GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puter crashed (3rd time) and I bought a new one. If I am reading right I must reload all CDs into iTunes and start over, can't just add 1-2 CD's. Is that correct?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
871 Posts
The short answer is no. You should not have to re-burn all your cd's.

All the songs still exist on your ipod. The trick is loading them back onto your new computer.

The first thing NOT to do is attach your ipod to your new computer after you have installed itunes. If you do that, the ipod will be updated to the content in your new itunes installation: which is probably zero tunes to start.

If you search Apples website and forums, you will find the correct procedure to restore your itunes library from your ipod.

Don't give up! It can be done... (Don't ask me how I know this)

Lance

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
You need a small program called igadget from Purple Ghost Software. It allows you to copy the contents of your iPod to a HDD of your choice. It's great for creating a backup of your tunes.

While the option shown in the above apple.com post will work, I really like the iGadget program.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I bought a flash drive that I use to back up all my pictures and music to keep this from happening to me AGAIN. They can be found pretty cheap if you keep an eye out on sales going on.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
jbales said:
My puter crashed (3rd time) and I bought a new one. If I am reading right I must reload all CDs into iTunes and start over, can't just add 1-2 CD's. Is that correct?

Thanks in Advance

STOP...don't do anything with that old computer. Even though your old PC crashed, the data is probably still on your hard drive and might be able to be copied off to another drive.

If your new computer has a large enough drive and you can install the drive into the computer, you might be able to read it as a different drive letter. You might run into a problem with the hard drive interface. Most new computers use Serial ATA and the old ones used IDE, but don't give up hope.

Hang on to that old drive (computer). Check around your local area and see if some kid (computer geek) might be able to help you copy the data off. There are also companies that will do that for you, but they charge an arm and a leg.

If push comes to shove and you need help, I'll be glad to try to recover the data for you and either copy the data to another hard drive, re-format your drive and copy the data back (if the drive itself hasn't crashed) or burn it to DVD's. The big thing is did the hard drive actually CRASH. Most of the time, those errors than happen is because the MBR (Master Boot Record) got corrupt. If this is the case, then all if your data is still there.

If I can help, send me a PM. The only thing you'll have to pay for is round-trip shipping of the drive to me (and DVDs if needed). If your drive is still ok, I'll copy the data back to it or to DVDs. If the drive is dead, well....you know.

Let me know if I can help. No, this is not what I do for a living, I'm just one of those who knows too much about computers for my own good!

Bartman

·
Registered
705 Posts
The first thing NOT to do is attach your ipod to your new computer after you have installed itunes. If you do that, the ipod will be updated to the content in your new itunes installation: which is probably zero tunes to start

Nothing personal But,

This is exactly one of the reasons I don't own or want an I-POD.

I don't want Apple or anybody else to manage, help me manage or limit what I can do with a stupid MP3 player.

When I have to buy $$ seperate software to defeat a system

1 - 9 of 9 Posts