GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I replaced the front brake pads on my 2016 Wing yesterday and I didn't put Locktite on the brake caliper mounting bolts.

Should I pull the bolts out and put on Locktite or just leave it alone?

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
IMO, leave it alone if you're sure you got them tight.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Those bolts have loctite from the factory.
Service manual suggests to replace the bolts every time they are loosened.
I think that's precautionary to avoid stretching the bolts if they've been overtightened.
I reuse my bolts, torqued to service manual specs, with loctite blue reapplied on reinstallation.
I would sure hate for my calipers to come loose when I need them. :eek:4:

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I used to use blue lock-tight on caliper bolts but quit a couple hundred thousand miles ago, it is a good idea to use it for safety, between cleaning off the old stuff and applying the new it’s probably only an extra 15 minutes.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I hate loctite, all it does is make future removal more difficult. Caliper bolts will never come loose if torqued correctly. You sure don't want one to come loose, so for an extra measure of safety they may recommend using loctite just in case the bolt is not tightened to spec(dealer service). If you do your own, and tighten bolts, they won't come off, and the stretching crap, recommending bolts replaced every time is just another safety measure in case of incorrect torquing.
There are places for loctite, not many though.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I hate loctite, all it does is make future removal more difficult. Caliper bolts will never come loose if torqued correctly. You sure don't want one to come loose, so for an extra measure of safety they may recommend using loctite just in case the bolt is not tightened to spec(dealer service). If you do your own, and tighten bolts, they won't come off, and the stretching crap, recommending bolts replaced every time is just another safety measure in case of incorrect torquing.
There are places for loctite, not many though.
Mine backed out 400 miles after a dealer service. I think they forgot to tighten it. Scratched my rim because the rim prevented it from falling out. I started hearing a clicking sound and did not figure out what it was til I saw the gouge on the rim. The bolt would back out and hit the rim and then fall back into the hole a little.
The bolts are hardened and come from the factory with blue loctite. It does not make them very difficult to remove.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Mine backed out 400 miles after a dealer service. I think they forgot to tighten it. Scratched my rim because the rim prevented it from falling out. I started hearing a clicking sound and did not figure out what it was til I saw the gouge on the rim. The bolt would back out and hit the rim and then fall back into the hole a little.
The bolts are hardened and come from the factory with blue loctite. It does not make them very difficult to remove.
Did the dealer's mechanic use new bolts with locktite applied and torque to Honda's specifications??? When the DIYs here do their own brake (and other) work they know what parts were used and how it was done and who to blame when something goes wrong.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Definitely use Blue Loctite. A local Honda dealer did some warranty work and the Honda brake recall on my bike. the dealer also replaced the pads (my expense) since they were worn. I had a caliper come loose while on a trip leaving me stranded on the interstate for awhile. I do not know if the dealer used Loctite.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Those bolts have loctite from the factory.
Service manual suggests to replace the bolts every time they are loosened.
I think that's precautionary to avoid stretching the bolts if they've been overtightened.
I reuse my bolts, torqued to service manual specs, with loctite blue reapplied on reinstallation.
I would sure hate for my calipers to come loose when I need them. :eek:4:
Excellent reply and so true . Why take a chance? I may add to remove bolts after you blue loctite use a heat gun or blow dryer to soften loctite to remove and not damage any treads .

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Did the dealer's mechanic use new bolts with locktite applied and torque to Honda's specifications??? When the DIYs here do their own brake (and other) work they know what parts were used and how it was done and who to blame when something goes wrong.
I believe that if they had done it correctly it would not have backed out. I don't think it was even tightened. BTW, this dealer has a very good service department and I have had good service from them for years. I just think somebody screwed up.

..it happens, even when it should not.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I believe that if they had done it correctly it would not have backed out. I don't think it was even tightened. BTW, this dealer has a very good service department and I have had good service from them for years. I just think somebody screwed up.

..it happens, even when it should not.
Short term memory impairment is a symptom of marijuana use. Sounds like that dealer may want to consider random drug screening of the employees. Marijuana may be legal in California, but nobody has to hire folks who have it in their system. Even the cheap Walgreen test kits will pick up THC 28-30 days after last use. Just saying.

As for the OT, I use blue Locktight on brake caliper bolts. It's easy to break the blue free when it comes time to remove the bolt, but will not allow them to, "walk out" on their own due to vibration, etc.. I'd never use red Locktight on that application though, as it is much stronger than blue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts