GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
19,462 Posts
Loud pipes lose rights

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The world of Today.

A true experience. A 21 story Apartment Hi Rise and a busted 8 inch main sewer line under slab.

So sewage is leaking under the slab and running over an interior poured structural basement wall. Mounting a cut saw to the wall is not an option as this is a structural wall.

So arrangements are made to saw cut and jackhammer the floor in a restaurant area from 1 a.m till done. Apartment management notifies all the tenants and posts signs stating this. And the fact that water to the building will be cut off for the duration of the work , just in case.

So we go to work and some woman calls the police on us and reports us for disturbance of the peace. Bear in mind this is an emergency repair, there is no real choice about it. It has to be done.

So here come two police offices and tell us to stop. Yep no more noise, you have to stop work. Uh oh. !!! Explanations and common sense reasoning did not prevail and we did stop work for two hours. I requested to speak with the on duty whoever Commander, Captain whomever is the final say , took two hours for him to get to the site.
He concurs, work has to stop.

So I pull out this rabbit, Sir this is an emergency repair and a repair of the main building sewer and if not repaired this is a heath violation and health hazard to the public. There is raw sewage flowing from the pipe and also into the city storm drain. If you do not let us continue work then I submit that you are in violation of the protection of the public. I was struggling for something to come up with. :lol: Sounded good to me.
No you have to stop work .

So we did. At 9 a.m. I was able to speak with DHEC and explain the situation to them. The water to the building is restored and use of the facilities is returned and sewage again flows , by now it has washed out a huge crater under the concrete and is threatening the structure of the building.

So this goes on for two days while all the powers to be fuss over it and finally permission to resume work is granted.

So this time we start work at 4 p.m. no more time to be nice, no more time to notify, just get it done. At 5 p.m. we are told to stop work again as this same tenant has reported us for disturbance of the peace again. Lol!! This time the Shift Captain is aware of the situation and we only lose one hour and are able to complete the saw cut and busting of the floor. The line is repaired and repair of the floor can begin.

The repair bill to the Apartment complex due to the lack of common sense and ignorance of all and due to the complaint of one person cost them an additional time and material amount of shall we say over 20K extra. A crew on site, equipment on site, pumps and waiting around for the common sense decision to proceed with the work. Also the apartment manager is a wishy washy liberal type and is worried sick about the violation of the noise and so concerned with the complaint of this one tenant he is acting like an idiot. I told him to just tell that tenant to move............no he said he would give her a free months rent.

The voice of one, in the modern world, can rule the majority. The violation of the rights of one can overpower the majority.

The right to a healthy functional place to live for 300 plus tenants is put on hold by the complaints of one. The modern world is so intent of protection of the rights of one , that all must comply.

Be careful what you ask for, as you may get it.

Kit

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Increasing government restrictions are a very slippery slope and a trend that I greatly dislike. Having said that, I also know that excessive noise is physically harmful to the body. I wish the loud pipe children would just grow up, but that probably isn't going to happen so you are likely to see an increasing number of restrictions put in place by less-than-brilliant politicians who want to legislate your behavior.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
MY PROBLEM!!! NOT trucks cars semis OR ANY OTHER noise makers!!!!!!!!

JUST MOTORCYCLES!!!!!!!! WHY NOT ALL VIEHICALS!!!!????????

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish the loud pipe children would just grow up, but that probably isn't going to happen...
Hey I only take my loud pipe bikes out for wheelie play/ track day or when I wanna play rough in the sandbox. Does that make me a part time orphan child? Or just a heartless dumbass belligerent child?

LOL never mind you don't have to answer.

I think the db on the NH law proposal is a bit on the overly "safe" side.

Besides a lot more folks are tolerant to loud pipes than you might think. Both moto and non moto people. I get more thumbs up than gestures of disapproval. However, I do get a few of them as well but 1 to every 50 thumbs up.

I think the numbers are a vocal minority of non moto folks that want to keep the children from wanting loud pipes because the are so fun and full time Wing riders that never have dirty blue jeans not even while changing oil. Or something like that but my hearing ain't as good as it once was....

But what ya gonna do? I guess that's what we got them there law makers for right?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Hey I only take my loud pipe bikes out for wheelie play/ track day or when I wanna play rough in the sandbox. Does that make me a part time orphan child? Or just a heartless dumbass belligerent child?

LOL never mind you don't have to answer.

I think the db on the NH law proposal is a bit on the overly "safe" side.

Besides a lot more folks are tolerant to loud pipes than you might think. Both moto and non moto people. I get more thumbs up than gestures of disapproval. However, I do get a few of them as well but 1 to every 50 thumbs up.

I think the numbers are a vocal minority of non moto folks that want to keep the children from wanting loud pipes because the are so fun and full time Wing riders that never have dirty blue jeans not even while changing oil. Or something like that but my hearing ain't as good as it once was....

But what ya gonna do? I guess that's what we got them there law makers for right?
For me, the issues is less one of tolerance and more one of concern for others. Loud noise is harmful to people's health. Aside from causing tinnitus and loss of hearing, noise can increase blood pressure, trigger increased heart rates or arrhythmia, disruption of fetal development babies and other assorted problems. There is certainly nothing wrong with loud pipes at the track but on the street, it is just disrespectful, childish and potentially harmful to others.

·
Registered
17,141 Posts
Thing is, the People of New Hampshire have the right to institute a law or ordinance prohibiting noise in excess of specified levels and with variations in such level based upon time of day. It has very well extablished precidents and the intent to protect the rights of the People, not to curb them. The folks with illegal exhaust have rights too, but those rights CEASE when they impinge upon the rights of the People in general. One or two or even twenty five citizens having fun and excitment should not violoate the rights of hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands. Not to mention that the Feds have already made it illegal to modify or replace pipes with ones that do not meet DOT specs for vehicles in that VIN group. The problem I have with all of that is unequal enforcement. It really is not a motorcycle thing, the ordinances should apply and be enforced equally to all vehicles and sound sources. I would think that violation of the equal protection provisions of the US Constitution would apply as a defense.

Now in Kit's case with the work on public or even private facilities that involves pubilc health and EPA risks, it should have been very easy and quick to get a judge to issue an injunciton to force law enforcement to allow the work to continue.

prs

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Thing is, the People of New Hampshire have the right to institute a law or ordinance prohibiting noise in excess of specified levels and with variations in such level based upon time of day. It has very well extablished precidents and the intent to protect the rights of the People, not to curb them. The folks with illegal exhaust have rights too, but those rights CEASE when they impinge upon the rights of the People in general. One or two or even twenty five citizens having fun and excitment should not violoate the rights of hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands. Not to mention that the Feds have already made it illegal to modify or replace pipes with ones that do not meet DOT specs for vehicles in that VIN group. The problem I have with all of that is unequal enforcement. It really is not a motorcycle thing, the ordinances should apply and be enforced equally to all vehicles and sound sources. I would think that violation of the equal protection provisions of the US Constitution would apply as a defense.

Now in Kit's case with the work on public or even private facilities that involves pubilc health and EPA risks, it should have been very easy and quick to get a judge to issue an injunciton to force law enforcement to allow the work to continue.

prs
Yes, but not at 1 a.m.

It was totally stupid anyway. It is simply something I still have a hard time believing even though it happened. It was and still is hard to comprehend the whole thing.

But it is a good example of the way things can go, when common sense has fled.
The police were simply answering the complaint, did not use common sense due to their system, and one person held up many things, created lots of expense for the Apartment Complex.

Were I the manager of the place I would have told that tenant, you have a room reserved at the motel down the street. Please go there for now. I would have done this at the time, and later evicted the trouble maker.

But even the manager of the place was so intent on non violation of some perceived right, that his brain did not function. He was all in a stu about the whole deal. All upset......over what?? Send the troublemaker to a motel, get rid of them later. Get the job done..........

Wonder if he still has his job? If I was the owner of the place I would have one eye shut on this one.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
For me, the issues is less one of tolerance and more one of concern for others. Loud noise is harmful to people's health. Aside from causing tinnitus and loss of hearing, noise can increase blood pressure, trigger increased heart rates or arrhythmia, disruption of fetal development babies and other assorted problems. There is certainly nothing wrong with loud pipes at the track but on the street, it is just disrespectful, childish and potentially harmful to others.
Wow. What a stretch.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Increasing government restrictions are a very slippery slope and a trend that I greatly dislike. Having said that, I also know that excessive noise is physically harmful to the body. I wish the loud pipe children would just grow up, but that probably isn't going to happen so you are likely to see an increasing number of restrictions put in place by less-than-brilliant politicians who want to legislate your behavior.
You bring up the question:

Has anyone ever seen a person (s) with their fingers in their ears (not a little kid mind you) when they see a fire truck/police car/Ambulance go screaming through and intersection.
I'm wondering out loud here what do these people do if they suffer hearing loss?.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Stearman, you sound like a PETA person and a tree hugger. The sky is falling! You would have to have extreme prolonged exposure to loud noise, a lot louder than motorcycle pipes to have all those problems you are attributing to loud pipes.

Point me to one, just one person you know who has gotten tinnitus, loss of hearing, increased heart rates, etc., etc., from motorcycle pipes! How long are you exposed to loud mc pipes? Maybe 2 minutes a week? What is the real reason you guys hate loud pipes???

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
And how many of them will be down at city hall showing their support for loud pipes when needed? ZERO.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Stearman, you sound like a PETA person and a tree hugger. The sky is falling! You would have to have extreme prolonged exposure to loud noise, a lot louder than motorcycle pipes to have all those problems you are attributing to loud pipes.

Point me to one, just one person you know who has gotten tinnitus, loss of hearing, increased heart rates, etc., etc., from motorcycle pipes! How long are you exposed to loud mc pipes? Maybe 2 minutes a week?
That's rather like arguing that there's no point inspecting fish because others foods can also carry salmonella. The things Stearman pointed out are in fact the documented results of environmental noise and loud pipes are in fact a component of environmental noise.

What is the real reason you guys hate loud pipes???
Please tell us what you think the "real" reason is. This should be even funnier than the assertion that Stearman is a "tree hugger" or a "PETA person."

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Live Free or Die New Hampshire Rep goes after loud pipes and is doing some "explaining" to his constiuents.

Because they scare Wing riders and upset the children.

This is going to get more and more common I am afraid.

Love it or hate it it is coming to a State House near you.

If you hate it it might be wise to fire off a few emails, That Live Free or Die Incororated somehow.

http://m.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?aid=/20110828/OPINION/108280330&template=wapart
Loud pipe people brought this on themselves. Or at least the really obnoxious ones did.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I agree that the folks with obnoxiously loud pipes have brought this on themselves.
But in my opinion the laws should target ANY vehicle that exceeds the decibel limit.

Ralph Wenzl

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Damn and here all that Kit and crew needed is a pack of straight fish pipes and the could have covered. Rocky, such an interesting concept. Might have to get me blue lights.

Yes grandma always said the only noise people like is the noise they make themselves.
Darn'et all anyway.

We are on the slippery slide.

And just for the record I never go unbaffled in residential neighborhoods after 10 on school nights and never rev rpm at a stop light. The slow throb is more manly.

Still NH is setting the db a bit low. Also is a difference with contained continuous like say a school lunch room and moving on down the road with a cultural legacy grin now and then.

But I do know heart rate can increase for some civilians and riders as well. The best civilian being one on the back.

And if you have never been on the making end of loud pipe noise you should try it some time you might like it.

Saftey first and as always corrupt the children before they get too brainwashed about bikes by mom and dad.

What about lawn mowers those things drive me nuts! And its not just the sound of them... Just to grasp at another straw.

Don't forget to vote and have givin your local rep at least 10k in campaign contributions in some fashion or another so you might get lucky and be put through when you call.

What the heck why not a bakers dozen or so more of them there law things. I can give away the jelly ones I don't like right? I like my donuts old school with black coffee and my hearing aids out so I can concentrate on reading the paper without distraction.

Any NH folks out there? What's your on the ground sense with this in the Live Free or Die state?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts

Point me to one, just one person you know who has gotten tinnitus, loss of hearing, increased heart rates, etc., etc., from motorcycle pipes! How long are you exposed to loud mc pipes? Maybe 2 minutes a week? What is the real reason you guys hate loud pipes???
Frankly, you don't have a clue about what kind of person I am. I am the kind of person who does happen to know a good number of people with tinnitus and hearing loss due to years on loud motorcycles. There have been a good number on this board who have complained of the same. You must have missed it. Regardless, the harmful effects of noise are well documented. You just aren't very well educated. Try reading up (Google "Harmful Effects of Noise"), growing up and acting like a responsible adult instead of some spoiled adolescent.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts