GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
anybody ever use one of these!!!
lonerider moto tent
I have not. I have a popular REI tent for camping (2 person but I go solo). My reaction to the lone rider is it looks cozy but impractical to me. If I have to be up doing stuff on the bike or getting into the bags or trunk, I'd rather it have open space around it; I can always cover it before turning. Some parks would prohibit you from having your bike in the tent pad, and who would want to pitch their tent on the campsite driveway. And at $570...

Reactions: Hoopdc and 1st Sgt

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have seen similar to those several times at BMW rallies. People seemed to like them. They pack pretty big. Redverz is the one I have seen.

Mostly it seemed they use the garage part to have a weather proof place to sit. Personally, my bike can sit in the rain.

If you are going to park your bike that close to your sleeping area, make sure it leans away from you. Can you imagine a wing side stand sinking into the ground and landing on a sleeper.

·
Registered
867 Posts
anybody ever use one of these!!!
lonerider moto tent
To each, his own. A bit much for me. Like "drair' said, a bit impractical for the reasons he stated as far as I can see. I also travel with a two man tent so I can stretch out and have enough room in there to move my stuff ( boots, magazines, whatever.... ) around AND me.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Several decades ago, I moonlighted as a bouncer in a biker bar in Syracuse, and it was not uncommon for 20-50 bikes to be lined up out front. Back then Harley theft was a major problem, so it was ritualistic for riders/patrons to frequently go to the door to insure their Harley was still there. My best old friend from back then is now security chief for a New England chain of bars frequented by bikers, and tells me Harley theft is not the problem it once was. I got away from that problem long ago when I bought a BMW, since it was almost unheard of for anything other than Harley to be stolen.

This tent may have been a major seller back then, especially for Harley riders. But I doubt it will become popular in today's times.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Harleys were easy to steal when they had that stupid ignition key system. Unlock the big switch with the barrel key and put the key in your pocket. Anybody could walk up to your bike, turn the knob and ride away. Now they most all have that proximity key fob

Back to the topic. Looks like a cool tent. Most appealing is stand up height. Wife and I like to camp on the wing. We pull a Unigo to carry the gear.

We have been using a Eureka 3 person backpacking tent. Works great for sleeping. What we don't like is have to get dressed laying down and having to crawl out onto the ground in the morning.

We have a 6 person REI dome that is good for car camping. Way to heavy and bulky for the bike.

What I think we would like to find is a 4 person tent we can stand up in that still packs reasonably small and light.
The garage of the lone rider is not that appealing to us.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i like the garage front for sitting, don't care to have the bike that close to me while i sleep, i'm planning a trip to Alaska from Georgia in 2021 so am looking at options out there. thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts