GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Apple Carplay and either Waze or Google Maps on my 2018-B. I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to use saved router on either of these? Generally mapping programs want to take you the quickest/shortest way, which is sometimes counter-intuitive on a bike. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Google Maps cannot generate a GPX file, commonly used for 'route sharing' purposes. I'm not 100% certain of this, but don't think Waze can either.

Consider using an app like OsmAnd instead. This will allow you to create a route & save it as a GPX file if you want to share it with others.

The*bad* part? You don't get real-time traffic warnings like you do with those other on-line map routing applications.

...now you know why some riders have (*and use*) more than one GPS on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought Google and Waze can't generate the GPX file, they can import them. The problem is that they are listed as a static route and I can't seem to find a way to bring them up on the phone while in carplay mode. Thanks for the tip on OsmAnd

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Google maps on the PC will let you send the route to Maps on your phone. I just tested it. Set up your route on the PC, and on the left, there is an option "send directions to your phone". It sent the actual route to my phone. Top right corner of the maps screen on the phone, there is an option to "add route to home screen", which will give you an icon you can tap to load it into maps, and you're ready to go.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Thought Google and Waze can't generate the GPX file, they can import them. The problem is that they are listed as a static route and I can't seem to find a way to bring them up on the phone while in carplay mode.
It won't do it in Android Auto either. I just verified this on a new car.

This is an inherent limitation of automotive telematics beyond a simple point A to B route.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts