GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was looking to purchase a new C8 Corvette, I found a thread on their forum that listed all the known dealerships selling at MSRP, without "junk fees" and other mandatory options.

That list saved time and frustration. Yes, there was a waiting list (< 6 months), but you could get the car how you wanted.

I hope to find something similar on this forum for the 2023 Goldwing; if one already exists, please point it out. If not, I would like to see a list started.

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
908 Posts
No bikes = no lists. Soon enough, everything will go back to normal. more or less, till the next wild...wild west will show up in this great country and the world. More bikes will be around, more of everything. Today, you get a quote via email, out the door pricing, even at bike dealerships. Not an issue anymore. That is how I, also leased my car. Got 7 quotes, same color, options, charges and stocked or delivery time. Picked the lowest one and showed up. 1 hour later, I had the key.

·
Registered
Future Goldwing owner - current sport bike owner looking to sell
117 Posts
I was in my local moto dealership last Saturday and they had a new 2022 Goldwing bagger with "$1960 in dealer markup" on the price tag. This is in addition to the normal delivery fee and dealer prep.
Another reason I'll be buying a used 2018+. Pretty much the same bike as the '23.
A nationwide search on CycleTrader shows quite a few 'Wings that are a couple of years old with less than 15,000 miles for way less than new and are still under warranty in many cases.
I'd love to go brand new but the thousands more dollars I'd have to pay for essentially the same thing used doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I was in my local moto dealership last Saturday and they had a new 2022 Goldwing bagger with "$1960 in dealer markup" on the price tag. This is in addition to the normal delivery fee and dealer prep.
I looked at a couple new 1-ton duallies today. One had a $10K "market adjustment" and the other was a $15K "market adjustment". Sales man said not to worry about that. Trucks have been on the lot for at least 3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
WHY would anyone in right mind pay MSRP for ANYTHING?

That's what manufacturer suggest dealership charge...to make a handsome profit to stay in business, I assume?

I have yet to pay that price. Go with cash in hand, do A LOT of online research, print them out BEFORE you go to the dealership...bargaining advantage when you KNOW and NOT have a sucker printed on your forehead going in to dealership.

·
Registered
Future Goldwing owner - current sport bike owner looking to sell
117 Posts
This may be a regional thing.
I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area where all the tech companies are. Lots of techies making good money with stock options living here and the dealers know it. I'm not in tech by the way.
I bought a used 2014 Camaro for my daughter at a dealership in San Jose in August and they wouldn't come down one dollar - because they don't need to.

·
Registered
239 Posts

That's what manufacturer suggest dealership charge...to make a handsome profit to stay in business, I assume?

I have yet to pay that price. Go with cash in hand, do A LOT of online research, print them out BEFORE you go to the dealership...bargaining advantage when you KNOW and NOT have a sucker printed on your forehead going in to dealership.
It depends; cash is not always king anymore. Many dealers (car and motorcycle) hate it when you pay cash, and in some instances, you may get a worse deal than if you financed. Why? Dealers get a cut of the financing, and will sacrifice on the frontend especially for high credit score buyers. Every situation is different, but sometimes it’s better to make a deal, finance, and then pay off the loan. Or, with a low enough rate, it may be advantageous to retain your cash.

·
Registered
2021 Goldwing Tour DCT
9 Posts
I'm not sure this will help or what has changed since, but after looking locally and out of state (Texas), I found a dealership near Houston that was willing to sell me a new 2021 Goldwing Tour DCT for the $29,300 MSRP OTD (Tax, Title, License, fees). I looked nationwide and decided to drive 4 hours from San Antonio to the Houston area because this dealership had some in stock and didn't play games (and out of state purchases would still require me to pay the taxes I thought I was saving). I can give you the dealership and contact if interested. Also, I believe dealerships do well with service.

I've been enjoying my DCT Tour ever since and would give them first shot at my business if/when I'm in the market again. Best of luck finding a dealer who will work with you and not be too greedy.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
It depends; cash is not always king anymore. Many dealers (car and motorcycle) hate it when you pay cash, and in some instances, you may get a worse deal than if you financed. Why? Dealers get a cut of the financing, and will sacrifice on the frontend especially for high credit score buyers. Every situation is different, but sometimes it’s better to make a deal, finance, and then pay off the loan. Or, with a low enough rate, it may be advantageous to retain your cash.
STILL, never pay MSRP is my point.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
in 2005, I drove to Chattanooga, TN to get a new 2005 Goldwing. None of those "setup, extraneous charges" like Illinois and adjacent states wanted to charge. Not sure where you're located, but check with Southern Honda Powersports in Chattanooga, TN.

·
Registered
2021 6 speed Wing, 2021 Kawasaki Z900RS, 2019 Road Glide
2,769 Posts
The easiest way to get a decent deal is via the internet. Email several dealers and request an itemized "out the door" quote. If a dealer does not respond with the requested information, cross them off the list. Once you have your quotes, make your decision. Easy to do from the comfort of home. Since Goldwings are in short supply, be prepared to pay MSRP plus the freight and surcharges listed on the Honda website.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

What your saying is true, but when was the last time you purchased any type of a motorize anything don't fool yourself MSRP is what most pay these days, you can talk all you want but there is someone standing behind you that can hardly wait to spend the cash if you will just move over and get out the way and remember if what you want will not cause you any discomfort in the way you live you may want to do it tomorrow is not promised and so many people talk about they wish they would have done what ever but my health failed me overnight.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What your saying is true, but when was the last time you purchased any type of a motorize anything don't fool yourself MSRP is what most pay these days, you can talk all you want but there is someone standing behind you that can hardly wait to spend the cash if you will just move over and get out the way and remember if what you want will not cause you any discomfort in the way you live you may want to do it tomorrow is not promised and so many people talk about they wish they would have done what ever but my health failed me overnight.
You are so correct. I have been on a waiting list at Honda of Russellville for months now for both a 2022 and a 2023. They won't even give you a price until they get the bike in and you can't put money down on one either. They basically call you and tell you there is one in and then I guess you can get a price for it OTD. It's crazy really. My local dealer is selling MSRP and will not come off that because like you said there is someone in line behind you waiting to buy. They will at least let you put money down on one. They have been telling me they have a 2022 Blue coming in but that has been 6 months now and they keep pushing the date back. I didn't want to put a deposit down as I was hoping that Honda of Russellville being as large of a dealer as they are would get some in sooner. That hasn't happened either.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I walked into a dealer with my checkbook, picked out a bike and asked the salesman "how much is this one?". He couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me. I got the sales manager an showed him my checkbook and told him that I wanted to buy that bike, and could he tell me how much it was......

They wanted me to commit to buy it (wasn't that what I was already doing ?) and then sit down in that little office with the finance guy and then they could figure out how much it was.

THAT was a weird experience. Of course, we went somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
"When was the last time?". I bought my wife her latest 2021 Camry SE last year with papers in hand from MY online research to our favorite dealer in nearby town.

I/we purchased w trucks and 2 cars before, EXACTLY the same way.

DID NOT pay MSRP for any of the cars or trucks. I paid AT LEAST $3-5,000 BELOW MSRP.

It took nearly all day of back and forth, I NEVER gave in to the sales pressure, started to walk out few times, each time he stopped us.

After @6 hours of back and forth, we got it for what I WANTED to pay for the vehicles.

Same salesman each time, HE KNOWS US. When we walk in to buy a car, we will buy it that same day but, we're a hard negotiator and tough sell.

I/we NEVER walked out without a new vehicle when we went to buy a car/truck.

ADVANTAGE me/us. Persistence and 800+ credit score do magic for us. That's how much HE KNOW us.

We DON'T B.S, all business and HE know it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Great point. Purchased a new 4Runner few months back, and got a great deal with significantly lowered price by taking out a (three year) loan. Paid it off 90 days later in cash with the interest component representing a mere fraction of the lowered sale price. Just be sure it is simple interest, and know the exact penalty "pay-off date" before signing. Maybe should have kept note as it was only 5.65%.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Just saw an ad in yesterday's newspaper showing 2022 Ford Bronco's. MSRP was between $35k and $45K. All of them had an added "Market Adjustment" of $10k. Dealers can get what they want for popular vehicles. The extra $10k must be for things like tires, wipers, seats and windows. o_O

1 - 20 of 40 Posts