GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed a search here and on line and couldn't find the info I need. I am taking two long trips this season. One in a few weeks for some 4000 miles and mostly using hotels. The second in September using hotels and campgrounds for about 7200 miles. I think I'll need extra space for all my junk. In the past I have just used my old Army backpack but that is hard on machines. I would like to keep my GW unscratched if I can.

Any recommendations for luggage? The Saddlemen BR4100 seems like a fit but I worry about it not having a rain cover since I ride right thru rain storms. With my luck it will rain thru both trips!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Do you ride solo or two-up? If you ride solo, Nelson-Rigg makes a very nice bag that sits on the passenger seat and secures to the bike with built-in bungee cords, which attach quite neatly to the rear crash guards and antenna mounts. The bag is not waterproof, however, although it does come with a waterproof cover.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ride solo.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like the T-Bag, Tahoe model. The way it unzips lets you get to everything from the front of the bag and not down from the top. Has a rain cover and fits on the passenger seat. Does not stick up above your body so not an issue with the wind when riding. Can easily be secured to the passenger handles. If I need additional space I have a light weight luggage rack bag for rain gear, cover and tools. Don't like to put to much weight on the rack.

Good Luck with your search.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Just completed a search here and on line and couldn't find the info I need. I am taking two long trips this season. One in a few weeks for some 4000 miles and mostly using hotels. The second in September using hotels and campgrounds for about 7200 miles. I think I'll need extra space for all my junk. In the past I have just used my old Army backpack but that is hard on machines. I would like to keep my GW unscratched if I can.

Any recommendations for luggage? The Saddlemen BR4100 seems like a fit but I worry about it not having a rain cover since I ride right thru rain storms. With my luck it will rain thru both trips!
If you ride solo, its easy. I have a special bag designed for the Wing that mounts to the rack on the tail trunk that holds my bike cover plus drinks. I use a cheap, black luggage bag I bought at Walmart for a few bucks and bungee it on the rear seat for clothes. If I'm expecting rain, I simply cover these bags before mounting with black garbage bags....never a problem. Then if I need more room, I bungee a second bag on top of the first, also enclosed in a garbage bag. The tail trunk and side bags are used for assorted bike related gear. I have the special tank bag made for the Wing by Electrical Connections to hold cash for tolls, wallet, camera and passport, plus the map cover for hard maps.

I've never found I couldn't carry everything I reasonably wanted this way, but I only travel solo. Add a significant other though, and all bets are off...

·
Registered
208 Posts
We rode through days of rain between AZ and Duluth MN using cheap flea market duffel bags.
It rained enough CB shorted out but the stuff in the bags stayed dry.

I painted the zippers with seam grip
then I hung them in garage and sprayed them with scotchguard water proofing
And packed things inside of 18gal heavy 2.5mil white garbage compactor bags as liners.
The white liners are a lot easier to find stuff in vs. the black interior of the duffel bag.

10years later the interior of one bag is deteriorating... I think the scotchguard is dissolving it... but its a cheapie bag to start with.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have the Saddleman BR4100 back seat bag and its wonderful, I use it on all my solo trips (mine don't leak) I also have a packet it rac, and when I camp I have a small cargo trailer. With the trailer and the back seat bag I well covered for anything I should need....

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
The Nelson Rigg GWR-1000 is a nice size (20.00”(L) x 11.00”(W) x 11.00”(H) bag to strap on the back seat. It's on sale right now at Motorcyclegear.com for $129.99. Includes a waterproof cover.

Added: By the way, this is the same bag that you get with the Pakit Rak system. It just doesn't have the Pakit rak logo stiched on it.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Where is your 4k trip taking you? I have a Pakit Rak but can see how luggage on the passenger seat may be less of a hassle except when you want to get in the trunk.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where is your 4k trip taking you? I have a Pakit Rak but can see how luggage on the passenger seat may be less of a hassle except when you want to get in the trunk.
I'm driving to Fort Lauderdale and then just cruising thru the South on my way back. The whole trip will be about 3 weeks so I'll have to have clothes, etc for that time.

·
Registered
924 Posts

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I'm driving to Fort Lauderdale and then just cruising thru the South on my way back. The whole trip will be about 3 weeks so I'll have to have clothes, etc for that time.
You really only need about three days worth of clothes. A lot of motels and camp grounds have coin operated laundries for guest use. Or you could stop at a laundromat. When I am on an extended trip I try to stay at a motel with a guest laundry about every three days. Really cuts down on the amount of clothes you have to pack.

I usually pack two pair of jeans in case I run into rain and want to change into a dry pair. Enough socks and underwear for three or four days and several weather appropriate shirts. Then I do laundry as needed.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
You really only need about three days worth of clothes. A lot of motels and camp grounds have coin operated laundries for guest use. Or you could stop at a laundromat. When I am on an extended trip I try to stay at a motel with a guest laundry about every three days. Really cuts down on the amount of clothes you have to pack.

I usually pack two pair of jeans in case I run into rain and want to change into a dry pair. Enough socks and underwear for three or four days and several weather appropriate shirts. Then I do laundry as needed.
:agree: I wear the same jeans to ride in for 5 days or more depending on whether I rode in rain or they got dirty. I carry an extra pair to wear for nights out. Wash my LD Comfort shorts in the sink every night and pack 5 or more t-shirts. Really don't need much else. How dirty can jeans get sitting a an MC all day?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I put on my rack off the trailer hitch if I don't want to take a trailer but still want my archery gear with me adn my fishing gear. THat helps alot too. I carry two pairs of jeans - 6 pairs of socks and a pair of shorts and swim trunks and one nice shirt and my runners and keen sandles. 4 pairs of underwear hoodie and a nice raincoat.

this is her REALLY loaded up.....note the rack with my Pelican bow case for my recurve and longbow and arrows.

·
Registered
669 Posts
It really makes no sense to haul around a pile of dirty clothes ;) pick out your clothes and then cut the pile to one third. .... :lol: use the motel laundry. You should be able to pack everything in the wing if you travel solo.If you need extra space a small dry pack ( like the kayakers use ) on the seat should do it.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Take less stuff!!

I agree with wingleader09 and jerrieric. After several long distance trips I realized at least half of the junk I was hauling was unnecessary. Do you really need that expresso maker, or the dinner jacket. I take enough changes of under wear and socks to go for 7 days. Wear jeans for up to 5 days. Then stop and do laundry. I used to take a cooler but now I just buy the drinks on the road. No ice to screw with, and a lot more room for important things like my DVD player and movie collection.:lol:

Seriously take a hard look at what you plan to take. LESS IS MORE!!!

I do not have a trunk rack and will not install one. Everything I need is in the trunk or saddlebags.

Have fun,

Rayjoe

·
Registered
801 Posts
My solo choice also

Do you ride solo or two-up? If you ride solo, Nelson-Rigg makes a very nice bag that sits on the passenger seat and secures to the bike with built-in bungee cords, which attach quite neatly to the rear crash guards and antenna mounts. The bag is not waterproof, however, although it does come with a waterproof cover.
I use this all the time when rding solo. Works great and Nelson-Rigg stuff lasts well in my experience.

·
Outta Here by M2
1 Posts
My advise is to go through your underware and t-shirts and find the ones that really need to be thrown out. You know the ones, your old favorites that have holes in them, but you wear them anyways. Pack them and when they get dirty, trash them. Chances are you will buy T-shirts from places you visit and they are usually clean and wearable at that point. One quick stop at Wally World gets you a clean package of drawers, socks too. Who really wants to stop and wash clothes?

Free advise and worth the price. :lol:

John

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
screw doin laundry on a trip !!! supposed to be a vacation not a chour!1 just my opinion .unless your on trip over week . i take enough socks/underware plus 1. use waterproof bag i bought online for $50 beleive 60 liter. has rolltop and fits nice on backseat.dont forget sunscreen

1 - 20 of 43 Posts