GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Vendor
22,260 Posts
Its been my general experience that when I loose something and then imediatly think someone stole it, it almost always turns out that I either misplaced it, dropped it, or lost it in some fashion. It's also been my experience that people don't go around stealing one glove.

·
Administrator
4,001 Posts
One year I went to Louisiana district rally and I pop of the Garmin 590 laid it on the seat never put it in the saddle bag, it sit on the seat from 9:30 AM till about 4:30 PM when I got back to the it was still on the seat waiting to be put up I thank God for that.
I see that you do the same thing I do when stopped. I take my Zumo 595 and my Spot tracker out of their mounts when I leave the bike unattended in public. It bugs me that I have to do that, but the extra 30 seconds buys me peace of mind.

Glen

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I do the same as GlockJock. An ounce of prevention .... 👍

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
I caught the culprit in the act......a freaking tree rat aka (Squirrel) took one of my gloves from the seat. Go figure oh well life moves on....I always put like items in the tour box now.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I feel Spummerr's pain but it makes little sense for a "thief" to only take one glove. I'm more inclined to buy the squirrel story or something equally unbelievable before believing a dishonest human would leave one glove behind.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I once caught two 13 year olds about to open the pouch on my backrest. Their eyes got real big when I walked around the corner and they quickly walked away. Trust no stranger and never leave anything unsecured on your bike that you care about.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Also, it appears you edited your original post in which I thought you said you left your gloves by your keys or something like that. Correct me if I’m wrong, please, ‘cause then I’ll know I’m losing it more than I already know I’m losing it! LOL.
Read post #5 where the OP was quoted.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nope! Wasn't him. Claims he was at the park sniffing heinies and looking for lost tennis balls. Seemed sincere, I trust him.

But on the real subject, I am a bit too paranoid to leave my kit on the bike when I'm not within shouting distance or out of sight. I often see jackets and helmets tossed over handlebars or on back rests and not a soul in sight. I envy their trust and security, and maybe their bank accounts, as I can't be buying/replacing gear all the time. FYI, the comment about the velcro hits home as that has actually happened to me. I spun circles in a parking lot like a fool until a nice lady asked me what I had lost. Then she pointed to my waistband at the glove dangling down.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I leave my helmet on the bike at gas stations. Stealing someone’s helmet just seems like stealing underwear. My head’s been in there for 10s of thousands of miles in all sorts of climates. Just seems icky that someone would steal it to use it. I do pull my Sena off and lock that up though.

·
Love The DCT
12,305 Posts
I leave my helmet on the bike at gas stations. Stealing someone’s helmet just seems like stealing underwear. My head’s been in there for 10s of thousands of miles in all sorts of climates. Just seems icky that someone would steal it to use it. I do pull my Sena off and lock that up though.
It is icky that someone would steal your helmet after your head's been in there for 10's of thousands of miles. However, that is not a deterrent. A fair amount of helmets nowadays have removable liners. All a thief has to do is remove your smelly liner and replace it with a new one. There is no way I'm leaving my Bell Race Star Pro helmet on the bike seat or hanging from the handlebars for someone to "five finger discount" it.

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
I had a helmet that was locked up on the hangers under the trunk and some moron (you can insert nastier word) cut the strap and stole the helmet. :mad: Luckily this was many yrs ago and all they got was a cheap helmet. Since that happened it follows me around wherever I go.

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
45 Posts
I once read about a guy who had his helmet hanging on the lock on the rear & someone mistook it for a urinal. Probably at a bar.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As an experiment, I clipped a $5 bill to the dash of my GL1800 and left it there, in plain sight, to see when and where it would disappear. It never did. That $5 stayed there for at least ten years, through four different motorcycles, 49 states and close to 200,000 miles. Needless to say, I have never lost anything else off my bikes. Just lucky, I guess.

Obviously the state you didn't visit was California...

21 - 40 of 49 Posts