GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making my way down to Texas for a Vacation (ride) Starting in Denton,and that area Looking at possibly moving down there. ... Anyway where are some things to see in texas? I have 10 days off, 2 days there and 2 back. Thanks in advance!:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Texas isn't just one state, different parts have totally different cultures although they all share a base line barking at the moon crazy. A good example will be just down the road from Denton, Fort Worth is a old line West Texas cowtown, move less than an hour east to Dallas and you are in LA Central. A little farther southwest and you are in the Baptist Vatican but that is good news, you are almost to BBQ heaven. Hit Luling and Lockhart for BBQ, then a little west for one of the Alternate music and club centers of the States. In Austin hear some great music at night, go skinny dipping at Hippy Hollow during the day. On west of Austin is the German part of the state, with great riding and music/beer joints like in Luckenbach. The Hill Country has the Twisted Sisters and Lost Maples. On the edge of the Hill Country is San Antonio, sacred ground to Texans, it has some pretty good Mexican food. On South is the Valley and South Padre Island, and far to the east is East Texas with its Cajun influence.

It's a whole other country. Good luck, wish I could join you.

·
Administrator
3,844 Posts
Just 10 days to see Texas will be like the blind man who tried to describe an elephant after touching just its' tail! It is 880 miles across Texas east to west, and about the same north to south.

You're coming in on the northeast quadrant. Lots of trees and forests. Ride far enough south to Galveston and you'll start seeing the Texas Gulf Coast. We have a lot of refineries and petrochemical plants down this way too. Smells like money.

Lots of people think Texas is flat and covered with cotton and oil fields. If you want to see that (and I really do enjoy seeing that myself) head to the Panhandle. While in the Panhandle, drop by Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo. It is not the Grand Canyon, but it is still impressive. By the way, the eastern Panhandle has hills and canyons and ranches, while the western panhandle has the flat farm land. I enjoy them both.

Other people think Texas is all like the West Texas areas beginning east of Midland/Odessa. Lots of sagebrush, mesquite, and prairie. The Kermit Sandhills are worth seeing if you're in the area. When you get West of Abilene on I-20 you'll start seeing huge wind farms. It's an amazing sight if you haven't seen them before.

A little bit south and you're in the Hill Country. From roughly Austin to San Antonio to Kerrville to San Angelo (generally speaking) is one of my favorite places to ride.

The Big Bend area is desolate, lonely, and wonderful. DO NOT MISS the Big Bend area. The canyons are awesome!! Visit the Ghost Town of Terlingua, now the home of the world famous Terlingua Chili Cookoff. A little north of the Big Bend are the Davis Mountains, Marfa (the Marfa Lights), and Alpine. I enjoyed visiting the observatory in the Davis Mountains.

I like riding through those desolate areas in far West Texas. Visit the Judge Roy Bean museum. He was The Law West of the Pecos.

Never spent much time in South Texas, except enjoying the scenery on a couple of Rides Around Texas. I do know that Texas beaches start getting real pretty and water nice and clear starting in Corpus Christi on down to South Padre Island.

If you have time go to San Antonio to visit the Alamo (take your hat off and speak in reverent tones) and the River Walk. Ride the Three Sisters near Bandera and Kerrville. (That area alone is worth the trip to Texas) Go to the OST in Bandera at 7:00 AM on Sundays and have breakfast with Tom Finch and friends. No trip to Texas is complete without riding the Big Bend, the River Road at Big Bend (Highwa 170 from Lajitas to Presidio), and the Three Sisters.

While in the Big Bend or the Davis Mountains look up to the sky on a dark night. This will be the first time you've ever truly seen the night sky. You can see Heaven from there.

Eat the worlds best commercial BBQ in Lockhart and Luling at the City Market, Blacks, Smitty's and Krietz Meat Market. It's the best in Texas except for what I cook in my backyard.

There's a lot more, and I know I've just touched the surface of the things you'll want to see, but this will get you started.

Glen

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Best thing to see is the welcome to Texas sign at the border in your rear view mirror. It was hot as hell there this week....I went out for smoke at the Dallas airport passing thru, and about choked on the heat...and I live in Florida........ :shock:

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Just 10 days to see Texas will be like the blind man who tried to describe an elephant after touching just its' tail! It is 880 miles across Texas east to west, and about the same north to south.
Glen
Glen,

Your description reminded me I still need to do a RAT. I would need to start in Anthony and plan on Big Bend at sunup. Too late for this year, may be my June ride next year. Damn I miss Texas.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I almost forgot, no trip to Fort Worth is complete with out a visit to the Cattleman's Steak House http://www.cattlemenssteakhouse.com/. I was still in short pants on my first visit, doubt it has changed since the first time. I still order the "Rose of Texas" tenderloin, onion rings and fries. Hell now you have done it....I feel a RTE in the making.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Best thing to see is the welcome to Texas sign at the border in your rear view mirror. It was hot as hell there this week....I went out for smoke at the Dallas airport passing thru, and about choked on the heat...and I live in Florida........ :shock:
Wuss

:)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Making my way down to Texas for a Vacation (ride) Starting in Denton,and that area Looking at possibly moving down there. ... Anyway where are some things to see in texas? I have 10 days off, 2 days there and 2 back. Thanks in advance!:thumbup:
Hey Kevin
When do you plan to be here? Do you have dates set?
JR

·
Registered
484 Posts
What's the best thing to see in Texas? Texas. Too many things to see and do. Best just to pull out a map of Texas, throw a dart at the map and go there. You won't be disappointed. There is something there for every taste, both scenery and food. Big Bend, Hill Country, East Texas Piney Woods, West Texas plains, Palo Duro Canyon, South Padre Island, Ft. Worth, Galveston, Fredericksburg, Tyler, Austin, Amarillo, etc., etc. You could easily spend your 6 days in any of those areas. Just pick your poison and go. Read some of the threads on the Texas sub-board for more ideas, or more information on a particular area of interest. I sure miss that place!

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you've never been to Texas the map might surprise you. I met an Ohio fellow a number of years ago who was a factory rep and making calls in Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio. Being accustomed to the distances represented on an Ohio map, he thought he could make all three calls in one day, and was hard pressed to accept that we weren't pulling his leg about how long it would take him to drive between those cities.
El Paso is far west Texas, Longview is near the eastern border. When in El Paso you are closer to San Diego than to Longview. If you folded Texas to the west at El Paso, Longview would be in the Pacific ocean. If you folded Texas east at Longview, El Paso would be in the Atlantic ocean.
The point is, with six days with which to work you'll have to prioritize and pick, the distances are too great to do even 20% of the things listed in the above posts.
From a Denton starting point, you might do something like head west on I20 to Highway 16 and turn north 4 miles to Mary's Cafe for lunch. Then head south on 16 for Fredericksburg, (German food) Kerrville, and west to Medina for the east end of RR (Ranch Road) 337, the best of the 3 sisters (ranch roads 335, 336, and 337). About a day and a half of non-stop riding will pretty well cover that part of the Hill Country, then make your way to San Antonio for the River Walk and Alamo. Then Luling and Lockhart for BBQ, and back northwest to Hwy. 281 north. I would avoid Austin simply due to the traffic, which is a shame because it's a great party and music town, and the State Capitol building is an interesting stop. Stop in Marble Falls at the Bluebonnet Cafe for homecooking or if between meals at least a piece of pie. Make your way back to Fort Worth to the Stockyards, Cattleman's, and maybe Joe T. Garcia's (just south of the Stockyards) or La Familia (just west of downtown and south of west 7th street) for Mexican food. East to Arlington to see Ranger and Cowboy Stadiums. Back to Denton hopefully with time to ride 455 from Hwy. 75 west to Montague and back (going through Tioga there's pretty good BBQ at Clark's Outpost on 377). Or out of Montague you might want to take 59 to Saint Jo, 677 north to 373 and ride back through the wind generator fields to Muenster (more German food).
Something like that will pretty well take up your 6 days, and you won't have gotten within hundreds of miles of other great Texas destinations like Palo Duro (ride 207 if you choose to go to the Panhandle), the coast (Padre Island, Corpus Christi where you can tour the Lexington and the State Aquarium, and Big Bend and the River Road (which would take up your 6 days, and it's absolutely the wrong time of year to be there due to the heat).
This got a lot longer than I intended, I hope it provided some food for thought. Enjoy the great State of Texas and please give us a ride report after the trip.

·
Registered
19,376 Posts
I grew up in DFW. For me the riding is better west/south of Austin and San Antonio. Nice descriptives in the above posts. Not much around Denton(prove me wrong)

I like FtWorth culture better than Dallas. Like Houston area better than DFW

Check out a Ranger game and the new Cowboy stadium. Check out while in FtWorth-the Stockyards, Billy Bobs, Joe T Garcias, Uncle Julio, and Railhead BBQ(downtown FtWorth) OK --I miss it a little

·
Registered
396 Posts
From a riding perspective you're starting at probably the dullest point in Texas (well maybe Valley View). So it'll get better from there.
What are you wanting to see? Are you interested in motorcycle roads, or are you wanting to see what there is to do and see here?
Among other things I'm a Fort Worth expert, holler at me when you get here.

....louie

·
Registered
583 Posts
From a riding perspective you're starting at probably the dullest point in Texas (well maybe Valley View). So it'll get better from there.
What are you wanting to see? Are you interested in motorcycle roads, or are you wanting to see what there is to do and see here?
Among other things I'm a Fort Worth expert, holler at me when you get here.

....louie
Louie,
Bite me...LOL. I live in Corinth (just south of Denton) and to call this the dullest place outside of maybe Valley View is obsurd. We can go and do anything we want in Fort Worth and Dallas and be there in about 30 minutes. Then we get to leave all the city crap behind and come back north a wee bit.

GM

·
Registered
396 Posts
Louie,
Bite me...LOL. I live in Corinth (just south of Denton) and to call this the dullest place outside of maybe Valley View is obsurd. We can go and do anything we want in Fort Worth and Dallas and be there in about 30 minutes. Then we get to leave all the city crap behind and come back north a wee bit.

GM
Now I only meant dull as in available riding roads.

And if you really want to leave all the city crap behind, there is Valley View!

..louie

·
Registered
19,376 Posts
The dullest place in Texas-------no offense---Wichita Falls
a true arm pit

·
Registered
149 Posts
Every year I make the trip from Phoenix thru El paso to Brownsville, the place of my birth, and back. Now that is an arm pit! We have also used I-40 East and down to Dallas, Austin, Corpus Christi and Brownsville. South Padre Island is fun. It's true, Texas is a very diverse country. They just need real mountains. I mean no harm to you Texans. I love two wheeling all your roads. Oh yea, follow the Rio Grande down to the end is a great multi day ride. Why do I ride to South Texas every year? All my family live there.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts