GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a riding buddy that is having some overheating issues with his 2003 trike. We were having a discussion on location of thermostat as that may be one of the potential issues. By the way, he has never changed the coolant before. Another riding buddy says it doesn't make a difference as coolant is made to last 5 years or more. Can anyone give me an idea where the thermostat is located.:shrug:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I have a riding buddy that is having some overheating issues with his 2003 trike. We were having a discussion on location of thermostat as that may be one of the potential issues. By the way, he has never changed the coolant before. Another riding buddy says it doesn't make a difference as coolant is made to last 5 years or more. Can anyone give me an idea where the thermostat is located.:shrug:
It is in the water pump:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Nice...an answer w/o all the b/s comments.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Great, was just thinking about checking my thermostat too due to a very active water temp gage.

I take it that it is not all that easily acessable?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Great, was just thinking about checking my thermostat too due to a very active water temp gage.

I take it that it is not all that easily acessable?
Rear of the engine , above the clutch cover. Remove tupperware, starter and alternator.

Whatever else gets in the way , remove that, take the hoses loose and unbolt. Thermostat in the top of the pump housing.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Rear of the engine , above the clutch cover. Remove tupperware, starter and alternator.

Whatever else gets in the way , remove that, take the hoses loose and unbolt. Thermostat in the top of the pump housing.

Glad they made it easy to get at.

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
It's right there under the gas tank.You don't have to touch the Alt/starter,because it's in between them.:thumbup:

3--3 1/2 hour job if you don't stare at it to long.:yes1:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for your comments. As always, it is most appreciated.:bow:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Do you think the thermostat is bad? Stuck shut or stuck open? Do not hear of to many defective ones!
From Ask.com:
Modern coolants last a long time. I would however drain and replace the coolant every 5 years. Be sure and create a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water. Do not use tap water.
Comment is for cages, Motorcycles:?:
Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_does_antifreeze_last#ixzz1Rnupxw6W

2012-2003= 9:eek:4:

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's right there under the gas tank.You don't have to touch the Alt/starter,because it's in between them.:thumbup:

3--3 1/2 hour job if you don't stare at it to long.:yes1:
Whenever I do a job I haven't done before, I always stare at it for a long time, to see what I really need to remove to get to it. You just saved me a good 2 or 3 hours of staring!! :roll:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Whenever I do a job I haven't done before, I always stare at it for a long time, to see what I really need to remove to get to it. You just saved me a good 2 or 3 hours of staring!! :roll:
Gary.A digital camera is your friend.Take tons of pictures and dive in.Label/mark parts/bolts as they come off with masking tape/marker, and if in doubt on reassembly.up load the camera pictures and have a look.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Gary.A digital camera is your friend.Take tons of pictures and dive in.Label/mark parts/bolts as they come off with masking tape/marker, and if in doubt on reassembly.up load the camera pictures and have a look.:thumbup:
I totally agree. I use mini Ziploc bags and label all small parts as to there location. My friends call me anal, but I don't' loose stuff

·
Registered
581 Posts
Excellent advice, which I have done many times. The last time I felt I needed photos was when I removed the forks and top bridge. I took a whole bunch of photos. I got a bad angle on the right side and couldn't remember how that "J" shaped cable hook went. Took me at least 3 tries and a good 1 1/2 hours to finally get it right.....not only take pics, but take good ones!!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you think the thermostat is bad? Stuck shut or stuck open? Do not hear of to many defective ones!
From Ask.com:
Modern coolants last a long time. I would however drain and replace the coolant every 5 years. Be sure and create a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water. Do not use tap water.
Comment is for cages, Motorcycles:?:
Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_does_antifreeze_last#ixzz1Rnupxw6W

2012-2003= 9:eek:4:

Here is the deal. Riding on highway, no problem. Riding in stop & go city driving during hot weather, gets hot but doesn't boil over. Riding through the Smokey's on twisty roads pulling a Bunkhouse with traffic moving at around 20 mph, above the red line, boiled over his coolent. There were 2 other trikes taking the same roads but 1 was a 1500 and the other was a '08' model neither of which experienced any heating issues. I should mention he has been having heating issues when under extreme heat under load off and on in the past couple of years. He purchased a bypass switch to cycle the fans on demand as a way to reduce frequency but this doesn't seem to help. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thermostate guage

My temperature gauge is barely moving off C but want go pass that but trike is not over heating and fans do come on when stopped at red light or traffic so it's not over heating . We don't know if is a bad gauge or the thermostat is stuck open? Can you help?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,480 Posts
My temperature gauge is barely moving off C but want go pass that but trike is not over heating and fans do come on when stopped at red light or traffic so it's not over heating . We don't know if is a bad gauge or the thermostat is stuck open? Can you help?
If it's cycling the fans correctly, then it could be the gauge, the wiring for the gauge, or the sending unit(ECT sensor). Do you have a service manual? You will need one. There are tests for the ECT sensor as well as the gauge, but they require a bit of disassembly to perform. The sensor is located in the left head buried and hidden by the left radiator.

·
Registered
17,047 Posts
Welcome to the fire, Faye!

Most GL1800 temp gauges have a sweet spot just above the mark beneath the middle marker. The gauge or the input electronics are rigged by Honda to hold that position over a fairly wide range of temps so that we nervous Nelly wingers don't fret too much. Now, if you thermostat has failed in the safe position (open) the bike will take longer to warm-up, but not a great deal longer given common riding weather and it will hit that same plateau on the gauge. It will run rich a little longer than it should and at cool weather modest cruise speeds it may lose some heat. If you have an infrared thermometer you can ride with a fellow GL1800 rider at same speeds and conditions and compare readings on the head inlet pipe at right side above dip stick. It is chrome or stainless, so a spot of flat black water color paint will make temperature sensing easier.

prs

·
Registered
17,047 Posts
TD fast on draw!

lol

prs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts