GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years, my Eyes have become a little old and tired. Here is a little tip that I use in my shop, to help me better see the sizes on wrenches and sockets.

I take the wrench or socket set, and clean them good with lacquer thinner or you can use anything that you like. Make sure that the size stamped indent is free of grease etc.

Once clean, I fill the size indent to overflow with nail polish. I use Blue for SAE and Yellow for Metric. I let the polish set up and dry for an hour or two.

Then I take a sharp single edged razor blade and cut the excess nail polish off of the top of the size indent. You do not have to get all of it.

Once the razor step is complete, I take very fine steel wool, and I rub over the size indents till the size shows up clear and bright and no residue on the raised areas is evident.

I know you young guys, might think this is silly. But you might want to print this and place it in your important paper folder for a few years down the road.....LOL

The whole process on a 12 piece socket or wrench set takes less than 15 minutes, not counting drying time.

Hope someone might get some value with this idea.

Bulldog

S

·
0 Posts
Hi Luth... I haven't been on the board in some time and saw your post so thought I would drop you a message and say "hey".. Your time is short bro and Meesh is getting antsy... You best keep your distance from her till the BIG DAY! Sure wish I could make it. I can only imagine how you both are feeling as time gets closer. Make your union an Enternal thing and not just for time.

Hope you both are well my friend. Sure good to see your print.

Your friend

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thanks for the tip!

Bob (AKA Mr. Magoo on wheels)

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Sounds like a good tip, Dawg...now, just point me towards my 6' high tool box so I can try it out. :lol:

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
Great idea Bulldog, I have often wondered why the tool manufacturers wanted to make these numbers so difficult to see. Maybe Hal will start selling nail polish.
Where are you seeing this HDL $379 extended warranty? Says $459 on my computer. Maybe the sale is over already?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Bulldog, I tried to read your post...but I couldnt get the nail polish off so I could read it!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Chard Member
12,961 Posts
I did you one better Bulldog. I had mine all stamped in braille. I can now work in the dark also. :D As I get older I question why a 100 watt light bulb only puts out 50 watts. LOL!! They must be making the bulbs cheaper. :lol:

It's sometimes rough getting older, but I don't like the alternative! :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts