GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While deciding and comparing trike conversions company's and their features, I found out ABS does not apply when triking a Goldwing...........:oops:

Watch brings up another question: Do the "linked brakes feature" on the Goldwings still apply when triking?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I am sorry but you are mistaken or misunderatnding the information you have found .........

Many kits retain the ABS as well as the linked braking back to front. However front to back is disabled on all but DFT due to the additional brake caliper in the rear.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I am sorry but you are mistaken or misunderatnding the information you have found .........

Many kits retain the ABS as well as the linked braking back to front. However front to back is disabled on all but DFT due to the additional brake caliper in the rear.

Spencer you are also mistaken... If the linked system has not been totally disabled then you will find the 30/70 or 70/30 link is indeed in tact. The proportioning valve either provides the link or it doesn't. No way to kill one way only. Most kits do in fact maintain the linked system but several charge extra to carry over the ABS feature.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Spencer you are also mistaken... If the linked system has not been totally disabled then you will find the 30/70 or 70/30 link is indeed in tact. The proportioning valve either provides the link or it doesn't. No way to kill one way only. Most kits do in fact maintain the linked system but several charge extra to carry over the ABS feature.
Those statements may be correct as applies to the particular Brand You own.
However,,,,
None are correct as pertains to the Brand Spencer owns and rides.
Take that to the Bank.
Sure Gympy knows the Brand he owns and rides 100% as well.

Overall, since I personally don't know about some of the others with 100% Surety,
I won't throw in my 2 Cents knowing it may be a "Bad Check".
But hey,,,, That's just me :thumbup:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Those statements may be correct as applies to the particular Brand You own.
However,,,,
None are correct as pertains to the Brand Spencer owns and rides.
Take that to the Bank.
Sure Gympy knows the Brand he owns and rides 100% as well.

Overall, since I personally don't know about some of the others with 100% Surety,
I won't throw in my 2 Cents knowing it may be a "Bad Check".
But hey,,,, That's just me :thumbup:
Please, kind Sir, if my statement is in error tell us where and if not tell us your real understanding of how GL1800 brakes operate. I'm always looking to increase my knowledge and I'm sure that is important to other members also...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Spencer you are also mistaken... If the linked system has not been totally disabled then you will find the 30/70 or 70/30 link is indeed in tact. The proportioning valve either provides the link or it doesn't. No way to kill one way only.
The second brake line to the rear that would normally be effected by application of the front brake is simply partially removed and its port blocked leaving a single brake line to the rear that is split to activate both rear brake calipers evenly only when the rear brake is applied. The balance of the system is left untouched.

and everyone say howdy to DD ....

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The second brake line to the rear that would normally be effected by application of the front brake is simply partially removed and its port blocked leaving a single brake line to the rear that is split to activate both rear brake calipers evenly only when the rear brake is applied. The balance of the system is left untouched.

Correct!!!!!!!!
say howdy to DD ....

·
Registered
242 Posts
Please, kind Sir, if my statement is in error tell us where and if not tell us your real understanding of how GL1800 brakes operate. I'm always looking to increase my knowledge and I'm sure that is important to other members also...
But of Course! Will be a pleasure to share my "understanding".
Spencer & Charlie have already provided the Definitive 100% CORRECT answer and explanation of the Brake Linking of their Brand's post-Conversion Brake Config. So, I will spare the Bandwidth and forego the unnecessary effort to repeat
In the interest of true disclosure and accuracy as well as validation of their's and my statements: http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/20895-Hannigan-Motorsports-Information-Desk
Post #4.
Confirmation straight from the Manufacturer ;)

Hope this helps and all the best to you :thumbup:

Also, that Manufacturer does indeed retain the ABS functionality post-Conversion and does NOT "upcharge" for that Feature/Service on a GL1800.

·
Registered
734 Posts

Thanks for the information Spencer. I'm always looking for this sort of stuff. It's the kind of question that is likely to come up in conversation and I sure don't like to lead others astray. I really do appreciate it.

I wonder why Hannigan does that???? Has anyone ever told you? Could be something as simple as the rear caliper they use does not accommodate the second line input. No matter... It obviously works well.

Thanks again for setting me straight.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It is my understanding that DFT kits accommodate the linked braking.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Linked?

My Lehman with independant suspension has the linked system operational.
I to have the Lehman IRS and the rear brakes work by themselves as does the front. They are NOT linked. I am sorry the ABS was not optional but the brakes work, just not as good as I would like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts