GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a single rail kendon Trailer. Would any one know the best way to load the Wing.
Walk it up or ride it up Either way seems pretty shakey by your self.

Any ideas how to modify the traler to make it easier to load and unload.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've got the exact same combination, and you're right, there's no safe way to ride the bike onto the trailer because your feet can't reach the ground, and walking it up from the side is even scarier, if the front tire doesn't hit the track just right, the bike could land on top of you, trust me , I know! I made a set of 5ft. ramps for my feet out of 2X4's and temporarily bolt them to the trailer for loading and unloading. It looks kind of Mickey Mouse, but they work, and it is a lot safer. I don't see how having a second or even third person would help, unless they're willing to lie on the ground so you have a place to put your feet!!!!!! The ramp thing works, trust me.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I have a two rail Kandon trailer, but the old model, not the tubular one sold lately. I never trusted the ramp and always walked along the Wing when loading, by using the engine power, and unloading, by using the reverse.

On one occasion, I was unloading the Wing in my driveway, and for some reason, I released the reverse button, stopping the Wing with the rear tire on the ramp. The ramp buckled from the weight. I was able to successfully unload the Wing and I've since repaired the ramp (which was a wide metal channel) and welded some stock angle-iron on the length of its sides, then painted everything.

By the way, a phone call to Kandon revealed that they couldn't care less about the bent ramp. They kept saying that it shouldn't have bent, ah, but we know otherwise.

If you have the old model, be careful with the ramp. Either way, I wouldn't add the weight of my body on its ramp by riding it up.

Happy trailering.

Mike

·
Registered
153 Posts
This is an old post, but I wanted to update you regarding loading a Wing on a Kendon Dual Rail Trailer.

I just completed a 240 mile trip with a Goldwing on a Kendon dual rail trailer.

All went VERY well :D . The kendon trailer handled the Goldwing very well over bumps, hills and grades. Loading and unloading can be done by one person (my wife could only watch and help with the strapping).

I used the optional center rail, and added an additional bracket under the diamond bar to secure the rail to the main center post. Kendon should have provided this 2 dollar EMI bracket as part of the kit.

To load the Goldwing, I used the engine’s power and walked the bike up. I found that I could stop, just before I placed the front tire into the wheel chock for final alignment. The only way to align the front wheel with the rail is if your standing to the side, looking down. My engine stopped once, but since your bike rests on the trailer at this point, there was no issue about it coasting back.

For the record, if you don't use the optional center rail, but used the standard outboard rails, loading and unloading would be even easier. The stock rails have longer guide bars, and there's no tie down bracket to navigate around.

The kendon trailer is very nice! It took the bumps better than my vehicle!

The only issue now is that I used a $29 bike cover to protect the wing from the elements, but while trailing at speeds of 65mph and with outside winds at 30-45 mph, the cover became a cape. I took the cover off.

I received several thumbs up :yes1: from several people, 06 wing on a 07 kendon!

By the way, we parked about 90 miles from our Galveston destination, and went on a ferry ride (wing on a boat).

Here's a pic:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts