GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my liscense plate and still need to have the bike inspected. I realized that I was unsure of where to put the inspection sticker. I do not want it on the front forks or the windshield or on any painted or chrome surface. I finally stopped by the Harley shop remembering they had some generic inspection sticker plates that could be used on most any bike. This one will work, it's just not real purdy. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated along with a photo.

Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
Wow, I thought I understood Texas' law concerning registration.

If you bought it in Texas, I think the dealer has a legal obligation to inspect it before he delivers it to you and must prominently display said inspection sticker somewhere on the bike.

If you bought it out of State, how did you get Texas plates without first having the bike inspected? The DMV requires proof of inspection before they will issue tags.

Any Texas cycle shop should have a plate which bolts on with the license plate and the inspection sticker attaches to this plate right below the license plate. Hope that made sense.

You can get them in either plastic or metal, I like both.

Hope this helps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inspection sticker

I did purchase mine out of state. But when I went in to give them (a small fortune) their money for the taxes, Inspection sticker did not come up. I know I have to get it inspected but it was not an issue when I picked up the plate. I have not seen the plastic brackets, I will check that out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
My dealer did my first inspection and put the sticker on a special license plate frame with an extension for the sticker.

Here is one that Hal sells.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
If you go to Bargers the local Honda dealer in Waco back in the parts dept hanging on the wall behind the counter they have metal plates that attach to your license plate and that is where you put the inspection plate. Just about any motorcycle dealer in Texas has these plates except for some Harley shops.

Not a bash on Harleys just most Harleys have their plates in different places and have different mounting plates for the inspection stickers.



Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,534 Posts
Don't have that problem here in the OK state.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
NewBlueWing,
I also bought out of state. Do as JATX suggested and go to Barger's. They have the inspection plates for $5.00 or less. Not real pretty but it gets the job done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
A friend of mine has a neat idea on what to do with the inspection sticker. He took the light out of the bottom of the trunk (tag light) and modified one of those aluminum brackets to fit inbetween the light and the bottom of the trunk. Kinda hard to explain. Now it is up and out of the way, but if you really look for it, you can see it. He did this because he has that huge chrome plate frame from Kury. I'm gonna do it because it looks cleaner from the rear. I don't have any pics of this, but if you're interested in it, I can get some digital ones made and send it to ya. Just send me a PM.

Enduroking
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
I have the metal plate that bolts on with the license plate.

I am pretty sure that on motorcycles in Texas the sticker has to be displayed on the rear.


Interesting side note ,You, Brad S and myself all went out of state to buy our Goldwings instead of our local dealer :roll: :roll: :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
I also bought mine out of state (Oklahoma) and did not have to have it inspected before registration. I have had it just over a year, guess I should get that inspection done. LOL

Billy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
We don’t have any inspection in Michigan. I’m curious, what is it or what does it cover? It sounds like another way for the state to make money.
 

·
Legend in His Own Mind
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
My dealer delivered mine with a plastic dealer logo all in one license plate and sticker frame. I hate it. The inspection sticker portion that hangs below the plate was chaffing the fender so I had to put some felt underneath the sharp edge. I wanna get another one but just haven't found any I like much better. BTW where exactly do you mount that HDL inspection plate, underneath the license plate could also rub the fender. Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
MichMike said:
We don’t have any inspection in Michigan. I’m curious, what is it or what does it cover? It sounds like another way for the state to make money.
Basically, it is a money making scheme for the state. They check tires, brakes, and lights. The safety items. Then depending on the county you reside in and the age of your vehicle, they may or may not check your emission system. And finally they give you a bill for $39.95 and a sticker good for one year. Nice racket if you can get it.

Billy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
[quote="bmoore106"

Basically, it is a money making scheme for the state. They check tires, brakes, and lights. The safety items. Then depending on the county you reside in and the age of your vehicle, they may or may not check your emission system. And finally they give you a bill for $39.95 and a sticker good for one year. Nice racket if you can get it.

Billy[/quote]

Got to agree with the above quote.
Paying the same as a car to go thru "troll booths" is another thing the "CommonWealth" of Virginia does.
Inspection stations have too great of a chance of abuse and most people don't/won't question anything that they say fail.
I do.
Know your vehicle/inspection process for your state.

And no I don't feel any safer on the road because of State Inspections.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
bmoore106 said:
MichMike said:
We don’t have any inspection in Michigan. I’m curious, what is it or what does it cover? It sounds like another way for the state to make money.
Basically, it is a money making scheme for the state. They check tires, brakes, and lights. The safety items. Then depending on the county you reside in and the age of your vehicle, they may or may not check your emission system. And finally they give you a bill for $39.95 and a sticker good for one year. Nice racket if you can get it.

Billy
I'll take an opposing view here. I disagree with you.

I assume that since you are paying $39.95 that you are being emission tested. That requires a lot of high dollar equipment. Where I live, a State Inspection costs $12.50 for a motorcycle or automobile.

Most inspection stations I am familiar with do a good job of checking safety equipment (tires, brakes, lights, etc.) and also check to see that all emission equipment is still present. And, yes, this causes people to go and put on new tires or repair brakes or replace light bulbs. It also discourages owners from removing catalytic convertors and smog pumps and so forth. What's wrong with that? You got something against clean air and safe vehicles?

State law is such that if you are deficient you can go and repair the item and return within a reasonable time and finish the inspection at no extra cost.

As far as it being a money making scheme for the State, check the budget of the DPS and see how much of that $12.50 is going into their account compared to how much they are spending to enforce and regulate the program. The inspection stations themselves get the bulk of the fee. I doubt it's making any of them wealthy either.

At most, it's a minor inconvenience to me.

Just my spin on it. :D
 

·
Legend in His Own Mind
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
$12.50 ??? Not here in the Houston area, in Harris and Montgomery counties it's $39.50 :twisted: and does involve an emissions check unless you have around a mid 70s' or so pre-emission vehicle then it is only $12.50. 8) Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,049 Posts
luckyman said:
bmoore106 said:
MichMike said:
We don’t have any inspection in Michigan. I’m curious, what is it or what does it cover? It sounds like another way for the state to make money.
Basically, it is a money making scheme for the state. They check tires, brakes, and lights. The safety items. Then depending on the county you reside in and the age of your vehicle, they may or may not check your emission system. And finally they give you a bill for $39.95 and a sticker good for one year. Nice racket if you can get it.

Billy
I'll take an opposing view here. I disagree with you.

I assume that since you are paying $39.95 that you are being emission tested. That requires a lot of high dollar equipment. Where I live, a State Inspection costs $12.50 for a motorcycle or automobile.

Most inspection stations I am familiar with do a good job of checking safety equipment (tires, brakes, lights, etc.) and also check to see that all emission equipment is still present. And, yes, this causes people to go and put on new tires or repair brakes or replace light bulbs. It also discourages owners from removing catalytic convertors and smog pumps and so forth. What's wrong with that? You got something against clean air and safe vehicles?

State law is such that if you are deficient you can go and repair the item and return within a reasonable time and finish the inspection at no extra cost.

As far as it being a money making scheme for the State, check the budget of the DPS and see how much of that $12.50 is going into their account compared to how much they are spending to enforce and regulate the program. The inspection stations themselves get the bulk of the fee. I doubt it's making any of them wealthy either.

At most, it's a minor inconvenience to me.

Just my spin on it. :D
I live in Texas and disagree. It is just a way for the state to make money on bikes. All they do istest blinkers,horn and lights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
And to think, all this started by asking how to display an inspection sticker.... :shock: :D

Enduroking
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Teaser 1 said:
$12.50 ??? Not here in the Houston area, in Harris and Montgomery counties it's $39.50 :twisted: and does involve an emissions check unless you have around a mid 70s' or so pre-emission vehicle then it is only $12.50. 8) Terry
Terry, I don't know where you are getting your bike inspected but here in Humble, Tx I paid $12.50 to have my '04 inspected.

GaryO :D
 

·
Legend in His Own Mind
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
garyoward said:
Teaser 1 said:
$12.50 ??? Not here in the Houston area, in Harris and Montgomery counties it's $39.50 :twisted: and does involve an emissions check unless you have around a mid 70s' or so pre-emission vehicle then it is only $12.50. 8) Terry
Terry, I don't know where you are getting your bike inspected but here in Humble, Tx I paid $12.50 to have my '04 inspected.

GaryO :D
Not bikes my post said vehicles, I mean't cages. I guess I should of been more specific,after all this thread is about bikes. :oops: Terry
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top