GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Have seen people do it:eek:4: but I havent. I like getting off the bike and stretching a bit when I fuel up..

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
No, I don't think I've ever fueled while on the bike. I have to get off the bike to put my credit card into the slot and grab the nozzle. I suppose it could be done if I were to park right up against the pump, but "why?".

Even when doing Ironbutt runs, that time spent fueling is time to stretch and re-arrange my gear and supplies. I normally spend only 5 to 7 minutes at a gas pump anyway, and I personally see no advantage to me for remaining on the bike while refueling.

Glen

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
No, I don't think I've ever fueled while on the bike. I have to get off the bike to put my credit card into the slot and grab the nozzle. I suppose it could be done if I were to park right up against the pump, but "why?".

Even when doing Ironbutt runs, that time spent fueling is time to stretch and re-arrange my gear and supplies. I normally spend only 5 to 7 minutes at a gas pump anyway, and I personally see no advantage to me for remaining on the bike while refueling.

Glen
I don't because I don't want to risk getting gas on my 'gear'. Burns would be bad. Even without a flame, that could cause some pain and er.. discomfort if not cleaned immediately.:eek:4:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Always have , Always will, even if we are stopping for a break, fill up move to shady location.:popcorn:

·
Registered
630 Posts

Glen
+1

I see no advantage to staying on the bike. I always get off.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Fuel Up

Do it all the time. Turn the bike to ACC and fuel up. On my way in less than 5 minutes and back on the road.

DOC:thumbup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not for the last 30 years. It's smarter to get off, fuel can be dangerous. If you did spill some where would it go? you would be Mr. Hot pants? Whats the rush?
Jimbo Dean:thumbup:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Not a wise decision. Never!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
One can only guess the family jewels have little value........aye?
Some have confidence they can fill the tank without spilling, others don't. Not much different than filling a glass of water. You watch what your doing, go slow and it's no big deal. ;)

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Some have confidence they can fill the tank without spilling, others don't. Not much different than filling a glass of water. You watch what your doing, go slow and it's no big deal. ;)
Ya, and while your intently watching what you're doing, some wack job in a cage pulls in too fast and crashes into the back of your bike... Got eyes in the back of your helmet? No thanks... get off, be safe.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Just don't ride with your fuzzy sweater on those dry evenings... ;)

At the very least... ground yourself before touching that nozzle.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Anyone here EVER seen or had a bad experience filling up the tank while straddling the bike?
Anyone?

I'm assuming that all we will here about is spilled fuel on the nads. While very uncomfortable, not life threatening.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I use a ride off center stand so it goes on that then I dismount. While fueling I clean the windshield since I have the F4 I can use the gas station windshield cleaning wand without concern. About the time the shield is clean I am back at the nozzle to do top off. Then grab receipt and jot down mileage and other notes. Back on the bike and off we go.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Anyone here EVER seen or had a bad experience filling up the tank while straddling the bike?
Anyone?

I'm assuming that all we will here about is spilled fuel on the nads. While very uncomfortable, not life threatening.
No, but I did keep my gloves on while refueling once, spilled fuel on my glove, didn't know I had and then rubbed my eyes. It was several hours before I could see well enough to ride again. Take my word, this is not something you want to do to yourself.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Anyone?

No, but I did keep my gloves on while refueling once, spilled fuel on my glove, didn't know I had and then rubbed my eyes. It was several hours before I could see well enough to ride again. Take my word, this is not something you want to do to yourself.
Thank God you're not a dog!:joke:

1 - 20 of 90 Posts