GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best thing for a tow truck driver to connect to in order to pull a dead Goldwing onto a flatbed truck?

·
Registered
337 Posts
There is a local company here that specializes in motorcycle towing. They have a flatbed that off-lifts horizontally to the ground and then the bike is pushed on to the bed, strapped down and then the bed is lifted on to the bed of the truck.

I would guess a conventional tow truck could run a strap through or around the forks but I would guess that the front fender could be in peril. Maybe they can run two straps to the crash bars?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’ve had a few motorcycles impounded on traffic stops (cop). Our guy usually pushes or winches them onto a rollback. Someone will hold the bike with the side stand / front brake while he levels the bed. Then he straps them down as if on a trailer. I think a 1200 bandit is the largest bike we’ve had to do this with. Most criminals don’t ride touring bikes I guess. If you could get a soft strap around the triple tree, it could probably be walked / winched slowly. Maybe someone will chime in on first hand experience with a Goldwing.

·
Registered
470 Posts
When mine had to be towed a few months ago, they put the flat bed down on the ground at the shallowest angle they could get it at and had me sit on it while they pushed it onto the ramp so that the rear wheel was just on the bed. They had me stay on hit, one foot down and BOTH brakes applied while they raised the bed back up. They we moved it close to the front and tied it down using the triple tree with the bike sitting on the side stand. Two tie downs at the front and one at the back going through the rear wheel. Bike was fine all the way home, although 3 200lb+ guys in the cab of the truck was pretty tight!

Removal was pretty much the reverse of putting it on.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
KISS ... attach a single long strap to the front crash bars that comes to a 'V' somewhere in front go the front tire. Attach the wench cable at the 'V.' Be in 'N', side stand up, sitting on the seat, have the operator start the wench and walk it up. Be extra careful ... sometime those flat beads are extremely slippery.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
forgot to add that it is a Trike so even heavier than a regular Goldwing. Tow Driver did exactly what Greg said but I was kind of nervous while it was going up the ramp.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Yes, that rolling wheel chock is the way to do it. When you call for a tow you need to ask that the truck is capable of loading a (heavy) motorcycle. A key item you should keep on you bike is soft ties in case the truck doesn't have any and wants to use heavy straps that will run this way and that way, causing damage to the bike. I have 4 soft ties on my bikes.

On my '18, I have a soft tie under the side panel attached to the frame for side stability. All I have to do is take the side panel off and the soft ties are ready to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts