GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out if the rear brake applies both front and rear or rear only? I currently use the rear brake in slow speed maneuvers. Specifically u turns and know how disastrous applying your front brake in these situations can be. Does anyone have experience braking this way and how do you get around the linked brakes if so. It's a 2010 non abs model.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I am trying to figure out if the rear brake applies both front and rear or rear only? I currently use the rear brake in slow speed maneuvers. Specifically u turns and know how disastrous applying your front brake in these situations can be. Does anyone have experience braking this way and how do you get around the linked brakes if so. It's a 2010 non abs model.
If your bike is a non ABS, then your brakes work independently from each other.. If it has ABS, then your rear brake will work both front and rear at the same time.
ABS is a fantastic safety feature, but it can be a booger-bear in gravel.........

:flg: 'Murica!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
If your bike is a non ABS, then your brakes work independently from each other.. If it has ABS, then your rear brake will work both front and rear at the same time.
ABS is a fantastic safety feature, but it can be a booger-bear in gravel.........

Whether it's ABS or not, it is still linked.

When the brake pedal is depressed braking pressure is applied to the two
outer pistons of the rear brake caliper and the center piston of the left front
caliper
When the brake lever is squeezed on the handlebar, braking pressure is applied to all three
pistons of the right front caliper, the two outer pistons of the left front caliper and the center piston of the rear caliper

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
They are all linked. It’s best to just think you have a hand lever and foot lever. Just do a interweb search for gl1800 brake system schematic and it helps to visualize what’s going on.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I thought they were all linked. I do have abs and i know that i wear out the back twice as fast as the front.
Unusual. Do your braking procedure rely heavily on applying foot brake vs. hand lever? I always find that my front pads wear twice as fast as rear.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Does anyone have experience braking this way and how do you get around the linked brakes if so. It's a 2010 non abs model.
Hi Andy,
I am a nut about practicing and staying proficient on board-scraping slow speed maneuvers.

Yes, the brake pedal applies SOME front brake. But only some, and if you are feathering the rear brake, it’s essentially invisible. If you stab the pedal, you’ll feel a little grab on the front brakes and a little tug through the handlebars. It’s unsettling at first, but you’ll get accustomed to it.

I think because it’s apply twice as much force to the rear brakes as to the front, the stabilizing force of the rear brakes outweighs the destabilizing effect of front brake.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Whether it's ABS or not, it is still linked.

When the brake pedal is depressed braking pressure is applied to the two
outer pistons of the rear brake caliper and the center piston of the left front
caliper
When the brake lever is squeezed on the handlebar, braking pressure is applied to all three
pistons of the right front caliper, the two outer pistons of the left front caliper and the center piston of the rear caliper
I never would have imagined that...……. guess I need to start digging more into the innards of my beloved ride.....
Apparently there's more to her than topping off the tank and checking the windshield wiper... :grin2:

That's why I love you guys! I'm always learning something!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts