GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone devised a method to lock the left side pocket cover? I have an '07 airbag model and the airbag design eliminated the right side locking storage pocket. But in Honda's infinite wisdom, they did nothing about providing an up-front locking pocket for the left side.
Now I'm looking at the new 2012 and they seem to have decided to build the shelter that completely eliminates the right pocket on all models and still no hint of a locking left hand pocket cover. A locking pocket cover on the left hand side would be a nice option.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I think that I could come up with something but it would probably be ugly. Maybe a brass hasp that would cover the push button and locked with a small combination luggage lock.

Another option may be a cylinder lock (like on a tool chest) where the blade would swing into place in the locked position below the button inside the pocket and prevent the button from being depressed.

Just a couple quick thoughts.

Jeff..

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Be easy to do.
Use a simple cabinet or drawer lock, drill a hole and mount that in the top door, put a little paint or something on the swing blade of the lock, move it till it hits the inside of the pocket box, that will mark where. Now just cut a slot where need be for the blade to pass into the side box. For more strength cut a slot in a flat piece of metal, drill a couple holes in that and place that with screws over the slot, just like a door plate.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Be easy to do.
Use a simple cabinet or drawer lock, drill a hole and mount that in the top door, put a little paint or something on the swing blade of the lock, move it till it hits the inside of the pocket box, that will mark where. Now just cut a slot where need be for the blade to pass into the side box. For more strength cut a slot in a flat piece of metal, drill a couple holes in that and place that with screws over the slot, just like a door plate.
I agree. Yo can find verything you need at most any hardware store too.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Be easy to do.
DITTO....that's what I had in mind also!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Honda

Be careful about what you say about Honda (Engineering)!

Some on this board drink the koolaid and believe the Honda Engineers are beyond approach with respects to their designs.

I agree that it would have been simple to install a locking mechanism on the left pocket. How hard could this have been??

:popcorn:

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
It probably wouldn't be that hard to convert one of the cabinet type locks with the flat bar that swings around 90 deg. If I put one on mine I would just have to buy another knob and make a key knob like I have on my gas cover and right pocket.:lol:

I leave them in all the time except at a motel at night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts