GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much air pressure you guys running in them little tires on your campers? If this will cause controversy PM me . I am thinking 10-15psi will do just fine ,but i want to hear from seasoned campers :thumbup: 4.80/4/8.00 tires BTW Texas trip in21 days ,never too early to get ready :lol: I am driving wife crazy :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
Oh Sure, Rail,...

You can't come to W-Va for a Ride-in but you can "go to Texas....:evil:

I think... your just afraid to match YOUR COOKIES up against "Wing Nut's"

BTW, the tire pressure... I think about 120lbs is about right. (considering you carrying a full load)

thecruiser

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe my rollahome calls for 60#. Just got it though.
Yes I know that's what the max load raring is but I want to know what people really run. 60 psi and this little tires will be rock hard. Thanks for info though.
Oh Sure, Rail,...

You can't come to W-Va for a Ride-in but you can "go to Texas....:evil:

I think... your just afraid to match YOUR COOKIES up against "Wing Nut's"

BTW, the tire pressure... I think about 120lbs is about right. (considering you carrying a full load)

thecruiser
Brownies are child's play, my wife has been makin them since her easy bake oven at 6years old. There will be my Darkside cookies at ride in you be the judge. Shh brother is paying for 1/2 the trip to Texas by him Shh :thumbup: I got my pride :roll: not really . PM RapidRay about my cookies ,I dare you !!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a dart trailer, the tires say 90 PSI. The center of the tires where wore out when I bought it. I installed new tires. The manufacturer tag on the front of the trailer behind the cooler says, tire pressure should be set at 24 PSI. I set them at 24 PSI. Put over 3000 miles on the new tires going to Wingding and they wore even. Someone that I ride with got 30,000 miles out of his 8 inch tires on his trailer at 25 PSI. That was what the manufacturer of his trailer recommend.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I have 8" tires on my Kompact Kamp and run 25 PSI fully loaded for the road. Works perfect for 3 long tours now with 18K miles. 10-15 is not enough and will cause your tires to heat up and then fail. To much pressure and the center of the tire will wear out.
JMO.

fred

·
Registered
513 Posts
Max rating of 60psi on my Aspen but I don't run that, I run 32psi. When you raise the pressure the trailer gets bouncier. I am sure with more pressure the trailer would roll better and probably give you better gas mileage but you would see more bounce.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I run 25# in my 8" tires on my Travelite camper. As someone else stated too little pressure and the tires will get hot and blow.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sold. 25 psi is where I will start than :bow: thanks again wonderful camping people . You all rock !! :thumbup: I will monitor at fuel stops with lazer temp gauge and adjust accordingly. I am getting this plastic storage boxes with lids right now to organize the camping stuff. Man I can't wait to my first nite off the ground camping with motorcycle. :excited: thanks again everybody and the few that Pmed me :thumbup:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I run 24 lbs. in the tires on our Roll-A-Home and have pulled it about 30,000 miles without a problem

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I started with 25# in our Aspen but was getting outside edge wear so went to 30#. Seems better now.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
What most folks don't understand about the Max PSI that is on the sidewall of the tire is this......that # is put there by the tire manufacturer to let you know that you should never inflate the tire above that #, however the manufacturer has no idea on what type of vehicle that tire is going to be installed on.You should always inflate the tire to the pressure that the vehicle manufacturer recommends. As an example your car tire might indicate a Max PSI of 41 lbs. but if you check your owners manual it will say something like 32-34 lbs. for the optimum ride, wear, etc.

·
Registered
673 Posts
What most folks don't understand about the Max PSI that is on the sidewall of the tire is this......that # is put there by the tire manufacturer to let you know that you should never inflate the tire above that #, however the manufacturer has no idea on what type of vehicle that tire is going to be installed on.You should always inflate the tire to the pressure that the vehicle manufacturer recommends. As an example your car tire might indicate a Max PSI of 41 lbs. but if you check your owners manual it will say something like 32-34 lbs. for the optimum ride, wear, etc.
My trailer does not have any tire pressure specs. or a owners manual :shrug:

·
Registered
657 Posts
pull trailer through a little puddle if tire make a complete contact patch on the pavement you got it right . If only the middle shows to much air if only the sides show not enough.

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
pull trailer through a little puddle if tire make a complete contact patch on the pavement you got it right . If only the middle shows to much air if only the sides show not enough.
Great idea,... I'd never thought of that. :thumbup:
thecruiser

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What also works for tread contact is white shoe polish across entire tread, let dry , take tires out for a spin , adjust accordingly .

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Two very good suggestions above when you have no info on how much to inflate your trailer tires. :yes1:

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not all little tires are created equal comes as no surprise to me as a 3k trailer miles wore out one tire :eek:4: 2 different brands and tires where used when I started . Never measured tread depth but I suspect a bit more than 1/2 when I started. Good news is 3/4 of tread is wore evenly at 25 psi and it rode fairly good with only a little bouncing. I am going to run next set at 20 psi for better wear and less bouncing . Temp gauge showed with my camper and loading weight 20 psi will be fine . Tried 15 psi and got way too hot within 50 miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts