GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the owners manual and i still dont get it. Why do my bags lock and unlock for no apparant reason. I unlock the bike with the remote and 5 min later with me never leaving the bikes side, the trunk and bags lock. or i'll hit the unlock inside the house and go get something in the trunk and after i open i and then shut it, it clicks and locks with the keys still in the house, am i just not getting it or is their something wrong??

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you want it to stay unlocked until you lock it use the key. Read your manual. The bags auto lock when using the remote under certain conditions.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Yeah, it's in the manual. If you use the remote to unlock the bags and don't open them within 30 seconds or a minute (I forget) they lock again. Maybe it assumes you bump the remote in your pocket and don't really mean to unlock it. I know that drove me nuts because I'd hit the remote from inside and then grab stuff to head out. By the time I got to the bike I'd have to dig out the remote to unlock it again.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
yellowtrike said:
This feature has me so paranoid that I have a key clipped to my belt loop when away from home....
I suggest, as others have to me, to always on every vehicle you own, have a key hidden in case you lose or lock your keys in the trunk. Some tape a key into their boot, or wire or tape a key to some part of the bike or car. This is a safety feature for you and your loved ones. You do not want to get trapped some uncomfortable place with no way to use your vehicle. JMHO

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
It is very easy. It depends on which button you press. if you just press the unlock button and open the trunk manually, the auto lock won't engage. if you use the trunk open button, that is when auto lock engages.

If you don't want the auto lock to engage, don't use the trunk button.

If you aren't afraid of modifying the bike's wiring, the auto lock function can be defeated.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
If all else fails... read your manual...

cosmic
I suppose you stop and ask for directions too! :roll:

You are now on probation - don't let us catch you suggeting this again

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
It's no different than my Acura. If I unlock it and don't open the door for a specific amount of time, it locks up again. No big deal, I just live with it. In fact, I think that it's a great feature in case you accidentally hit the unlock botton. Of course we all know who makes Acuras, don't we?

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Sid Moen said:
There's a remote lock? :shock:
It is programable... the step right before enabling the remote start... :lol:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Italian Stallion said:
It's no different than my Acura. If I unlock it and don't open the door for a specific amount of time, it locks up again.
Yea, my wife has a Civic and it drives me nuts.. Honda has a few stupid ideas that they force on you.. The auto lock is rediculous and there should be a way to disable it if you don't want it.. They also don't have "automatic headlights" why do I have to turn headlights on and off?? Most other cars Ive owned in the past ten years or so have headlights that will turn on and off with the ignition!! Honda's have daytime running lights like all others, why not turn the headlights on and off if you have the switch in the ON position??

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
Pirate comes a'shore with a big ship's steering wheel sticking up out of his trousers. First land-lubber he meets asks; "What is that?" Pirate sez; " I don't know, but its driv'n me nuts; ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

After Arnbut Bill explained how to program the remote start, I also discovered the remote locking system. I prefer a key myself, but on those cold mornings the remote starter could be handy.

prs

·
Registered
133 Posts
Leave the remote in the envelope that you keep your bike papers in at home like I did. Some things are better kept simple. Riding a motorcycle with a key seems to me to be the traditional and simplest way.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I fight change to a certain degree. I like things, (most things) the way they have always been. I will agree the ongoing technology advances in Motorcycles has been positive, but just give me a key.. and a spare.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There's a remote lock?

It is programable... the step right before enabling the remote start...

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
If all else fails... read your manual...

cosmic
Whats a manual? You mean something was included that I did not get? Or was that the info they gave you when you purchase something and you usually trash it or set it on a shelf when you get home.

Use the key and the remote lock will not work until you remote it again, I think.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Ispedbyu said:
Leave the remote in the envelope that you keep your bike papers in at home like I did. Some things are better kept simple. Riding a motorcycle with a key seems to me to be the traditional and simplest way.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I fight change to a certain degree. I like things, (most things) the way they have always been. I will agree the ongoing technology advances in Motorcycles has been positive, but just give me a key.. and a spare.
Yep, you are definitely in the minority. :lol: Goldwing owners for the most part are into high tech. That's why they own a Goldwing.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I think I pretty well covered this in an earlier thread......

I think it's pretty common knowledge now days
that Honda built the remote start feature into all the GL1800s.
What isn't so well known, however, is the reason Honda decided
to not publish that this feature is available.
It seems that the Remote start feature works both ways.
Once enabled, it can be used to "start" the bike
and it can be used to "Shut the bike down".
This in itself was not a problem, but, it seems that when the feature
is enabled on any color 1800, it then works on all the bikes of that color.

Knowing the competitive nature of GL1800 riders,
Honda quickly determined that some riders would
utilize this feature to shut off other 1800's that were,
so to speak, "leaving them in the dust" in an effort to
avoid the embarrassment of being last to arrive at the next stop.

I have hesitated to divulge this sensitive information,
as once it becomes well known among the 1800 crowd,
there will be no acceptable option other than for everyone to disable the
remote start (stop) feature to prevent inadvertent shutting down
of their rides at inopportune times.

This has been a public announcement of information concerning potential safety issues
arising from inappropriate use of possible non-published functions of the GL1800.
The provider of this information disavows any knowledge as to the accuracy of these rumors
and specifically with regards to the tapeworm flattening out and going down the scronchy tube.
The provider further emphatically denies that any of this sensitive information was obtained
from hallucinations while under the influence of smoking dried out warty dill pickles.

No Harley Davidson's were harmed in obtaining this information.
DC

·
Registered
589 Posts
And people want airbags :!: on the GL1800. Most can't master key fobs

1 - 20 of 28 Posts