GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just released from Traxxion Dynamics a new glovebox lock.

:smile2:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I take my phone every time I leave the bike and nothing much else stays in there.
Same here. While I don't need a lock for that compartment, I might have considered a flush mounted lock option but I will pass on that one.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
I have walked away too many times with my Iphone left in the unsecured cubby.....oh my been fortunate so far. Now I will have some peace of mind (TMB=to many birthdays-forgetful). Now I just have to remember to lock it:22yikes: Ordered mine this evening.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Now you have a place to keep your spare fob that is turned off. Then when you lose your current fob and key for the center cubby, all you have to do is find the spare key you’ve hidden somewhere else on the bike. Now if I can just remember where I hid that key. >:)

Still easier than the 12 step process for the emergency start procedure.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The big question is . . . WHY?? There is absolutely nothing stored in there worth taking? My iPhone comes out EVERY time I leave the bike! Plus, with the wheel turned & locked, my cup holder will not allow the door to open enough to get inside it! If it’s now locked, the thief will think there IS something in there & pry the sh*t out of it with a screwdriver! For me, it’s ugly & a waste of money! JMHO

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Keeps out the casual thief........otherwise a 50 cent screwdriver would pop that cover open in a heartbeat, if the thief really wants access.

A thief doesn't care about your paint or a broken piece of plastic...... :wink2:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Agree with the concept of protecting against the casual thief only.

Almost any "typical" lock is there to prevent casual thefts of opportunity. Just search youtube for how easy almost any lock can be defeated by someone that knows how and with very few, if any, tools that are not easily available. This includes automobiles and homes. A house may have the most enforced and barred doors available, but if there is an unbarred window or sliding glass patio doors in the back, a fist sized rock or jacket covered elbow is all that stands between immediate entry if the intruder isn't worried about creating a disturbance, possibly alerting someone waiting inside or fearful of exception to the 10-30 minutes of response delay after an alarm might be triggered.

Ultimately, "most" locks ARE only to provide an obstacle to "casual" thefts (those that will "try" something if they believe no one is looking to see if they can simply open it, snatch it or simply grab it and run). Locks, of course, provide significantly less protection against those willing to cause damage and possibly call attention to themselves. Locking your car will do nothing to stop the guy willing to bust out the window and possibly initiate a car alarm to rifle through a center console or glove box and take off running. Even considering that, once a thief is willing to pry with a screwdriver, many more security items can be relatively easily defeated (if not the lock, then the actual enclosure itself).

The non-casual or "professional" thieves already have or know of a way to defeat almost any type of theft prevention that they will likely encounter. Most "average folk" are spared from being targeted by those more capable thieves most likely due their not wasting their time on "guessing" if something may be valuable enough to be worth the risk on a random target.

The positive is, that unless there IS something targeted by the pros, many thefts ARE simply probes of opportunity. Recently a group of teen thieves in one town were being dropped off at night into mostly middle-class neighborhoods, then running from home to home and trying the doors of any vehicles left in the driveway. If any car door did not open immediately, they ran to the next and only tried to grab anything they could quickly find once a door opened for them and stuff it into a bag. They would then be retrieved by the "driver" at the end of the targeted neighborhood and drive off with any spoils. It was amazing what the news reported as the value and types of many items that were reported stolen. They were finally captured after multiple weeks via security videos and other evidence, but they got away with it for weeks and weren't willing to stop while they were ahead.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I ordered one.

I'll my house keys there, maybe the rest of my wallet (if I'm just taking an ID and a credit card). Maybe it will also fix the "sticking" button that I'm getting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
10 more years and you'll forget you have a compartment.

25 more years and you'll forget where you parked the bike anyway. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
19,253 Posts
It is not for me. I would consider if the lock were flush otherwise it ruins the clean lines

1 - 20 of 49 Posts