commitment and who has the deepest pockets. Factors that will effect the duration of this strike will be economical impact of the strike on it's employees. When will benefits run out? When will the guy with the mortgage, sick family member, truck payment etc. have to cry uncle? It is my understanding that a small percentage of striking members are going back to work and crossing the line each week. They have to survive as well! Principles, do not pay bills!

Profit motive aside, when a major company has to make major economical decisions to insure longevity in this global economy, they can not be hamstrung by Union Egotists. I read in the other threads about major profit motives by the Companies. I have yet to see any Union Leaders driving around in 5 year old S-10 pick-ups and living in 10 year old Double wides! So lets be fair about motive!
I know that I would prefer to be on the Union's payroll as a delegate, as opposed to being a Union laborer in a go nowhere job!

As Goodyear is a big business, So is Union, a big business. Again, let's be fair about Motive. Should Goodyear Close, downsize or move across any border, what is the gross effect of the Union that lost all those jobs? Diminished!

Good Faith Bargaining, is the only means to a settlement that both parties feel they lost, but can live with. Kind of like bad neighbors getting together for a community party. Everyone is uncomfortable and keeps a wary eye on the other. Nobody wins and everyone looses, at least in perception.

If Goodyear folds and goes away, someone is just around the corner to take over. Would we be better off? I have no idea.

When all is said and done, who got hurt? The little guy. The guy who makes the tires and the guy whom buys the tires.

I have no dog in this fight at all. By nature, I tend to side with the working man, if he is reasonable!

Bulldog

1 - 17 of 17 Posts