GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The compartment on the right side of the fairing of my 2005 GL1800A (the one that opens with the key) will not open... the key turns but the latch does not release the door. Tried prying - carefully - in hopes it was on the "edge" of opening but would not turn loose & open.

Anyone ever had this problem before and how did you get it open to make repairs?

Surely would appreciate some help.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I removed the panel that the key inserts into and performed proctology with a flashlight and a stiff rod, in my case the cable was not seated firmly into the holder :oops: at the pocket and it was merely a case of aiding the cable from moving while I operated the lock.

If no one posts a picture or a URL by this evening of the mechanism, I'll see what I can do.

Edit: As promised ... hope this helps you with your proctology

You can also reach the mechanism by lifting the upper fairing after the strip is removed and the fairing is unbolted from the right side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the same problem yesterday! Fixed it today. Like the previous post says, take off the strip of trim and the panel holding the unlock cylinder will pop out. On mine the cable housing had detached from the clip on the side of the box - so all I had to do was turn the key and pull on the cable housing and it popped open. Good luck!

Jack Roberts

1 - 3 of 3 Posts