GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I leave my helmet on the bike at gas stations. Stealing someone’s helmet just seems like stealing underwear. My head’s been in there for 10s of thousands of miles in all sorts of climates. Just seems icky that someone would steal it to use it. I do pull my Sena off and lock that up though.
Unfortunately, the tweekers don't put that much thought into it. A lot of the nice riding country around here is peppered with folks living on the edge -- poverty +/- opioids. Anything that looks like it might pawn for a few bucks is at risk of a snatch & go. Not from 98%+ of the folks, but ~2% is enough for me to not play the odds. That's even before considering the folks that make a habit out of lifting bikes from hotels, etc.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Its been my general experience that when I loose something and then imediatly think someone stole it, it almost always turns out that I either misplaced it, dropped it, or lost it in some fashion. It's also been my experience that people don't go around stealing one glove.
Years ago when I worked in a retail big box store, the security team caught a guy with one leg stealing one shoe from the display rack. True story 😀

·
Registered
2002 GL1800ABS Illusion Red, 1999 CBR1100XX Super Blackbird.
220 Posts
Went inside for a few minutes in a small town gas/store. 2-3 people in the lot. Put my gloves by the ignition switch like I always do when leaving the bike for a minute or two..
Came out and only had one Glove! :mad: Some jerk just took one glove to be a jerk I guess
First time I've had anything stolen. Looked on the ground to. Live & learn I guess
Locking up isn't always enough to deter the thieves among us. Back in the seventies I locked my helmet up on the bike and when I returned some idiot had cut the straps and made off with the lid. What do you think the chances are the jerk actually repaired the damage and used it?....Nil...not to mention it probably didn't fit his pin head. Beware, they are among us.

Reactions: CAWing

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,723 Posts
Locking up isn't always enough to deter the thieves among us. Back in the seventies I locked my helmet up on the bike and when I returned some idiot had cut the straps and made off with the lid. What do you think the chances are the jerk actually repaired the damage and used it?....Nil...not to mention it probably didn't fit his pin head. Beware, they are among us.
And they keep multiplying! :mad::oops:

·
Registered
2002 GL1800ABS Illusion Red, 1999 CBR1100XX Super Blackbird.
220 Posts
And they keep multiplying! :mad::oops:
Unfortunately, and sadly, TRUE!

It makes it so imperative to focus on the good ones out there eschewing the others.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm a retired police sergeant from an urban environment. With one missing glove I would rank the possibilities as,
1. Windblown off
2. Velcro related
3. Animal related
In that order. Human ******* related would be quite far down the list. I've been riding 55 years and have long ago lost count of the number of gloves I've chased down. Mine, riding buddies and strangers inside restaurants. A calm day doesn't matter either. A truck driving by is enough wind to do the job.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I leave my helmet on the bike at gas stations. Stealing someone’s helmet just seems like stealing underwear. My head’s been in there for 10s of thousands of miles in all sorts of climates. Just seems icky that someone would steal it to use it. I do pull my Sena off and lock that up though.
I put my Sena in my shirt pocket.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Went inside for a few minutes in a small town gas/store. 2-3 people in the lot. Put my gloves by the ignition switch like I always do when leaving the bike for a minute or two..
Came out and only had one Glove! :mad: Some jerk just took one glove to be a jerk I guess
First time I've had anything stolen. Looked on the ground to. Live & learn I guess
I took countered this issue. In my case the thief left my clovebox open when they left. I was beyond pissed.
I considered several options, but after due consideration decided that I needed a lock for the clove box to prevent sticky fingers.
I do design work and prototypes, so I went to work.
After a dozen failures I finally arrived at the right solution. I now have an attractive and tough lock for my 2018 wing. No problems since, and it has proven to be a very nice addition to the bike, that Honda overlooked.
If you want one let me know.
Perry45

41 - 49 of 49 Posts