GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to the show this evening and the bike is stunning! I want one.

No test ride bikes at this show.

The Honda display was jammed with folks genuinely interested in every feature of the bike. I really couldn't even get a good picture, too many people milling around. They have a Blue six speed Tour, Red DCT Tour, Gray Goldwing and Brown Goldwing on display.

One of the bikes, the brown Goldwing I think, had the amplifier installed. If you are thinking of adding this be aware it takes a up a good amount of space in the left saddlebag. I was surprised how much given there is not that much to begin with.

The helmet lock is a little different. It is an T shaped piece of metal that slides through the D rings then inserts into a slot along side the passenger seat area just below the passenger's thigh. I just saw it for a minute then they took it off and stored it someplace. Not sure how well it works but at least it is there.

It should be easy to fit some type of highway pegs where the black tip over pad is below the engine. The pad is just a piece of plastic that snaps right off. It is covering a steel tube that runs from the frame.

As is the case with my Harley NAV system the Honda NAV also does not display the posted speed limit along your route. A nit I know but darn it, I like that feature. Every other Nav system on the plant does that why not Honda? According to the rep even their cars don't have that for "liability reasons" Really? That is about the worst thing I can think of to say about the bike so I guess I am in.

I have been riding mostly BMWs and Harleys in recent years so I can not compare this bike to the newer model Goldwings but I will say it feels right when you sit on it. Ergonomics are spot on for me at 6'-2" 210.The TFT screen and dash area is well designed. Everything is easy to read indoors, hopefully outdoors as well. I am looking forward to getting a chance to test ride it in the next few months.

·
IronMan
18,482 Posts
good info ! FROM WHAT I HEAR / READ SHOULD DO PRETTY GOOD ON SALES.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just got back from the show as well. The rep confirmed Harmon made the GPS and they are trying to work it out so you don't have to go to the dealer to update your maps. He said they have an online route planner that outputs GPX files. He did not know if Garmin's BaseCamp GPX files would be 100% compatible.

I asked the rep why they eliminated 40 liters of storage and he replied that it was what the Wing riders wanted. He said they don't use the storage and didn't want it so they got rid of it for size and weight goals (I'm thinking, which wing riders did you talk to ???). I asked why they cut the mirrors in half and removed the safety lighting from the trunk and they said they would pass the questions back. The pre-18's mirrors have much more visibility IMHO.

The handle bars have a nice reach and angle including going from full left to right without straining.

I walked away a bit underwhelmed from a touring bike perspective.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Saw the new wing yesterday. Love it! Unfortunately, I do not have the cash to purchase right now. Hopefully in a couple of years.

Concerns I was able to address in person.

Highway pegs/crash bars. They have a rubber/plastic cover. Very easy to take off. Spoke to Kuryakyn, they are working on a mount to add highway pegs to front crash bars.
I laid the bike over on it's side, the crash bars are very adequate to protect the engine/saddle bags.

Headset/intercom Spoke to John at JM, he is working on a wired headset adapter. He committed to making and selling one.

Seat: It looks good, but like all stock seats (to me) aren't very comfortable after 30 minutes of riding. I will have to get a Russell seat.

Dashboard/gps: Dashboard looks awesome! The gps is not touch screen. I don't understand why every manufacture just doesn't integrate a Garmin system. I will be adding a Garmin to my 2018

Trunk/saddlebags: The bike looks really cool with the design of bags and trunk. They are not big enough for a two up multi day trip. I crawled under the back of one. We will be able to mount a hitch. Uni-go will need to be added for trips with the wife.

Colors: They didn't have a white one there. The brown is ugly (to me). Everything else looks good. I asked about yellow...... which we all know is the best color. "maybe next year" was the answer.

·
Love The DCT
12,593 Posts
As is the case with my Harley NAV system the Honda NAV also does not display the posted speed limit along your route. A nit I know but darn it, I like that feature. Every other Nav system on the plant does that why not Honda? According to the rep even their cars don't have that for "liability reasons" Really? That is about the worst thing I can think of to say about the bike so I guess I am in.
Problem is when speed limits change, that change does not always get updated in a timely manner. Case in point. There is a stretch of highway not too far away from me were the speed limit dropped from 65 to 60 mph. That was at least three years ago and it still has not been updated in the gps updates for the Garmin in my cage.

In this litigious society, I can see Honda's point. Someone is going to be speeding along and get stopped for speeding. They're going to claim they weren't speeding because the gps said the speed limit was "such and such." Some would sue Honda because of the incorrect data.

:doorag:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was also at the bike show yesterday. I was disappointed. The bags and trunk at even smaller in person than I imagined. Why Honda did that, is beyond me. In all my rides, I have yet to ever hear another rider complain about having too much luggage/storage space on their bike. NEVER have I heard that complaint. Never heard anyone complaining about having too much fuel capacity either. NEVER heard that. I rarely (if ever) heard Goldwing "owners" complain about the bike being to heavy. We all knew the bike was heavy when we purchased it! Most of us were very impressed by how well the bike handled, regardless of weight. I don't know what Honda was thinking. I read, Honda is focusing and appealing to another younger groupset. That may work. At the same time, I'm betting they are going to lose a certain groupset. Taking into account research and development cost and the opportunity to knock it out of the ball park again (like they did when the GL1800 was first introduced). I wonder if that expense is going to work out for Honda. I'm not sure either way. I will say, Honda has probably the nicest Sport Touring machine out now!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Saw the new wing yesterday. Love it! Unfortunately, I do not have the cash to purchase right now. Hopefully in a couple of years.

Concerns I was able to address in person.

Highway pegs/crash bars. They have a rubber/plastic cover. Very easy to take off. Spoke to Kuryakyn, they are working on a mount to add highway pegs to front crash bars.
I laid the bike over on it's side, the crash bars are very adequate to protect the engine/saddle bags.

Headset/intercom Spoke to John at JM, he is working on a wired headset adapter. He committed to making and selling one.

Seat: It looks good, but like all stock seats (to me) aren't very comfortable after 30 minutes of riding. I will have to get a Russell seat.

Dashboard/gps: Dashboard looks awesome! The gps is not touch screen. I don't understand why every manufacture just doesn't integrate a Garmin system. I will be adding a Garmin to my 2018

Trunk/saddlebags: The bike looks really cool with the design of bags and trunk. They are not big enough for a two up multi day trip. I crawled under the back of one. We will be able to mount a hitch. Uni-go will need to be added for trips with the wife.

Colors: They didn't have a white one there. The brown is ugly (to me). Everything else looks good. I asked about yellow...... which we all know is the best color. "maybe next year" was the answer.
I wish I would've been there when you leaned the bike all way over on it's side to test the crash bars. I do recall people getting a chuckle outta the front "crashbar". Very small, and plastic. I assume it's probably covering an unfinished ugly piece of metal, covered by a piece of plastic for looks. I have to assume, unless it's gingerly laid down on it's side, that piece of plastic will have to be replaced. I also wonder, if the bike is actually dropped, if those crash bars will protect without "any" damage.
No doubt those bags and trunk are not big enough for anything, let alone a two people ride. I like more than that when I go alone! That's a deal killer for me. It didn't look like I could get my two helmets in the trunk, but I doubt Honda would be dumb enough to make a trunk too small for two helmets. I don't think????
Personally, I don't see much sense in getting a bike 80 lbs lighter, than adding a few 100 lbs in trailer (and expense).
At the show, they had a few Goldwings. Some had the standard seat, one on the lower level had and optional (or aftermarket) seat. Only time will tell how good those are. Easy fix either way. I liked the Rootbeer color, I think. You say yellow? I've always read, Titanium was the coveted most loved, fastest color out there. Are you sure?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wish I would've been there when you leaned the bike all way over on it's side to test the crash bars. I do recall people getting a chuckle outta the front "crashbar". Very small, and plastic. I assume it's probably covering an unfinished ugly piece of metal, covered by a piece of plastic for looks. I have to assume, unless it's gingerly laid down on it's side, that piece of plastic will have to be replaced. I also wonder, if the bike is actually dropped, if those crash bars will protect without "any" damage.
No doubt those bags and trunk are not big enough for anything, let alone a two people ride. I like more than that when I go alone! That's a deal killer for me. It didn't look like I could get my two helmets in the trunk, but I doubt Honda would be dumb enough to make a trunk too small for two helmets. I don't think????
Personally, I don't see much sense in getting a bike 80 lbs lighter, than adding a few 100 lbs in trailer (and expense).
At the show, they had a few Goldwings. Some had the standard seat, one on the lower level had and optional (or aftermarket) seat. Only time will tell how good those are. Easy fix either way. I liked the Rootbeer color, I think. You say yellow? I've always read, Titanium was the coveted most loved, fastest color out there. Are you sure?
FWIW, here are the 2018 naked crash bars:

·
Registered
92 Posts
FWIW, here are the 2018 naked crash bars:

Aahhh, thank you. It appears maybe the idea was to hide the total crashbar. More to it, than just that little piece revealed hidden by the plastic. Wonder how the balance is on that/those crashbars? Enough weight below to keep rubber touching, or easily flipping onto the handlebars and saddlebags? Just curious how functional as opposed to cosmetic they are. I know I dropped mine (probably 6 minutes after I purchased it). I don't remember how it balanced out. That was back in 2008. It was one of those; oh craaaap, no, no, no - Oh forget it!! I can't hold it up. Plunk!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
When my 2001 went over I was not able to slow it down. I was standing on the left and the bike went right. I was smart enough not to try to stop it. I learned that from trying to stop my previous Wing and injuring my arm. I expected to see damage on the side bags and the mirror cowls. Nope, Nada. Looking at it on its side I could see that only protectors touched the ground. I was surprised that momentum did not take it past the point where nothing touched. Once it was upright no amount of careful inspection would have been able to tell me that they would work so well. I hope that this is the case woth the 2018.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I thought I would go ahead and post my crappy cell phone pics here from the LB Show since there were very few posted from the NY Show.
It was difficult to get pics of the red Tour DCT up on the lighted stage due to so many people crowding around it.
Jefro.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Thanks for the photos Jefro1! You do need a new iphone 8, though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.