GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, has anyone hauled a Goldwing in a side loading toy hauler. I am getting a Keystone Outback Toyhauler and am brainstorming for revising garage door/ramp. Being that the floor of toy haulers is about 3 feet off the ground, the stock door/ramp is too short and steep to keep from "high-centering" at the top of the ramp; so some careful, sturdy lengthening of the ramp is in order.

Also, being a side loader, it does no good to raise or lower end of Trailer . . . as a matter of fact, the trailer needs to be level, so the end of ramp is uniformly and evenly in contact with the ground.

It seems the most reasonable solution would be another hinged panel to fold out for the extra length, and use jack stands for support where the ramp hinges.

Has anyone else out there determined the minimum length of ramp needed to keep from high-centering at the garage door, going in or out?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Your going to have to set the the end of the toyhauler ramp on something to lift it off the ground about 1.5 ft. Then use an additional ramp from the end to the ground. Effectively doubling the length of the ramp.

Or mount a rampage type lift so you can drag it up with a winch.

The RV industry has gotten really cheap. They tend to be building the trailers on flatbed frame configurations. Makes for a crappy RV in my opinion. High floors that require a flight of stairs to get into..... and then for toy haulers you get into the issue you have to deal with.

Ranchers won't put up with it.... look at their equipment..... horse trailers just inches off the ground and they drag them down all shorts of ranch roads.

·
Registered
637 Posts
So, has anyone hauled a Goldwing in a side loading toy hauler. I am getting a Keystone Outback Toyhauler and am brainstorming for revising garage door/ramp. Being that the floor of toy haulers is about 3 feet off the ground, the stock door/ramp is too short and steep to keep from "high-centering" at the top of the ramp; so some careful, sturdy lengthening of the ramp is in order.

Also, being a side loader, it does no good to raise or lower end of Trailer . . . as a matter of fact, the trailer needs to be level, so the end of ramp is uniformly and evenly in contact with the ground.

It seems the most reasonable solution would be another hinged panel to fold out for the extra length, and use jack stands for support where the ramp hinges.

Has anyone else out there determined the minimum length of ramp needed to keep from high-centering at the garage door, going in or out?

Will watch this with interest. This is precisely why I have opted not to purchase a side loading toy hauler.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

This post is a little old but I'm not sure if you can fit a Wing into the Outback trailer. Might be to short. Plus as you found out the ramp is not long enough.

Glenn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts